It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
(male)

synertech1221 HB User
Unknown bowel/digestive issues

I am 20 years and I was born with CP. I have been confined to a manual wheelchair all my life. Due to my CP I have always had bowel problems. I usually only had one BM a week and had to take laxatives regularly. But nothing that really hurt my day to day life or slowed me down any.
When I was 17 I had hip surgery, so ofcourse I was put on some heavy duty pain killers. Which cause severe constipation. especially with someone that already suffers from constipation. I was given several laxatives to try and counter-act the affect of the pain pills but nothing worked. I eventually developed a huge mass in my upper bowel. None of the rectal remedies would work because the mass was to high up in my bowel. So I had to take things orally. Like mineral oil and other slippery liquids. Eventually the mass came out. I was told it was equally painful to giving birth and it was the same size as a small child. MAN DID IT HURT!!! so ofcourse my bowels and digestive system have gone through some horrible trauma. After that I was taken off of the pain killers quickly which caused me to become very ill. during this time I was still having to take laxatives inbetween throwing up. So now my whole digestive system and bowels have been through some serious trauma. after about six months my stomach straightened out a bit. But I have always had constant problems with my bowels since then. Then about a year ago I became really sick and was turning yellow, dizzy, light headed, and had blood in my urine. I went to the hospital and they treated me for a kidney infection. tested my liver it came back fine. then told me I had the flu, to go home and rest. I suffered with some urinary issues for a while after that and then my liver started acting wierd. I get affected by alcohol much easier. I drink one beer and get the same buzz I used to get from four. If I drink two beers I'll puke in most cases. I cannot take normal gravol even enfant gravol will make me dizzy and feel really wierd. I have to take herbal non drowsy gravol. Here is what I live with on a day to day basis.
I can either be really constipated and have to take laxatives. Along with being bloated,gassy, pains, burning, gurggling. dizziness, light headed, headaches, fever, fatigue, acid reflux. (and most times the laxatives don't work and I have to take a purgative) Or I can be having some what regular BM (2 or 3 a week) along with all those other symptoms. Then I can sometimes have periods where I feel fine. There is no pattern or consistancy. It makes it very hard to work a full time job or even have a life. I can take up to six gravol a day along with tums and tylenol. My doctor has done numerous test and can come up with nothing. Can someone share some advice please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Unknown bowel/digestive issues

If you were told by a doctor that you had the FLU because of turning yellow and blood in your urine, that doctor has SERIOUS issues! A flu is an upper respiratory illness! Find another doctor! Start there. Maybe you can be helped if a doctor actually KNOWS the symptoms of diseases/sicknesses.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
(male)

synertech1221 HB User

That was by an ER doctor. my MD has tested me for everything he can think of, but he can't seem to explain why that happened or what the hell is going on with me now, because everyday it's something different. my symptoms are never consistant. It is so damn frustrating. I am working so hard to build several businesses and make myself a nice fortune. But having to deal with this really slows me down and prevents me from doing things.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Synertech,

Sorry you're having so many problems. Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? I'd recommend that. Have you tried Miralax (rx). It's often used where there is a tendency to accumulate fecal mass.

Are you following the general recommendations for bowel health? Nutritious diet, lots of water, 30 grams or so of fiber per day. A regular time scheduled for BMs, 'listening' for urges, etc. These things are so important. No amount of surgery or medication can make up for them if they are missing from your life.

If you aren't getting anywhere w/a regular M.D., you might consider an alternative med doc. Many people have been helped with their incorrigible bowel problems by eliminating food intolerances & leaky gut.

If you're having liver troubles, might there be a different analgesic for you -- Tylenol is hard on your liver.

Best wishes.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
(male)

synertech1221 HB User

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

J Mary HB User

I am new the message boards so I hope I am writing to the correct person, this message is intended for synertech 1221. I am an adult female and always had dificulties going to the bathroom - sometimes a week to ten days in between bowel movements. My doctor diangosed me with IBS -- gassy, bloated, constipation, abdominal discomfort and sometimes intense pain. It seemed that no amount of typical remedies worked -- the leafy greens, fruits, etc., seemed to have no effect. I learned for me, I believe I am allergic to white flour -- if I eat white bread, white pasta I come extremely disstended and gassy - painful. Too about three years ago i started eating muffins (I worked with different grains and fruits) and now I daily have bowel movements. I wonder if you might be allergic to something you are injesting and too if you can find a a muffin, without or low in white sugar, and high in grains. Too I eat 5 - 7 prunes every morning. As well maybe give your system just one food group to digest in the morning. Start with some prunes with a coffee or tea or warm water. Wait 30 mins and then have a muffin or something fibery. Myself, I do not eat dairy which I think "gunks" our system up so, well, anyway, I hope some of this might help.

Last edited by J Mary; 04-14-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Closed Thread