It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 11:06 PM   #31

runninggal HB User
Smile

mrse, wow! The fact that you are coherent and sitting at your computer typing, only hours after surgery...unbelievable. Did you end up having the hemorrhoidectomy? So far, your experience is nothing like mine...lucky you.
I'm so glad things went well for you.
My surgeon did not pack my rectum, so I can't help you on that account. The feeling of fecal urgency is normal. Your muscles are spasming and will probably continue to do so, in one form or another, all through your healing process.
Please continue to post your progress.
Sending you healing thoughts!

Old 08-30-2003, 05:55 AM   #32

mrse HB User
I did end up with the hemorrhoidectomy too. The doc said I had a very large internal one that was right on the fissure...guess THAT would explain the agony for the last 2 months...He also took care of the external ones, at least from the little I can see. I don't really remember much of what he said after the surgery so I'll find out when I go for my office visit Tuesday. This wireless laptop has been a Godsend. I can lay on my stomach in the bed and still type. I feel like you guys are my lifeline right now I slept off and on last night for about 2 hours at a time. It wasn't horrible though. I took enough pain medicine and won't be too proud to continue doing so for the next couple of days. Greatly looking forward to my first sitz bath and how things turn out at the toilet...where else can you talk about this stuff where people don't think "way too much information!" Talk to you later....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #33
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
mrse, just want to help your first few days to be as easy as possible. As you know by now, it is unavoidable to use the pain pills. But, and this is a big but, the pain pills do constipate, and this can lead to complications, such as painful bowel movements and the risk to break a stitch. When you are able, do yourself a favor and switch to over the counter Tylenol for the pain, as this doesn't constipate.

But, during the time you have to take the prescription pain pills, here's my tip:

For me, I found that taking the colace all at the same time, didn't help to soften my stools enough, even though I took 3 at a time and drank enough water to drown a camel (20 real cups). Then I tried taking 2 100mg colace after dinner, and then one right at bed time. Still didn't work so great. It seemed that the first half of my stool was hard, which would cause me hurt, then the last half was soft.

So I figured that I had to have one at breakfast to soften the first part, and then 2 at dinner. These are all 100 mg doses each, as I tried the 50 mg doses and those were like eating sugar candy pills and didn't work for me.

Also, the colace alone wasn't enough. I had to also have 3 packages of Quaker oats instant regular oatmeal at breakfast, along with 10 ounces of steaming hot water. That wasn't enough, though. While the hot oatment and water, got my bowels moving, they didn't soften them, if there was any part that was hard.

I had to add a cup of bran of any kind with my lunch; I took raisin bran. I learned that having any kind of enriched bread or products, firmed my stool, so I had to compensate with enough bran at the same time.

Still, these things weren't enough. I also learned I had to sprinkle about 1/8th to 1/4 cup of bran flakes on my last evening dinner meal, and add at least 3 slices of apple with the skin on and eat the skin for the insoluble fiber, and a little bit of raw salad with the meal that I had the 2 colace with,using a tablespoon of olive oil for the dressing (this worked to help the stools to pass easy), and drink 4 cups of water.

Yeah, a lot right? But as you may know already, you will become willing to do anything and suffer through any kind of dietary discomfort to get soft, self-propelling bowels.

During the first 3 weeks, gas was a real problem. It helped me to take Gas-X 180 mg after each meal and right at bedtime. As my butt hole became able to tolerate passing gas and stretching from gas, I cut back on the gas-x till I really rarely take any, only sometimes have a half pill after lunch, and none the rest of the time, because I am at the stage where I can pass gas almost normally.

If you have to get into the tub to pass gas, do it. Your main focus now should be to avoid any kind of trauma to your butt hole, including don't push out to let gas pass (I made that mistake a few times and would hurt myself and make myself bleed a bit from the gas), as you don't want for any reason to break a stitch. My nurse told me this can be a problem for the first 3 weeks.

I don't know if you got stitches or staples. The traditional hemorrhoidectomy, which is the tough one to get over, is done with stitches. There is a newer method that is purported to take faster to get over, that is done with staples; however the staples one doesn't have the track record or observation history as the traditional one, and has been reported to bring pain 6 months or more after the procedure.

Hang in there; the time will pass, and you will get your regular pain-free rear end back again.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:09 AM   #34

mrse HB User
Hi. Thanks for the advice. Here is where I am at now. Yesterday I took no pain medication from 5am on. I was really gearing up for the first BM and did not want any additional problems. As soon as I got up I took a bath and that was wonderful. Made me feel a little cleaner down there and I was able to relax a bit. I took 3 colace and metamucil. Took baths every couple of hours and later on took another dose of metamucil. Also drank plenty of water. As far as eating, not much cause I was a little nauseous. I had a little chicken Friday, some Wonton soup yesterday, a granola bar, a peach. (My husband bought me a box of chocolates, bless his heart...I think he's trying to kill me! I put those away...)Anyway, I am getting some prune juice and bran flakes to take today. I am starting to get a little nervous that I haven't gone yet. It's not for lack of trying...I have sat in the tub and tried to work it down a bit but there doesn't seem to be anything there. I'm not straining too hard but hard enough to see the possibilities...I also don't know if there is packing inside still that could be blocking things up a bit. Any advice? I know I have to eat a little to get things working but I'm afraid to get things too backed up. Then there's always that panicked thought..."Did he sew the hole closed" Of course that's momentary panic. lol I have passed a little gas and don't seem to be having any other problems. I took 1 pain pill last night to go to sleep at 9pm. I fell asleep in the tub from 9:15 till 10 and then my husband woke me up. I am uncomfortable but not in agony. I just really want the anxiety of the first bm to disappear. Going to get something to eat now. I'll talk to you later...

Old 08-31-2003, 02:26 PM   #35

mrse HB User
WOW! Leave it to an Italian mother...right after I posted last, my mom, who lives next door, came over with homemade matzo ball soup. Within 5 minutes I had my first BM! lololol....It was fairly easy and although it burned a little, it was nowhere near the agony I had before the surgery. After that I sat in the tub for 20 minutes and when I got up I felt almost all the pressure gone. I actually felt good enough that I got myself dressed and had my parents take me down to the ballfield to see my son's baseball game. I can't believe I made it. (He made it worth it too. He went 5 for 6 with 2 that were inches from over the fence!) He said they were for me....it was so cute. It was killing me to miss a game and I'm so glad I got to go. Made the last couple innings of the first game and stayed for most of the second but between the heat (I am in Florida) and the after effects of all the pain meds wearing off, I didn't want to push it. I really feel so much better. Still sore but way better than I felt before the surgery. I hope my recovery continues to go as well as it has. I am so sorry that you 2 had such horrible experiences and I will continue to keep you in prayer. It was hell just the few days I dealt with it. I can't imagine going as long as you did. Thank you for all the advice and I will be checking the site daily to see how you're doing.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:33 PM   #36

runninggal HB User
Smile

mrse~ Astonishing is the only word I can think of to describe your post-op experience thus far. I am truly happy for you. This just illustrates that there is no "blueprint" for how one is going to recover from this surgery. I had a fabulous surgeon, was in great shape and still I had severe complications.
One thing I have learned as well is that there is no one "recipe" for keeping your stools soft and moving comfortably. What works for one person, may not work for you. You have to find, through trial and error, what works best for you and your body. Its sounds like you are well on your way to a healthy recovery.
Keep us posted and take care.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:43 PM   #37
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
mrse, FANTASTIC!!!!! Please, don't even a little, push, bear down, or force yourself to go. When it's time, it will come!! The worst thing you could do is to strain at all, as this is how you could cause yourself complications.

I was constipated for 3 days after my second surgery. I had to take milk of magnesia, also mineral oil---finally I went, and went, and went!!! I hated the cramps from the laxatives.

From then on I stopped the pain pills and took only tylenol at bedtime to help me sleep, because I had really bad pain, as this was the second surgery in two weeks.

My complications were due to the bad job from the first surgeon. Then the hell I went through were due to those complications and the repeat surgery.

So far, it seems you are having an uncomplicated recovery, and maybe you didn't have a complete butt hole overhaul as I did, as mine had to be cut away and rebuilt (yeah, really ouchy as it sounds!!).

Keep us posted, as it is really great to hear from someone in the early phase who is recovering without complications. I think this message thread needs that kind of information.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:45 PM   #38
(female)

SuzyQ0928 HB User
Oh Gosh....how I wish I would have found you guys before I had my surgery....then I might have been prepared for the pain involved in this.

I had my hemmorhoid surgery on Friday 08-29 along with a polyp removed in my bowel area. My doctor warned me that I would 'hate' him (his words) for at least a week afterwards. Hmmmm....I think hating him is putting it mildly. lol For the first 12 hours after surgery all I did was cry. I think I freaked out most of my family...making them think I was dieing, and to be honest, I actually thought I WOULD die from the pain. I don't think anyone out there knows how painful one of these surgeries can be until going thru it, and more should be written about the pain involved. I always thought I was a tough cookie until this weekend...boo-hoo'ing like I've been doing. I have to pee standing up (something I wasn't prepared for) and asked for better pain killers. This has got to be the worst!!
You ladies going thru what you have gone thru has definately made me count my blessings. Today (day 3) I'm actually up and sitting (ouch) at the computer! My heart goes out to you girls!! I know now that I'm not alone in my pain, and that I'm not the baby I was thinking I am.
Wow...here I thought I was the only one getting this damn shooting pain in my butt, like someone is twisting a butcher knife in me! And can you believe all the things related to moving that affect that area down there? I only wish now that I would have searched this surgery online BEFORE I had my operation. Maybe then I would have been more prepared!
Wishing you all the best!

Suzy

Old 08-31-2003, 10:13 PM   #39
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Thumbs up

Suzy, thanks for sharing, but sorry you have to share through first hand experience (yikes!). No, you're not a baby; you're a brave person stuck in something terrible. About the first 12 hours I, too, cried out, moaned and groaned, and couldn't stop writhing from the pain.

I felt really bad for the other patients in the nearby rooms, but I couldn't help myself---it was a primal writhing that couldn't be stopped. If I had been any older, I swear the pain would have killed me. And this was even on morphine and percocet at the same time!

And you want to talk about sobbing...I couldn't help crying daily, the situation was just unbearable. I hadn't been warned even the tiniest bit of the pain. I had been told this was less painful than having hemorrhoids rubberbanded, which I had had before. I more than hated the surgeon that did this to me without any warning, or reason, because I hadn't needed it.

As far as peeing standing up, I still have to most of the time and tomorrow will be week 8. I can pee sitting down when I have a bm, but that only happened comfortably about a week ago. Before that, the moment I had a bowel movement, I had to clamp my butt down and bolt up to my feet, and then pee standing up to keep from pain and bleeding.

Member Runninggal wrote that at 3 months she can sit and pee, so this standing up thing apparently is a normal thing to go through as a woman, if you have had the full blown difficult surgery she and I had. I don't know if it's age related either, because mrse just had her surgery 2 days ago and she hasn't mentioned about peeing standing up, but she could be still going in the tub. I'm 45 years of age, and maybe, if mrse is younger, it could be it's harder for the older gals to recoup from this surgery.

I had to pee in the tub the first 3 weeks. I couldn't even stand up over the toilet bowl and relax my pelvic muscles. So it sounds like you may be doing better there for day 3, but then I had to have the surgery repeated twice in a row, which made it harder.

Hang in there, Suzy. One thing I can attest to is that the time will pass...oh, it will seem like it's creeping by, but eventually you will get past the worst. This can be for some, as it was for me, a long-taking, slow recovery, longer than your family will understand.

You are right----you don't realize just how many parts of you are affected by severe pain in your butt. During the first 2 weeks, ****, I couldn't stand or walk without having to hold my crotch with my hand as it felt like my stitches would burst and I would fall apart, a really creepy feeling, not to mention horrible pain. I have 2 dachshunds that I had to let out a couple of times a day, when my husband couldn't, and standing just outside waiting for them was a nightmare. There was no how I could be comfortable or stand the pressure down there. I had to also put a pad between my legs for support. Thank God that part for me is in the past now.

Don't be a stranger, Suzy, keep us posted here how you are doing---as far as I know this is the only posting online where several patients of this gawdawful surgery's recovery and experience has been listed. I wish I had read this too beforehand so I could have known myself about the pain, but there wasn't anything I could find. I ended up starting this out of desperation and fear that the recovery was taking so long and my surgeon just wouldn't give me any idea of how long this could be going on. This post has been a super help to me, even during this part of my recovery. My heart is with you too. Take care.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:31 PM   #40

runninggal HB User
Tammy, I swear we are twins separated at birth, or something. Our experiences are so similiar, it is scary.
I was in so much pain after the first surgery, I clawed permanent marks on my bed sheets. For the second surgery, I was hospitalized and they couldn't get my pain under control for SEVERAL hours. That morphine drip was pumping at full speed, and still I was writhing in agony. "Primal moaning!" Exactly! And I didn't care who heard me.
Only when I read your posts, do I realize how much of this horror I have actually surpressed. I guess my mind just can't cope with the entire experience. What do we have to look forward to, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...LOL!
I hope you are feeling progress in your recovery.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 AM   #41
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Talking

Runninggal, maybe if we relive our horrible initial days here, we can stop breaking into a sweat at the sound of a bathtub filling with water. I still can't have anything around me bright red, like a towel, or red lint near the toilet, or I will get superstitious that it will bring on rectal bleeding! How's that for stress. More like Post Traumatic Hemorrhoidectostress Disorder

I do think we should get some kind of government benefits due to the horrors we've had to endure (humor, people, humor). I feel like I have been wounded at war, but it's not the kind of war wound I can show off.

I'm doing loads better now at 8 weeks, but I still can't sit in any hard chair, but why would I want to if that hurts me inside? I'm doing good in my husband's Lazy Boy recliner, my soft nylon seat wheelchair, and my new padded canvas seat Director's Chair with the 4 inch cushion. I still have bowel movement anxiety, as I have to make sure my stools are soft and self-propelled.

I realize now that I don't want to repeat the huge mistake I made after my 4 hemorrhoid bandings---I thought the procedures turned my butt hole into Super Butt Hole, able to take straining at 250 pound pressures, able to take stools so hard they could cut diamonds. After each banding healed, I was reckless with my diet. Boy, was I wrong. Within an average of 5 months I would end up with new bleeding hemorrhoids that had to be treated with new bands.

I learned too late that after bandings you need to keep your stools soft and self-propelling for at least a year afterwards. But now I think you have to do this for the Rest Of Your Life. You can be sure now I will take that knowledge to make sure I will never abuse my butt hole again, and risk creating new hemorrhoids. I now wear a Be Kind To Your Butt-Hole shirt, as this has become my new motto in life (not really, folks!).

Here is a Hemorrhoidectomy Survivor's test question:

What is the best kind of stool?

Soft & Self-Propelling!

Old 09-01-2003, 04:06 AM   #42
(female)

SuzyQ0928 HB User
Tammy

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. As you can see by the timing of my post, I'm not sleeping. LOL Sleep? What is that?

Like I said earlier, the experience you and runningal went through has me counting my blessings. I don't think this is something one heals from very fast...geesh, I can't even get any comfortable sleep, and then I wondered why my doctor said I couldn't go back to work for two weeks!! And here I thought that I'd be able to get LOTS done around the house during those two weeks. Ha!
Now the thought of that 'first' bowel movement has me shaking in my shoes. Ughhhhh.....just passing gas is hell itself!! And honestly....I can't believe I'm sharing with strangers the happenings of my butt!!LOL Oh well....all modesty is out during this situation. =o) Thanks for making me feel like I'm not some weirdo and that I'm not alone.

Suzy

Old 09-01-2003, 04:31 AM   #43
(female)

SuzyQ0928 HB User
One more thing....I just read your post above....too dayum funny... Be Kind To Your Butt Hole t-shirt!!

And as you know...laughing makes my arse hurt even more!!!!! LOLOLOL

I hope mrse (?) and runninggal are doing good with their recovery. mrse...where are you and how are you? Since we both had our surgeries around the same time I'm interested in knowing where your at in recovery. Me, well, I'm still pee'ing standing up (LOL) and am starting to have what someone wrote above as the dreaded 'bowel movement fear' thing. Haven't had one yet...don't know if I even wanna have one.

I'm stickin' with the pain pills for now. It's the only thing that helps me forget the pain in the arse I'm becoming. =)

Suzy

Old 09-01-2003, 04:42 AM   #44
Veteran
(female)

Tammynoska HB User
Suzy, this is what helped me sleep. At first the prescription pain pill, one before bed time helped. But then the pain pill constipated me, and forget about that!

I then found that tylenol right at bedtime really did help with the pain and also helped me to sleep for about 4-6 hours, all without constipating. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are out of the question, because they promote bleeding, by the way.

Then I would get up and have another tylenol, after 4-6 hours of sleep and go back to bed. The tylenol also made me have a bit of gas, but I solved that problem by having a Gas-X right with the Tylenol. At the same time I would nibble, and I mean nibble because I didn't want to eat too much to go to the bathroom, a small piece of a sweet bun to keep my stomach from getting upset with the Tylenol.

After the first 2 to 2-1/2 weeks I could do without the tylenol at night. When I had been taking the tylenol, I hadn't taken any pills during the day though, so I would be more sensitive to the tylenol come bed time.

However, the first 3-5 days I did take the prescription pain pills even during the day, but dropped them as soon as I saw that it made my stools too hard. Yikes!

I hope you really do feel good enough to go to work that soon, but that doesn't seem realistic. If I had had a job, I would have lost it, because it took me 7 weeks to be able to leave my house. I still have my good and bad times.

My surgeon had said to my mom and husband that in 7-10 days I would be feeling a lot better. Ha! If he had said that I would take 7 weeks to feel better, then it really would have been much better, then I wouldn't have worried about why I wasn't so much better in 10 days as he had said. Oh well.

Trust me, I know just what you are going through, and it is no small experience. I had to get into a tub full of water for the first 2 weeks to pass gas, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am now at the stage where I can pass gas without having to sit down for support or climb into a tub, but I still am not completely normal that way either.

I really think it might take me another 2 months to be able to have a bm without a little bit of bleeding and straining the surgical area a bit. But at least, I am at the livable stage. Hang in there, Suzy. The days will creep by, but they will add up.

Old 09-01-2003, 07:44 AM   #45

mrse HB User
Hi everyone. Hi Suzy. We actually had our surgery the same day. I came home feeling wonderful. Then the numbness wore off lol..I was in agony the first night and took pain pills every 2 hours but had to stop after 6 because the dosage becomes toxic. Day 2 was a little better but I was having BM anxiety. I sat in the tub almost all day which was nice. It cleaned me up and relaxed me but still no BM. I was off the pain pills until 9pm when I needed one to go to sleep. I also had taken 2 doses of metamucil and 3 colace for softening....Day 3 Sunday...I woke up feeling ok but really worrying that the doctor had sewn the hole closed because I hadn't had a BM (not completely serious lol) then my mom made me matzo ball soup and that did it! In 5 minutes I had my first BM. It was a little rough but easier than before the surgery. I sat in the tub for 20 minutes and when I got out I felt such tremendous relief I went to my son's ball game. I think I pushed it a bit cause when I got home I was exhausted and unfortunately had to go to the bathroom again. This time, it was pretty rough. All the packing came out (which is OK) and I was extemely sore. More externally then internally. I had to take 3 pain pills between last night and this morning but it's different pain than before the surgery. This is healing pain, the other was just KILL ME pain. Oh, by the way. I have NEVER had a problem peeeing. I peed in the hospital 20 minutes after I woke up and have been peeing quite a bit (due to the water) without any problems. Even sitting down! BM's I hover over the toilet as long as possible so I don't put to much strain on my butt. It would be helpful if I had a chair or something I could lean on in the bathroom which would make things much easier. I am somewhat dreading today's BM because I am still sore but I am taking my colace and fiber and will hope for the best and keep the pain pills handy. I really feel I am 1000 times better than I thought I would be at this point and am confident that I am progressing at an advanced rate. I don't want to push it too much especially this week because my son has a tournament coming up Friday thru Sunday and I'm hoping to make the trip...we'll see. Suzy, I can only hope that your recovery goes as well as I think mine has. RunningGal and Tammy have had it excessively tough. They both had 2 surgeries with complications and recoveries from hell. I can't imagine going through what they have. I can tell you this post is a lifesaver and lets you know you are not alone, you are not a baby, and everything you're going through is normal. I will keep posting and looking for yours as well. Good luck.

Closed Thread