It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #991
(female)

badjingle HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy blues!!! Will I ever recover from this surgery????

hi eklavu,
i do not know the technique that was used on me - sorry. i will ask my doc next time i see her. your husband is lucky to get pain shots i only got darvocet pills. i think most stool softeners all act the same and if you go to your local drug store the pharmacist will be able to help you. i know mine are the store brand generic kind and have 100 mg of ducusate sodium. maybe your husband needs more fiber to bulk his stools up a bit. i believe a male of his age should be getting around 35 g of fiber. there is a thread on here that talks about metimucel and fiber and harry goes into a bit of detail regarding fiber. you can also find information on the web. overall, it sounds like your hubby is doing very well.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #992
(female)

nikita101 HB User

Is this type of surgery the norm for external surgery?
Have read most of the postings here and am waiting for an apt to see a colon/rectal surgeon and am quaking in my boots!
I have ext. hemms. and pain which has abated a little and bleeding as of this morning.
what is the least invasive quickest to recover from form of treatment??
have 3 small children and husband away until late dec....
wish me luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #993
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Nikita,
Everyone is different and recovery is also different but after surgery you have to make sure your stool is soft and regular. So you don't have any complications???

Last edited by Harry; 12-08-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #994
(male)

joephuong HB User

I really need help.
I had Hemorrhoidectomy on DEC8,
4 days later i didnt have any BM and the doctor fixed me up by enemas thing. He also told me to use Lactulose instead of SEnokot as Senokot doesnt work for me. Then 10 days later, the Lactulose thing worked nicely, i have around 4-6 BM per days. After 10 days, i feel almost no pain and i can sit or moving as normal but the Lactulose doesnt work. I have no BM for 2 days already even i take the Lactulose. I wonder what can i do to have BM, im scared of constipation. DId this happend to any of you ? Pl reply as im so confused and scared now.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #995
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow Re: Hemorrhoidectomy blues!!! Will I ever recover from this surgery????

You need to take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil at least twice daily and drink alot of water like the directions say. It is safe to take daily. Also, the stool softener should help.

Last edited by Harry; 12-24-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #996

punkiepixie HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy

Hello everyone, it's been months since I have posted and I am back. My surgery was almost 2 years ago now; summer of 2004. For the history read my previous posts. Like s76 I had the what looked like hems after the surgery, took almost 2 months before I could return to work (2 weeks my bum!) and have struggled with finding the medicine balance. It seems that everything that helps also hurts, such as pain meds that relieve the pain but cause constipation, and the RX creams which also cause constipation.

For months I felt better and dare I use the word "normal" and then it happened. I started bleeding again, painful bms, unable to sit, afraid to use the toliet and afraid not to. Last time I went to the Dr he said my condition is chronic. It will come and go for the rest of my life and will be completely dependent on my body.

Chronic is an interesting term that I am really just beginning to understand. I drink loads of water, in fact, I rarely drink anything else. I take benfiber everyday and some with meals, depending on the type. I have found benefiber to be the absolute best. I take a stool softener every morning. I take a sip of Milk of Magnesia MO (means with Mineral Oil) every night. Yes, I drink it right out of the bottle.

When I staffed with my DR what I was doing and if the amounts were enough or too much he said, you take what you need as you need it. Uh huh. How long? I asked. Chronic, he said, basically forever or until you don't need it anymore. On the bright side, non of the meds are contra indicated.

The worst part of all of this is answering the question, "What is it that you have/suffer from?" Constipation/hemm/fissures/FEAR and it's all chronic. Fortunately, the FMLA (family medical leave act) enabled me to document this with my employer and when I do have tearing/bleeding/intolerable pain, I can take time from work without fear of losing my job.

What's the point of my rambling. Partly y'all are the only people who understand. Partly, to share some meds tips with others, partly to share my experience of the healing process and partly to ask for some help with diet.

Has anyone found any links/books/recipies/diets for foods that are easy to digest, don't cause constipation? I found a bit of help on the Lupus site, but I'm not having much luck with diet. I feel have tried it all. Perhaps I just haven't tried it in the right combination?

Thanks, Punkie Pixie

Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #997

punkiepixie HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy

I almost forgot. In an earlier post someone asked about medicines that can be prescribed and it reimnded me. My insurance company pharmacy plan no longer covers ibuprofin (I know, are they kidding?) but they do cover other drugs in the same class NSAID. The one I got was disomething sodium. THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE. My relapse after all of those months of "normal" pooping and bowel health was caused by that drug. Perhaps the sodium part should have beena tip, I don't know. All I know is I want to share with all of you, be sure to read the possible side effects, including the extremely rare ones (as constipation was on this drug) it's so not worth it to take a chance. I will tell you right now, the pharmacy can have my money, I'm sticking with ibuprofin from now on.

Closed Thread