It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

concerned grand HB User
Question about a Barium enema

Hi,
My husband goes to the VA. They have scheduled a barium enema instead of a colonoscopy.
He is not having problems just a routine test. I asked why they couldn't do the colonoscopy first. They said it was best to do the barium enema first.
Does this make sense?
Thanks,
Concerned Grand

Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

outnabout HB User
Re: Question about a Barium enema

This doesn't make sense to me, I have had a colonoscopy and several barium enemas. They can't get all of the barium out of your intestines after the enema. If they don't do the colonoscopy first you would think that they would not be able to see everything with whats left of the barium. Just yesterday i had to go have a manomitry test, a defocography study followed by the barium enema. They had to do the manomitry test first because i had to be completly empty for it (no barium).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #3

concerned grand HB User

We called the VA and asked them again "Why the barrium enema?' They said that is what they do and if they find any polyps , then they schedule a colonoscopy in a few days. Makes no sense to me!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

The only thing I can think of is a barium enema is less invasive... and I guess some hope they will see what they need to see in the barium enema. If nothing is present in a barium enema, and there are no symptoms of any problems (as you say its just routine and he has no symptoms), then there really is not much need of doing a colonoscopy. Sedative is needed during a colonoscopy and your husband would be "out of it" for most of the day. (Not sedated for most of the day, just "giddy"). The barium enema requires no sedative. It's really personal choice.

However, if they plan on doing a colonoscopy anyway, it would not make any sense.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #5

concerned grand HB User

Thanks for you replies!

Closed Thread