It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

tinkerbell4dg HB User
my colonoscopy is coming up

Hello everyone,
Well I will have my colonoscopy on thursday still not ready for it..I am really not worried about the test or what they will find I am worried about be sedated..I have been haveing panic attacks the last couple of days. my doc fineally gave me some atavin to help...I just wish Thursday will hurry up and get here..Well thanks for lisening..my husband is getting tired of it i think...
steph

Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: my colonoscopy is coming up

I had an endoscopy in Dec. with sedation - not a problem at all! I don't know what they used, but one minute they were telling me to turn on my side and the next minute the nurse was calling my name! Right after they wake you, you stand up (the nurse holds you for a minute because you may be a bit wobbly), then I just went and had my little muffin with a guy who just had a colonoscopy! (I don't know why they give you something to eat and I don't know if they do that all over or just at that particular place.) Not an unpleasant experience at all. Good luck! It's not anesthesia (sorry, can't spell that!) like you'd get for an operation (at least I don't THINK it is! I never had an operation! But from what I heard of anesthesia it's totally different. Like with anesthesia I heard that you get groggy and fall asleep quickly, with THIS sedation it was BANG - immediately! Then with anesthesia I heard that you get nauseated. I definitely was NOT nauseated! That blueberry muffin tasted good! So don't worry about it at all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

I know it is hard not to worry, but you will do just fine! Like Sunlover said, the anesthesia is wonderful! It is conscious sedation, I believe the term is. I have had it for carpal tunnel surgery and dental surgery as well. You don't remember a thing, but you are awake enough to follow directions if they need you to turn, or something like that. I have been told that I "doze off" though, so I don't think I would be following any instructions. Good luck, it will be over with quickly. And I didn't get a muffin, but I did stop for a doughnut with my designated driver. Then you will go home and possibly have some gas for a good part of the day. Just take a little nap on your tummy and then you will be fine the next day!!

Renata

Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsQueeZ
I know it is hard not to worry, but you will do just fine! Like Sunlover said, the anesthesia is wonderful! It is conscious sedation, I believe the term is. I have had it for carpal tunnel surgery and dental surgery as well. You don't remember a thing, but you are awake enough to follow directions if they need you to turn, or something like that. I have been told that I "doze off" though, so I don't think I would be following any instructions. Good luck, it will be over with quickly. And I didn't get a muffin, but I did stop for a doughnut with my designated driver. Then you will go home and possibly have some gas for a good part of the day. Just take a little nap on your tummy and then you will be fine the next day!!

Renata
Tinkerbell, mine wasn't conscious sedation, I mean there was no directions given to me during it, I was just out really fast until they woke me.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

sturgeon HB User

Tinkerbell... I have had 6 colonscopies & in every one I had an IV with the
2 drugs they administer. One is Demerol, don't recall the other's name but
one is for pain & the other induces forgetfulness. You won't mind it a big, one
minute you're wide awake & in a few seconds you're unaware, in fact I think
I slept thru all of mine. Please don't worry about the sedation, it is nothing
at all.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

tinkerbell4dg HB User

I want to thank you all for your replys..You are all awesome..I am a nervous wreack...Thanks again for everything..

Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Tinkerbell,

I have had two colonoscopies. I was out or at least I didn't remember anything from the minute they put the meds in the IV. Since I knew what was coming with the second one, I said to the nurses--"I need a nap--good night."

I remember being very scared of the unknown before my first one. You are very lucky to have this board to ask questions to.

Let us know if you have any other questions. What prep are you doing?

Maggie

Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
(female)

tinkerbell4dg HB User

Hey,
I have to drink the big drink..not sure if i will beable to do it..I am going to start it early..thanks again for all your support,,

Closed Thread