It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Wow, Runninggal, that's incredible about the almonds! I used to be a crunchy peanut butter fanatic before this surgery, along with popcorn, but it seems I won't ever get to eat those foods for a long time as the hardness might irritate me like those almonds did you.

I hear you about being terrified of the prospect of having to go through this kind of surgery again; that's my main fear when I see the blood or feel the pain is that it might mean I need to have something fixed. And to be honest, Runninggal, if I did, I don't believe I could do this again, and my surgeon better have another way to heal me besides this horrific procedure.

I think my bleeding at the end of my bm has to do with the size, and firmness of the stools; and sometimes if I don't get enough sleep the strain on my body has made me bleed when I go. I appreciate your sharing those details; I can't tell you how much it helps me to read what you are going through, to know what can be normal even in the future for me and really help to ease the panic and despair.

I've never had to deal with a surgery that is so slow to recover from and was so bad that I am petrified to have anything go wrong that could mean a repeat surgery. My family just doesn't understand how I could not be healed by now, and that I could be having pain, not just my husband, but my parents, siblings, all relatives, because what surgery takes so long to heal, is how they look at it? It's not that they're being indifferent, they just can't understand the delay, how come I'm not up and about like normal.

The other problem I have is that I still seem to have some kind of discharge after I go that keeps me moist down there and I've been fighting diaper rash and irritation for the first time in my adult life. Desitin, Vitamin A & D and corn starch powder have been no relief. I'm like thinking, will this wetness ever go away, or will I now have to battle diaper rash for the rest of my adult life?

I did try Milk of Magnesium the 3rd day after my surgery, but I got very uncomfortable cramps from it; however, to be fair, I had also taken mineral oil and colace on the same day, as I hadn't gone to the bathroom for 3 days, and it was my first time to go. But, I swore that I wouldn't try it again. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean the supplement magnesium? I have to say that magnesium gives me diarrhea, and I don't want to go too many times either.

I've been thinking of taking some vitamin a & d for wound healing but I am afraid if the cod liver oil capsule will make me have diarrhea if I take it while I'm taking colace, or maybe it might make me bleed. As you discovered, some stuff can induce bleeding, like roughage that irritates like your almonds, or stuff that thins the blood or increases blood pressure, like like vitamin e for me.

If wish I knew for sure that even though I have some bleeding when I go, and have pain if I try to sit on a hard surface, that I am okay in there and don't need any healing. I don't know if I've had an anoscope exam, but to be honest I am terrified of my surgeon using a hard instrument to open my rectum now to look inside and possibly causing me new injury. At this stage I don't feel ready for an internal exam. I see my surgeon next week and I am prepared to slug him if he tried to examine me inside right now---well, not really slug him, but threaten to maybe. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #17

runninggal HB User
HA! Oh, go ahead Tammy, slug him!
Regarding the magnesium, I am talking about the supplement, Elemntal Magnesium. The capsules are the best. I use Nature's Blend, 300 mg 3 x per day. The dosage is very individual. Try just one caspsule and adjust the dosage up until you get the desired effect.
For your "diaper rash" issue...have you tried Calmoseptine? It is a medicated cream that creates a moisture barrier and helps heal skin irritations. It is used in hospitals a lot. My surgeon told me about it. Although they don't normally stock it in drug stores, speak to the pharmacist and have he/she order it for you. I did and it only took 2 days to get it.
About friends and family totally NOT GETTING IT about the horror of this surgery. I found most of my friends listened politely, while not hearing anything I said. My husband and parents have been understanding, to a point. I actually started to lie when asked "how are you feeling?" Even if I was having a B+ day, I would say I was a C-. That way, they didn't expect an A+ the next day. I'm sure you know what I mean.
You are definately not alone, sister!
Hang in there.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Talking

Runninggal, thanks for the tip on the Calmoseptine; I just purchased a tube online, in ointment form, as it sure beats having to drive to my local drugstore in my condition. I did a search and found lots of places selling it online.

Question on that magnesium: I've read that it can backfire to take one vitamin or mineral supplement by itself for a long time as lots of them require balancing with others---is this regimen something you plan to do only short term while you heal? Or, is this something you plan to take forever? I also read that you should keep your stools soft for a least 1 year after recovering (ha, ha! I'm having trouble keeping them soft just day to day, much less a year!).

Also, have you encountered this problem? I still can't sit down to pee most of the time, as this gives me uncomfortable pressure down there in the surgery area. However, standing to pee has given me 2 damn yeast infections in the last 3 weeks! And now that I just got over treating the last, and stil have to stand to pee, I feel another one coming one, becuase the pee runs the wrong way when I stand up.

I'm getting real tired of using monistat to treat the infections, as I get stomach cramps from it. Did you get yeast infections when you had to stand to pee? My drawback is that I have urinary frequency; I guess if I only peed every 2 hours life would be easier, but with all the water I am forced to drink to keep soft stools, and my regular frequency after eating, it leads to a lot of peeing!!!

Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #19

runninggal HB User
Tammy, I plan on taking the magnesium indefinately. My internest said that there is no problem taking it. As a matter of fact, there is a side benefit in that there is some new medical research that found that people who suffer from migraine headaches (me) are low in magnesium and can benefit from taking supplements.
Oh yes, I had difficulty urinating sitting down. The pelvic floor has to be relaxed in order to urinate and this is virtually impossible when you are have rectal pain and muscle spasms. It took several weeks for me to pee sitting down on a consistant basis.
Interesting that you should bring up yeast infections. I never had a yeast infection until I had this surgery. Initially, I had the first yeast infection from the post-op antibiotic. My GYN prescribed Diflucan and it worked within 24 hours. However, I kept getting horrible vaginal itching for weeks. Finally, I stopped taking sitz baths and tried to keep the area very dry. Still, I couldn't get rid of the itching. Then I changed my brand of sanitary pad, from the ultra absorbant to the cotton-like type. It made a HUGE difference. You and I live in very humid climates and those absorbant pads are like moist, breading grounds. Anyway, now I only need a mini pad, but I only use the cotton type and haven't had a problem since. Also, my Gyn told me to apply hydocortisone 2 X a day to the area and that also helped. Just thought I would share that with you.
I told my surgeon that I think he should start a hemorrhoidectomy post-op support group where patient's could talk about their shared experiences and he laughed, thinking I was joking. Nice, huh?

Old 08-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
runninggal you've been a breath of fresh air, I couldn't have gotten this far in my recovery without your replies. Let me tell you, recovery from this surgery can be so bad that it warrants a support group! My despair sent me online looking for any kind of peer information or feedback 4 weeks ago. I wasn't interested in reading all of the literature on ideal healing circumstances, as I needed to read about people having hard times like I was, and how they got through it, and how long it lasted. I can't understand why a surgeon wouldn't understand how critical to the healing process it can be to talk to others experiencing the same problems and sharing coping methods, pittfalls and mile markers along the road to recovery?

However, maybe surgeons are afraid such a support group could backfire on them, and cut down on local surgeries, if word gets around that such a support group exists. I mean if a surgery is so horrible that the patients needs to be a part of a support group, a lot of people are going to think twice about having the surgery in the first place, and this could mean less money for the surgeons, right? After all, what is more important: morale support for distressed patients, or a steady influx of paying patients?

You know, runninggal, I haven't used any pads of any kind because I did the first week of my first hemorrhoidectomy and the pad would irritate my butt hole, and I don't know if that added to the scarring, but out of fear, the second time, I totally avoided any kind of pad. My vaginal itching only started when I started peeing standing up, and not when I spent hours in the tub the first few weeks.

I know it is because I am peeing standing up, as the few times I ventured sitting down, I don't get irritation from the urine or burning, but as soon as I start standing up, I feel the burning, and the start of a yeast infection. When I pee sitting down, the urine flows to the back, away from me, but standing up, the pee flows to the front of my vagina (and all over my legs if I'm not careful!!!). Oh well.

You know, it's weird, just writing and sharing with you my woes and reading your woes, really is extremely helpful. The little things you share which are just like I am experiencing really makes me realize this is all typical, for someone in our position. :}

Old 08-27-2003, 10:54 AM   #21

mrse HB User
Hi. I just read your messages back and forth as I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. I need to have a sphincterotomy due to an extremely painful anal fissure. However, the doctor said that I also have an external hemorrhoid and possible internal as well and if he felt it necessary at surgery time he would remove them. I told him to just do it and get it over with as well as remove skin tags that I have from previous ones. Now I am reading how much pain this operation can be and am wondering if I made the right choice. The sphincterotomy has a pretty good recovery period but the hemorroidectomy sounds like it could be a nightmare and has me a little worried. I hate the way the skin tags look (although who sees it besides me and my husband lol) and it's very hard to keep clean but does that warrant the need to go thru anal hell??? Please let me know what you think. I'll be looking for your reply. Thank you so much....

Old 08-27-2003, 01:11 PM   #22

runninggal HB User
Hi Mrse,
You are about to have the exact same surgery as I did. I also had a chronic fissure w/skin tags, internal and external hemorrhoids. My pain had become so intense that I would be in agony for 6-8 hours after a bowel movement. My gastroenterologist advised me against having the surgery, due to the horrific pain associated with a hemorrhoidectomy. I had been dealing with the hemorrhoids and fissure for over 10 years (after delivering my first baby). However, they had always eventually resolved on their own. Not this time. I suffered for 8 months, non-stop and finally decided I couldn't take it anymore. I made an appointment with a colorectal surgeon, who had come highly recommended and was scheduled to have the surgery. Quite honestly, at that point my quality of life was close to zero and I wanted my life back.
You have read the posts between Tammy and myself, so you know that we both had complications.
I knew going into the surgery that the recovery was going to be rough, but I was not prepared for the level or the duration of the pain.
Three months later, I do not regret having the surgery, but I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone.
Hopefully you will have a great outcome and not have to suffer the way I did. Be sure you have caregivers in place before your surgery. You will need care for at least 2 weeks. I needed someone with me for almost a month and I went into the surgery in excellent health and physical condition.
Good luck on Friday. If you have questions, or need support, I'll be happy to help you.
Wishing you a safe surgery and a speedy recovery.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #23

mrse HB User
Unhappy

Thanks so much for the quick reply. It sounds like we have identical situations leading up to the surgery. I am in constant pain and have no quality of life so I'm thinking how much worse can it get...well now I know. Hopefully I won't have complications but I am very nervous now and I wasn't before. Thank God, my parents live next door and I have good friends who have also offered to help with my 2 kids. I was planning on possibly going to my son's baseball game Sunday but something tells me that won't be likely I will let you know how I make out....

Old 08-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #24

runninggal HB User
mrse, don't despair. Although this surgery is Hell, life without fissure pain is more wonderful than I can describe. It just takes several weeks to get to this point.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but forget the game this Sunday...absoulutely no way could you do that 2 days post-op.
Hang in there!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:47 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
MRSE, I was completely disabled by my surgery, meaning that my husband had to do EVERYTHING for me for the first month. From the start, I couldn't go to the bathroom on the toilet. My surgeon had given me a postop sheet instructing to go to the bathroom in a tub full of water. I thought that was gross and balked at the instructions, but it turned out to be the only way. I hope you have an ideal recovery but if not, let me share with you how I coped, so if you run into the same problems, you can do the same.

First of all, my initial surgeon instructed to take ducolax laxative, 2 of them---this was a bigtime mistake for me because it made me go 12-20 times violently each day, and contributed to my butt hole getting deformed, and ruptured my suture inside so I had to get emergency surgery only a week later.

My 2nd surgeon's instructions, who performed the emergency repair, didn't have ducolax, but instead he said to take 2 colace stool softeners with increased fiber, and stay away from nuts and other hard to digest items. Well, that was much better, only it took me 3 weeks to find out that I needed 3 not 2 colace to make my stools soft enough, and also I needed to add bran to move the stool out by itself, because the 3 cups of oatmeal I ate only added bulk, it didn't make the stool move out by itself.

You will find that it is essential to your recovery to get your stools to be soft, to move on their own without your having to strain and to have bulk. The reason you want them to move on their own, is before my surgery I always usually had to push some to go, but after the surgery, pushing even a little made me bleed. It may seem contradictory to have bulky stools, but you see you don't want stools too small, because you don't want your butt hole to constrict during the healing and get smaller and make future going hard. Bulky stools will help your butt hole to not get too small as it heals---think of it like having to wear an ear stud when you just had your ear pierced, you don't want the hole to close up (okay, you're butt hole won't close up, but you get the idea).

Now I found I couldn't even pass gas without climbing into the bathtub. Fortunately, the water acted as a soft buffer to my rectum and allowed me to pass gas while at the same time supported my butt hole and keeping me from having pain. In otherwords, out of instinct my butt hole was spasmed shut from the pain. I found that when I had in the past had hemorrhoids rubberbanded to get rid of them, that my butt hole had reacted the same way, clamping close. I knew that the bandings were healing by the time I could pass gas. Passing gas, though, became for me during this surgery, a worse problem, then it was with my rubberbandings. I resorted to using GasX after meals to cut down on gas, and at bedtime. It did help for the first month, but I eventually cut it out, as passing gas got easier.

For the first 2-1/2 weeks I had to eat meals in the bathtub and stay in the tub until the gas passed. Just the start of gas made my rectal hole balloon out painfully, because my butt hole refused to open. So I would have to hurriedly undress and get in the tub, then the gas would pass with the support of the water. I found relief in a reclining chair later, where I would have my husband wheelchair me after dinner to the recliner and I would get in there and stay until the after meal gas passed, as the soft recliner seat helped to support my rectum during the passage of gas.

I started out just renting the wheelchair, but ended up buying it, because it turned out to be the only seat I could sit in besides the recliner, since it had a soft seat of nylon that yielded. With a cushion on it, I could sort of sit, I say sort of because I had to lean back still and stay off my butt hole. My first 4 weeks were spent squirming often in any seat as I fought to find a position that wasn't painful. The first 3 weeks I ate reclined in the recliner, and this wasn't easy to eat lying back, then I moved to eating at the dinner table in the wheelchair. I still have to eat in the wheel chair, but I recently bought a Director's Chair that has a soft material seat where I will eat dinner in, using the same 4-inch foam cushion I recently got for the wheelchair.

Going in the tub was another horrible experience, but I found ways to cope. Let me share mine:

First, the water had to be so it reached my belly button when I sat down--this was what the doctor said, as this helped the muscles to relax to go. The water also had to be comfortably warm, because cool/cold made me feel bad, and the warm water helped me to go. It couldn't be hot, though, as this can increase swelling and bleeding.

It wasn't any fun doing this, but my husband bought a couple of drain covers, and lysol disenfectant. The challenge and problem was having the tub full to the right level, with the water kept at the right temperature. My husband got into a routine that everytime he went to the bathroom, he would add new hot water while he went, to keep the tub ready. Sometimes that meant draining some water from the tub, to allow enough hot/warm water to bring the temperature to the right feel.

I soon learned that it was best to use a strainer to take out the stool, using a paper plate held under the strainer and dump the stool into the toilet. Otherwise, if some stool went down the drain, soon enough the drain would get clogged. This was an emergency, since I could only pee, pass gas, and pass stool in the tub. It happened once at 2 am, and we had to call a plumber to do an emergency repair right then, even though we were both dead tired. It was a living nightmare.

Plus, since sitting in the tub isn't the right natural position to go, and I would get tired trying to lift my butt off of the tub floor in order to go, instead of the stool passing out in one sitting, it would take me 3 separate times to go. It got to be horrifically tiring cleaning the tub out, draining the water, washing the crap off my body, getting out of the tub, disenfecting the tub, drain cover and shower head with lysol, washing it out, then filling the tub, only to have to go again sometimes before the tub even filled.

I got severe fatigue from all the work, that I finally had to go through the humiliation of calling my husband when I went and having him transport the stool to the toilet, and then he would pull the drain and I would have to sit there until it drained and then wash myself. After 2 weeks of this, I got too tired to do even that and just sat in the yucky tub until the second and third time I went, finally cleaning up.

The other difficulty was that I found, that besides that my sphincter had been cut and resown, and the cut hurt like hell, that the sutures were a source of a lot of pain because they felt just like my butt hole was sewn with packaging cord that didn't yield or stretch. So it made it hard to go just from the pain of the dissovable sutures. Also, I was forced to take the pain pills the first 5 days but the pain pills gave me terrible constipation, making my stools like hard small pebbles, and those hurt to pass. But, going in the tub did help.

Still the pain of going was so great that I coped with it by having a small TV by the tub and would turn it on before getting into the tub. Looking and listening to the TV gave me something to focus on other than my pain and the anticipation of the bowel movement or passage of gas. However, this tv took AA batteries and it cost me $100 on batteries initially, but I was dependent on the TV. After I realized this was going to last much longer than 7-10 days to get better as my surgeon had told me---and because of the costs of the batteries, which only lasted 3 hours, which means I had to turn off the tv whenever I left the tub, and then scramble like a crazy person while fighting the urge to go, to turn on the TV in time, as I undressed and tried to get in the water in the nick of time---I set up a small TV I had that ran on the AC.

I made sure to put this TV on the AC, on a chair 10 feet away from the tub on the opposition wall, and ran an extension cord from it up off the floor, on the wall, over the doorway, to the outlet, held by ducttape. This was a great help, as I could leave the TV on 24/7 and only turn the volume up or down, but keep it on an entertaining channel that had no commercials or shows that mentioned anything about pain or bleeding, as this really stressed me out at the time.

When I had a bowel movement, the normal background noise of the tv and the light-hearted TV shows helped, but I also had to stare up at the ceiling without moving my eyes and pray as I went, in order to relax enough and endure the passing of the stools.

It came to the point of going in the tub, that I had 'forgotten' how to go on the toilet, and I began to worry if I ever would be able to. But, after 2-1/2 weeks I did venture to go on the toilet, as it seemed harder to hold myself up in the tub, and I saw that the unnatural position of sitting with my legs out in front of me on the tub floor, took away from the natural gravity that sitting on a toilet does to start and help your stools out. I did go in just one sitting, but bled a bit. However, I had succeeded to go out of the tub and on the toilet. From that point on I did my bm on the toilet, but I still had to pee for a bit and pass gas in the tub.

After another week, I could pee out of the tub, but standing up. A few days later I could pass gas out of the tub, but still had to sit down to support my rectum or the pain because of the stitches, would be too great.

During all of this time I could only hobble when I walked and not stride out, or I would pull the stitches in my butt hole, and boy, would that hurt. After a month, I called my doctor and asked him when the stitches would dissolve, because they seemed as thick and strong as the first week, and I knew they were the main source of my pain. His nurse told me that I could come in to have the outsides one removed, or I could do it myself. I opted to do it myself, and found that it wasn't too hard.

This ended up being a great relief and a new problem. It seemed that cutting the sutures outside somehow made the ones inside lose their support, and it made me feel, when I lay down and didn't have the support of a seat against my butt hole, that my insides were going to come out my butt hole, especially when I tried to sleep, as I couldn't clamp my butt hole as I could when awake to stop that feeling. I was forced to strap my butt cheeks together with medical tape to support my rectum in order to sleep; within a couple of hours the feeling passed. The nurse said it was okay to do this. For the next 10 days I had to sleep with my butt cheeks strapped, and unstrap them carefully (and as fast as possible!) to go to the bathroom. I then graduated to not strapping, but just putting a cotton t-shirt against my rectum for support.

I am now at the stage where I don't have to do this all of the time. After I had taken the outside stitches off that I could, within 4 days I could walk a lot better, and a lot of the pain had diminish. I still, though, had the same pain inside from the stitches in side, that restricted me and stretched painfully with bowel movements. As I had guessed, once those came out with a stool a week later, within a few days that inside area started to feel a lot better.

Though tons better, I still have to go through certain measures to go the 'right kind of stool' in the morning. My problem I faced when I started going on the toilet, was having a bowel movement before my body was ready so that the bm only came out partially, causing me a lot of grief, since I couldn't push. That meant spending the whole day and night with the remaining stool 'stuck' in my rectum and it felt like a rock scratching me in there, until the next morning when my body would go on its own again.

Eventually, I got it down to a science, that if when I woke up, I went to the bathroom and peed, to take the pressure off my rectum, and then got back in bed, then my husband would bring me a soupy bowl of hot instant oatmeal with a glass of 10 oz of steaming hot water, that having those 2 items would jump start my bowels completely.

I then scramble to the bathroom, raise the volume of the tv, then, very importantly, take the time to smear a glob of vaseline on my butt hole before going, as this acts to protect and lubricate my butt hole (the vaseline bit, I started doing while in the tub; and I always made sure to dab it off, as vaseline should not be left on wounds). I barely get undressed before the stool passes out of its own, and, usually for the rest of the day, I am okay. But I have to use soft wet cotton balls to dab myself clean, and after I go, it is best if I sit or recline (I can't actually sit upright or I will hurt myself), until the feelings in my butt caused by the passing stool, go.

Since I've learned not to even try to sit upright on any hard chair, even with cushions, at this stage I don't have too much discomfort after going. But, I still am not totally healed, and I have to make sure my stools are soft and come out on their own. I didn't ask for this surgery, and I might have done well with banding, but a surgeon told me it would be less painful than banding. I can tell you that was a horrible lie. The first surgeon who deceived me about the severity of this operation, also performed this on me in his office. I was not told how painful the recovery could be, and that there could be complications.

If you have to have this surgery, then you have to. I hope that you will recover easily, yet you could have to deal with a tough recovery as I did, and if you do, you will be desperate to figure out how to cope along the way, and so that is why I took the time to share my methods here, to show you how hard it was for me, and that, yet, I did get through it.

The good news is that, despite the terrible unbearable pains and difficulties, I am here today, now 7 weeks later, and getting each week closer to a full recovery. While I can't still drive, or sit up in hard chairs, I do feel often close to normal, that is after I have my stool, because I still feel there as if I've had a face lift, but in my butt, where the tissue is all taut and not yet healed whenever I have a bowel movement.

I can tell you I sobbed horribly many days, felt suicidal many days, cried out to God, prayed, joined all kinds of prayers lists, had friends and family praying for me, and really, really suffered. Prayers helped me mentally to cope, even though I'm not sure they made a bit of difference in the difficulty of healing, but the mental help and emotional help was super important. And, finally, the information I got here, in this very posting, made a tremendous difference for me, to hear from others who had gotten through a tough recovery, and see that a lot of what I went through, they had also gone through, that it was normal and didn't mean I had something terribly wrong that meant more surgery, and also receive important tips to deal with some problems that my surgeon just didn't have answers for.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #26

mrse HB User
WOW! I totally apreciate you taking the time to give me all this info. I went to my surgeon today and told him I wanted to go back to having the fissurectomy and to only do the hemorrhoidectomy if absolutely necessary. I had just figured I might as well get it all done in one shot but after reading this site changed my mind...lol Anyway, I am so glad that you are starting to get some relief. My girlfriend had a hemorrhoidectomy last year and she was up and about after 4 days. Pray that I have the same results. She did say it was 4 days of hell but that it was better after that. Her husband is also an anesthesiolgist so she had some good drugs lol....Seriously, I really appreciate the replies and I will pray for you as I pray for myself and I will check in as soon as I can and let you know how it went. The best to all of you...

Old 08-28-2003, 12:31 PM   #27

runninggal HB User
mrse, remember that you always have the option of rescheduling this surgery. A decision like this shouldn't be made in haste.
I also considered just having the fissurectomy and sphinterotomy, but in my case, the fissure was actually caused and exacerbated by the internal hemorrhoids. It was an all or nothing choice for me.
Good luck tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM   #28

mrse HB User
I don't have the option of re-scheduling...the pain now is too intense. Waiting this long has been a nightmare and fortunately this is a holiday weekend so it gives my husband an extra day of being home from work. The doctor did say that if the hemorrhoidectomy needs to be done he'll do it which was ok with me. I just didn't want him to do it unless really necessary. This sight has been so helpful. I feel prepared with lots of helpful remedies if things do or don't go smoothly. I have no unrealistic expectations. In fact at this point I'm expecting the worst and if it goes better, great! I feel very confident in my surgeon and I guess the rest is up to genetics. I recovered great from my 2 c-sections so let's hope for the best.I'll be in touch soon.

Old 08-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #29
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
mrse, don't be afraid of the hemorrhoidectomy, remember, runninggal and I both had complications, and mine were due to the fact that the surgeon didn't operate professionally, and did so in his office. When he cut my artery, and I had high pressure bleeding, he and his nurse just stood there laughing in shock.

Then he injected freezing material into my rectum, and sent me home with poor pre-op instructions for my condition.

I have to tell you this: I had 4 hemorrhoid rubberbanded before, and then I had this hemorrhoidectomy done twice within 1 week, and I can tell you it is better to get pain over with in your butt hole just the first time around, because it seems to become less possible to bear the pain, with each successive procedure.

So, if you have confidence in your surgeon, and you are in the pain you say you are in, then by all means give the go ahead to your surgeon, but be prepared for the worst afterwards, if need be. The worst for me was the unknown and that I had no supportive information or feedback during the grueling 4 weeks.

I also have health problems like frequent urination that made recovery several times harder than what the average person faces. At least you are going into this fully informed. If at all possible, I would ask your surgeon to use more than a single running stitch, if he has to do the hemorrhoidectomy, because my first surgeon only used one and it broke at a bowel movement, and I was bleeding to death.

The next surgeon used 3 stitches, and this time it held, but, damn, I was angry at the first one for just using a single stitch on a high pressure bleeding artery.

Take care and keep us posted when you feel better afterwards.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:22 PM   #30

mrse HB User
Hi girls. I had the surgery today. On my way home after an hour and a half, I called a couple of friends and told them I felt better than I did before the surgery.....then the numbness apparently wore off! By the time I got home, the throbbing started. I am taking Lortab 10/500 which is twice as strong as Vicodin. They only bring relief for about 2 hours before the pain is severe again. It feels like I have to have a BM but I'm sure it's just tremendous pressure as I really haven't eaten anything. Could it be the packing inside that is so painful? Once I pass it will it help? I am greatly looking forward to a sitz bath in the AM but the doctor said not before then. The bleeding has stopped so I don't know if it will start again with the BM in the AM. I took 3 colace today so I am hoping after the sitz relaxes me I won't be too bad. I'll let you know how things go. So far routine pain I think. Excrutiating, but routine....thanks again for listening and helping. It's 12:30 am so I am hoping the pill I took a 1/2 hour ago will kick in so I can sleep. Talk to you in the morning.

Closed Thread