It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

mickey56 HB User
reversal of temporary Ileostomy

I had a resection Dec.14th resulting in a temporary Ileostomy.I was in hospital one week and then home for 4 more.Went back to work on a cut-back sked but was putting in full days within next week or so.Now I am scheduled to get rid of my Ileostomy on March 29th.Surgeopn has indicated I will be in hospital 5-7 days and then 2 weeks off work.Can anyone give me a heads-up about this?? I am real happy to have this procedure sooner than later,but am upset about the down time.I am a 58 year old male and actually felt pretty good within 3 weeks of first operation.My recent CT_scan looked solid and I have a pre-op physical this Friday.Thanks for any help/advice.Best to all.
Larry

Old 03-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
Re: reversal of temporary Ileostomy

Hi Larry

I see no one replied to you yet. I think that is because not too many have experience along those lines, at least that have been checking obviously. I am thinking of someone recently whose mother had this procedure, and she was quite advanced in age. I recall she had some trouble having an appetite, and had some diarrhea. I think you are going to feel very similar to how you did the first time you had the operation, perhaps even better, considering you don't have an active infection. I am sure you will have to do some experimenting with different foods to see how you react to them, and take things slowly!! I bet you are soooo ready, aren't you??? Best of luck, and let us know how it is working out. Do you have to do a prep for that?

Renata

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

It is usually up to you. If your job does not involve lifting, etc., and you feel up to it, I'm sure your doctor would approve returning to work earlier. But, one week in the hospital then two weeks home seems pretty short to begin with.

See how you feel. Hope all goes well!

Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
(male)

mickey56 HB User

Thanks Renata! I remember you from Goody's crowd! I do not think full scale prep due to "current" condition .Will know more after Friday.And yes,I am TOTALLY ready! Will certainly let all know.Stay well.
Larry

Old 03-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

HI, Mickey I know an OR nurse and she said that the rule of thumb is one week for each day you are hospitalized after having surgery. So I think that 2 weeks may be coming up a little short as well. Everybody recovers at different rates so I would discuss this with your boss/surgeon a little bit more so that you will allow for proper coverage at the job.

In terms of what to expect....there are very few I recall going through the reversal....I tend to agree with what Renata describes that most of it will be the readjustment of the colon working at full capacity once again which will involve introducing foods at a slower rate until it gets back on track.

As far as over all recuperation time I would imagine that it would be less than when you went in the frist time....did the surgeon indicate if he was going to reattach through the stoma site or is there more opening up involved??? And will he be doing it laproscopically???

I hope all goes well and know that we are here for you wishing you a speedy recovery.

~ Goody

Old 03-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

mickey56 HB User

Thanks Goody! He said he feels thru the stoma based on recent CT-Scan.Thus he expects a much simpler rehab.Sure hope he's right! Thanks for all and will keep all posted!
Best,
Larry

Old 03-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
(female)

Sis 300 HB User

Hi Larry,

I had a reversal a year ago this month.. It was after 10 1/2 weeks with a temporary colostomy--sigmoid taken out.. I had surgery on a Wednesday morning and the Dr. said on Friday afternoon I could go home if I wanted to.. I chose to stay til Saturday morning.. I don't work outside of the home, so I could rest whenever I wanted.. So can't help you there--when to go back to work.. I had both surgeries open.. I felt so much better after the reversal one than after the first one--due to a perforation and an emergency surgery.. The infection I'm sure had something to do with that..
Oh, and I was 49 1/2 when I had mine.. (Had diverticulits and never knew I had it.. ) I had to do the prep the day before--that's it.. With the bag, that was no big deal at all..

Good luck with your surgery March 29th.

Sis

Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
(male)

mickey56 HB User

Thanks Sis!! Really anxious to lose the "bag". All went well with Barium enema test on 3/17 and I am fit to go on the 29th. Just hope for a strong recovery and will let you all know.Thanks again.
Larry

Closed Thread