It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #1

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post CAT Scan vs Barium Enema

I've had both done....and colonoscopy and Endoscopy. I recently had a bad diverticulitis bout.

Why would they do a Cat Scan vs a Barium Enema vs a Colonsocopy ? Anyone know ??? They've already decided I had Diverticulous with the colonsocopy.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Inactive

CDauthier HB User
Re: CAT Scan vs Barium Enema

A cat scan can determine if you have an abcess or a perforation from the diverticulitis. The cat scan will be better for you at this time as you don't want to have a colonoscopy right after a bad bout of diverticulitis..the colonoscopy could cause a perforation. Be thankful you have a wise doc!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #3

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post Re: CAT Scan vs Barium Enema

Thanks a lot. That's kinda what I thought.....but wasn't sure if he was looking for something else.

One more question...why a prep for a CAT SCAN ? Had several cat scans, but not one with a prep ???

Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

gomer4 HB User

I have had 2 Cat scans.....one scheduled, one in the ER. They don't like you to eat the day of the scan, but I never prepped for one like I did the colonoscopy.
I do remember the doctor telling me after the ER CT scan that he didn't see an abscess.
Blessings........I am going to have a resection the first of April. Enough with this flare up business! I feel like it a bomb waiting to explode. And I can't seem to figure out when! How many flareups have you had?
Lori

Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Blessings There you are!!! Cathy is right.....the CAT scan and Barium enema are useful tools as far as assessing the colon for the severity of diverticulitis in terms of perforation/abcesses and the amount of tics (pockets) and location of them.

A colonoscopy is not done until 6 weeks following an infection due to the high risk of perforation since the colon remains quite inflammed following an infection.

How many infections have you had, Blessings??? And how was it treated???

The usual treatment at minimum is bloodwork, a CAT scan, and antibiotics with a resting to the colon via a lo residue diet for 4 weeks or so. Usually a first infection requires a weeks stay in the hospital on IV antibiotics. After that, depending on the severity of the symptoms and catching it prior to it infecting the entire colon, it can be treated at home with the use of oral antibiotics and diet.

They say that divereticular disease runs rather aggressively in those younger than the age of 50 often requiring a surgical resection (hemicolectomy) in which the affected portion of the colon is removed and then rejoined to the rectum (anastomosis). It is considered a major abdominal surgery but often is chosen as a way of improving one's quality of life in terms of repetitive infections which could ultimately cause a perforation requiring emergency resection surgery with a temporary colosotomy and reversal at a later date. A good friend of mine went through that and ended up in ICU for a month with sepsis (infection into the bloodstream) and having his spleen removed as well due to the amount of infection it had to it. So it is extremely important that you find a highly qualified gastroenterlogist who will evaluate your diverticular disease and the specific risks involved to you.

Some people, depending upon the extent of the diverticuli and their location, can go on to live pretty healthy lives without surgical intervention by just watching their diet (eliminating seeds, nuts, popcorn etc.) and adding fiber to it in order to prevent constipation. Unfortunately, I was not one of them and had my resection 22 months ago. The surgery went well and I must say I am so happy that I had it because since having it I have not had an infection and am able to eat everything without any problems.

I hope the info I gave you helps you in terms of alleviating any of your fears. If and when the time comes that you should require surgery or are contemplating it, please feel free to pop on over to the Resection thread on this board, for there are plenty of us over there who will help answer any and all questions or concerns you may have.

Hope all is well....

Special (((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #6

Cyborg_Ninja HB User

I thought the barium enema was a CT scan? Augh. I wish I knew this two months ago.

Last edited by Cyborg_Ninja; 02-28-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Closed Thread