It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
(male)

MrBl HB User
Tiny blood specks in stool

Hi All,

I'm not sure if posting here will help ease my mind at all, but I figured I'd throw my symptoms out there and see what folks thought. I'll say right up front that I've seen my doctor and a gastroenterologist and have a colonoscopy scheduled for April.

In the first week of January, I had some blood on the paper when I wiped. It was strawberry-red and was gone after the first wipe. I didn't see any blood in the stool and figured the blood must just be irritation. A few days later, I had the exact same thing. I have not seen this since.

However, since then, I've been paying close attention to my stools, and have noticed what appear to be specks of blood of that same strawberry-red color. They are very small, and probably unnoticeable unless you're looking for them. I am a vegetarian, so my stool color is usually light brown or tan, so even small red specks are pretty obvious.

These symptoms seemed to come on around the same time that I decided to start eating healthier. As I said, I'm a vegetarian, so I never ate much fat, but I also didn't eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, so I've been making an effort to do so. I consider myself healthy - 27 yo, 5'8", 135 lbs, work out 3 to 4 times a week, and run 2 miles on the tread during each workout. I feel good overall.

I had a physical in mid-January, where the doctor did routine blood tests. The tests came back normal, except for liver function, which was elevated. I had an ultrasound, which showed gallstones. They have not caused any pain and the gastroenterologist said he'd probably advocate leaving them alone. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the bowel issue.

Both my doctors assumed hemorrhoids, but since I have a slight family history of colon cancer, my doctor scheduled a colonoscopy to be safe. The thing that has me worried is that I've assumed (probably incorrectly) that symptoms from hemorrhoids would subside over time. The blood has been consistent with every bowel movement - not any better, not any worse. My stools are usually soft, as I drink a lot of water. They are normal size and texture, though I have had more movements per day in the last couple months. I've assumed this is from all the fresh fruits and fiber I've been eating, but I'm not sure. I have not had much abdominal pain, though now the slightest gas pain or back ache has me worried. I'm sure those pains are just from working out and eating beans/soy, but it still gets me worried.

I also believe I might have had little bit of mucus coating one bowel movement, but I only saw this once.

So, after all this, I guess my questions are:

- Would hemorrhoids cause these very tiny but consistent specks of blood I've been seeing with every bowel movement, even with reasonably soft stools? Shouldn't I be seeing improvement if that is the problem?

- Given the symptoms (but also the fact I feel fine), is April too long to wait for a colonoscopy?

- What else could this possibly be, given that I don't really have any other symptoms other than the blood specks?

Sorry for the 'book'. I appreciate any comments and input. Thanks!

Rick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Tiny blood specks in stool

Hello Rick,
Bright red specks that look like blood --- probably are.
As you may know if it is bright means it is fresh and not had a chance to oxidize-- that will turn it darker.
The rectum is about 8" long so I think the blood could only be coming from there or your anus.

The most probable things are hemorrhoids a fissure.

I certainly think all rectal blood should be checked out.
You are proceeding properly!

Being a veggie person you may not be getting enough water soluble fiber in your diet.
All fruits and veggies including nuts and seeds contain mostly insoluble fiber.
The inner parts of grains, beans, peas are soluble. Also, root veggies like potatoes (sweet &white), carrots, beets, turnips and chicory root are all mostly soluble.

Soluble fiber is bulking fiber and insoluble fiber does not absorb fluid but may contain fluid but causes food to move by intestinal muscle contractions. Insoluble fiber is sort of more abrasive than soluble fiber.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
(male)

MrBl HB User
Re: Tiny blood specks in stool

Thanks for the insight, Harry. Good information regarding eating habits. I'll try to see if I can keep a balanced amount of different fiber in my diet. Otherwise, I'll just try to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best.

Thanks!

Rick

Closed Thread