It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #751

WowThatHurt HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy blues!!! Will I ever recover from this surgery????

Hey Callixtus....how are you getting along?

Old 02-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #752

Callixtus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowThatHurt
Hey Callixtus....how are you getting along?
Surprisingly, good. It's been about 17 days since the procedure and I am, for the most part feeling normal.
Occasionally I feel a pang of pain but it quickly goes away. I am able to walk and not feel any discomfort whatsoever.
My BMs cause some discomfort but I don't feel the need to take a painkiller afterwards.
I am still very cautious of what I eat, and to be honest, I think I will be from now on. Eating alot of high fibre foods like oatmeal and beans.
I've somehow managed to loose enough weight that when I did go back to work this past Saturday, customers made comments. So, I'm thinking that this whole ordeal has had 2 positive side-effects.
1) It got rid of the problem ( so far and hoping it stays gone)
2) Because of the change in diet, I'm loosing weight and feeling slimmer.

I'm taking it slow with jumping back into the regular routine but all in all, I am surprised that I am at the stage that I am so soon afterwards.

Thanks Wow for asking, and I hope everything is going well with you

Be well and stay safe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #753

JASL HB User

Hi anitraw,
Just thought I would respond to you because I can identify with your comments. I will be starting my 5th month after the works of a hem and a fis and it's finally starting to feel better. The nasty burning seems to have subsided for now anyway so I'm positive about that. I have to push a bit and do have some pain during and after a bm. It varies. Some days it's more than others and other days not bad at all. It's easy to get encouraged when things are good and of course vise versa when things are not so good. I was wondering -- you said that you plan on eventually stopping the collace -- how much do you take? I just take one before bedtime and that's it and I take metamucil 2x a day. Actually, I can't forsee stopping any of this because it seems to work. Also keeps me regular with going every morning when I get up. I know a couple of people who don't have our problems but take stool softners at night. One person I know takes a couple every night. She has constipation problems and apparently this helps. What about other "members of the board" - do you guys feel that you will stick with the metamucil and the like to keep things going OK when you are all healed. I wonder that it also serves as a preventative to keep things good and nice for the future. Good health to everyone. And Calle - good to hear that you are feeling better and doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitraw
Gen,

Hang in there you are right on track trust me, you shoud not be feeling a 100% yet. It is going to take about another month or so before you start to really feel good about going to the potty. I am at six months going on seven and I am still having some pain during BM's. But don't get me wrong I feel great and things are almost back to the way they should be, I am going to go off the colace when I end this bottel and see how things are after that.

You are right about the stress but what are you goind to do?? you have to just make sure that you are taking good care of your butt when you can. You don't always have to eat veggies and fruit but you do need to eat the fiber and drink the water that is what is going to help you go without pushing. I have to say to you that you are doing great I mean I don't know how you do it with school and this pain! I know I could have never done it!

If you need anything you let me know and I will see if I can help. I check the boards every now and then but I haven't forgot about you and I worry about you and how you are doing. Good luck and continue healing. Tell your mom I said HI

i hope you're feeling good! thanks for all you've done! my mommy knows i have this nice lady helping me with advice to feel better and you've done a lot for me! thanks, again! bye!
[/QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #754

AMCFAN HB User

On February 4th I had PPH (Stapled hemorrhoidectomy) for internal and external hemorrhoids. I wanted to post my experience to all of you out there who have NOT had surgery and need to. After reading all the posts from everyone that had such a miserable recovery from the traditional surgery my heart went out to you but it also terrified me that I would suffer the same. When my colorectal surgeon mentioned this new surgery to eliminate hemorrhoids, I thought it was the solution for me. Not everyone is a candidate for this surgery but for those who are I must say the recovery is much quicker and less painful. The first couple of days I was sore but manageable pain with TYLENOL only. BM's were not bad at all and I must say in one week time I was feeling very good. The only downside to this surgery is that it is new and there is not much historical data on recurrence. I thought I'd take the risk since I had a friend who had the traditional surgery and his hemorrhoids returned within 4 years. I went for my follow-up yesterday with my surgeon and he said all is looking great. If you go to the internet to research this surgery and look at my earlier posts you can get a better explanation of this surgery. My recommedation is to find a surgeon who is familiar with this procedure and has performed them before. The staples will come out over time and not to worry about that. KingFootie, if you are reading this I'm very pleased with the outcome and recommend this surgery wholeheartedly.
AMCFAN

Old 03-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #755

anitraw HB User

Hi JASL- I am very sorry it has taken me so long to respond I have not been on in a while! UMMMM I started to stop the colace in the last few weeks, I use to take 300mg a day but now I am trying to take 200mg and then next week I am going to try 100mg and the with in the month I am going to stop all together. I did go off the powder metamucil, I am taking one 100mg pill a day and that seem to be ok for me thank god. I am stopping the meds because it is very important for me to try to go back to my normal life and try to change things in my diet like more fiber and things. I think people that have hard stools should stay on the colace because it can't hurt you and if it is good thing then why stop? I mean god knows none of us want to go back the way we were and then have to go have this hell for a suregery again Well I hope you are doing good and contiune to get better.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-11-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #756

JASL HB User

Hi Antiraw.
Thanks for your reply. OK, so we are the same wave length with the collace. I take one capsule (100 mg) before going to bed. I can't see myself stopping this. It seems to help. I also take metamucil liquid twice a day as well, something I would like to get off of eventually, but I don't think that's in the cards either. Are you taking a capsule version of metamucil? Are the results the same as with the liquid? Is anyone else taking the capsule form of metamucil and how are you finding it? I haven't seen the capsule form here in Canada, but maybe I'll have to look harder, although it just might not be available here yet. It would seem to me that if the capsule form is good, then why are we all forcing down that liquid. I realize, of course, that you would still need to down a couple of glasses of water with the capsule but that seems better than mixing the powder form.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-12-2004 at 09:41 PM.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #757

laf HB User

Hi--

I just found this site a few weeks ago and having read all of the posts I was wondering how you are all doing. Walt and Anitraw: have things improved? Tammy: how are you now doing? KingFootie: have those staples come out yet? AMCFan: how are you doing after that stapled hemi? Runninggal: I think I need to have the same procedure done that you did (sphincterotomy, hemirrhoidectomy and fissurectomy) according to one surgeon that I saw 2 years ago. Since then things have been farily well controlled. I feel like I am in a holding pattern---and am unsure when to have this surgery done. Is it better to wait until the situation is interfering with my daily routine, or is it best to go now when I am not in great distress? Any info. ANY of you can share with me would be much appreciated. (I have had hard stools for all my life and have been taking Metamucil for 15+ years and also take Colace 4-5 capsules a day. I have been taking the store brand and will switch today to the brand Colace and see if that helps. )

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your honest and open sharing. It helps to know what to expect since doctors do not want to be upfront about this recovery and the pain involoved.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #758

WowThatHurt HB User

Hi Laf
I had the traditional surgery 4 month ago. I improve with each passing month. That is the key word there. MONTH. Overall, improvements happens over time but there are days of relapse. It is still painful to have bowel movements but with little or no afterburn. I occasionally have some blood streaking. I now have a muscus discharge w/my bowel movements that was never there before. I also still have sizeable 'tags' left around my anus that my doctor says he can 'snip' off. I intend on having them removed next month.
I don't recommend that anyone have this surgery ever. It's more pain than you can ever imagine and doesn't come close to the pain one would have w/hemmeroids. However...everyone is different. My case is entirely different than the next guy who only experienced a couple weeks of mild discomfort.
I wish you luck with whatever you choose.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #759

laf HB User

Thanks, Wow, that does help. i think i will wait until it gets worse as it is not bad now. Just hurts when i go and even then not always. I wil prob. have to have it done someday, but would rather wait until i feel like i have no choice and then the decision will be made for me!!

I hope you continue to improve and feel much better shortly. From reading this thread from the beginning I know that several of the others who had a hemirrhoidectomy done said that their docs told them it was not unusual to bleed even a year later. Of course, if you get an anal fissure that will do it too. isn't life great??

Old 04-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #760

runninggal HB User

Laf, next month, it will be the one year anniversary since my surgery. If you recall from my posts, I had complications that neccessitated that I have the surgery twice, in 10 days. It was a horror that I would never want to relive. Like childbirth, there is no way to describe the pain, unless you live it and childbirth was a picnic compared to this surgery.
That being said, I still have no regrets about having had the surgery. My fissure/hemorrhoids flared and subsided over a decade, but the year prior to my surgery, I was in constant agony. I had to go through hell to get here, but I finally have my quality of life back. I have said it before, pain is the ultimate motivator. No one can tell you when you are ready for this surgery. It is entirely up to you. Believe me, you will know when the time is right.
Hang in there.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #761

hannahkate HB User

Hi everyone, I am new to this board. This is the 11th day after my hemorrhoidectomy and I finally feel like getting on the web and asking some questions. This has been the worst experience of my life. Having babies is a breeze compared to this. I had a saddle block, along with some versed to make me loopy. Before they let me go home, the feeling came back and thus started my agony. The doctor prescribed valium, a pain killer and a stool softener. None of these brought my pain under control. After the first BM, I prayed to go into a coma for two weeks. I couldn't run to the bath tub fast enough. The burning sensation just wouldn't stop.
The doctoreven suggested advil, which from what I am reading from these posts, if not a good idea. I went back last Tuesday for my first post op visit. I was previously on coumadin for atrial fibrillation and came off of it for the surgery. He said I could go back on it. Well the first day there was an enormous amount of blood in my stool. What do you do for the burning sensation? I have to pretty much take large amount of these drugs to bring it under control and then sleep the day away. I hate this because I hate sleeping my life away, but it beats enduring the pain. Are there any topical ointments you use to soothe the burning? My doctor is not helpful. His comment was "You will hate me the first week", "tolerate me the second week" and "love me the third week". I told him I'm surprise he is still living.

Please please give me any advice you may have come up with to soothe the pain. I take about 10 tub baths a day.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #762

WowThatHurt HB User

Hi Hannah
You pooooooooooooor thing. I remember exactly where you are all too well. I had the surgery 4 months ago and it still hurts to have a bowel movement. The good news is...it doesn't burn anymore afterward. But it did for three months. Just not for a full 8 hours afterwards like it does for you now. I too spent the majority of my day baking on narcotics in the tub crying and moaning. I too had the blood and still bleed w/b.m.'s on the occasion. Don't worry about it...you're body has been through a TREMENDOUSLY invasive procedure and bleeding is all a part of it. I was prescribed a steriod cream after 6 weeks and it helped the swelling and pain big time! I don't know about loving your doc after 3 weeks. I'm thinking thats quite an aggressive time frame. My doc told me that it would take about 2 weeks and when I saw him last week his response to my complaints was, "Relax! It's only been 4 months." Everyone is different but know that we have all been where you are. You have a loooooooong recovery to deal with but I swear you will get better. Hang there in!!!

Old 04-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #763

hannahkate HB User

Thanks for the encouragement, I think. I am on leave from work and told them I would be back after 3 weeks. I'm not sure about that now. I have some hydrocortisone cream I used for the hemorrhoid pain prior to surgery. Is this the same cream you are talking about? My doctor's name is Dr. Coyle (I'm serious). He has a cream he sells to his patients and it can only be purchased at a compounding pharmarcy. It doesn't seem to help. Nothing seems to help at this point other than being in a drug-induced stupor. I'm fortunate that all my children are married and my husband is very patient, because if I had that responsibility to deal with, everyone would starve to death around here. The doc said that I seemed to be healing, except for the swelling and spasms. Today, I just had a bad episode this morning and got it undercontrol in about two hours. The rest of the day I made it fine. You never know what the next bm will bring though, so you dare not leave your house for fear of having an episode and you can't just jump into bathtub in a store or restaurant.
Have you gone back to work. How do you deal with this at work?

Have a great weekend.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #764

WowThatHurt HB User

I'm sorry I didn't sound so encouraging. This is an absolutely horrible experience and there is no way around it. I do promise it will get better though!
I am a fulltime mother to an 8 year old and a 5 year old. I couldn't have imagined having had the responsibility of a job throughout my recovery.
The cream I used was a hydrocotisone cream...prescription strength. My doctor said he didn't give it to me earlier as I needed time to heal. Your spasms and swelling will be under control soon. The burning is the one thing that lingers the longest. Know that you will come to have great days and then all of a sudden, you will have a set back out of the blue. Just something else to prepare yourself for
You too have a great weekend...as best you can at least. My thoughts are with you!!

Old 04-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #765

ftpcity HB User

I have been reading this post last few days and gathered lots of useful info. thanks for all the information posted so far.

I've had internal Hems for almost 10 yrs and the situation has become worse last few months. I could not continue this any more and decided to have the surgery. Consulted the surgeon and made an appt for surgery on 30th this month.

The doctor said that i have one big hem and may have few more inside. He could not check further as i was already in considerable pain when he tried pushing the big one inside. He said that the surgery is reqd on that one and will rubberband the other ones(if any). One thing i've found strange from my conversation with the doctor is that he said that i should be back to normal in within 5 days(in fact he recommended surgery on Friday so that i can go back to work on Wednesday or so!!!) . From the posts so far, i think this is way toooooo optimistic and i wish it indeed takes 5 days to get back to normal!

One thing i wanted to ask is regarding enema? The doctor said that i need to take 2 enemas the morning of surgery. With hems is it painful to take enema? Any suggestions/tricks on doing it the easy way?

Closed Thread