It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
(female)

lolamary HB User
Sitting on the Toilet - Adult Problem

I am trying to retrain my bowels and would appreciate some advise on the following
Why sit on the toilet and not quietly on the couch?
When sitting on the toilet should I be doing something e.g. breathing exercises, pushing?
How long should I sit for and is after dinner better than after breakfast?
Should I sit every day?
How many times should I try before I have a result?
If I have all ready had a bowel movement during the day should I still sit after dinner?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Wink Re: Sitting on the Toilet - Adult Problem

I am trying to retrain my bowels and would appreciate some advise on the following

Why do you want to do this "retraining!" Pretty obvious why you sit on the toilet vs the couch!!

As my wise Dad used to say......'Whatever floats your boat!'

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: Sitting on the Toilet - Adult Problem

Are you seeing a gastroenterologists? Unless you are, I wouldn't recommend you doing this. What I think that you are doing is trying to retrain your defecation reflex. Why? I don't know, but to maintain a healthy bowel, the urge to "Go" should not be ignored for longer than ten to fifteen minutes. After this period of time passes, the defecation reflex goes away and the urge is not activated again until the next time it is stimulated, which may be several hours later. Moving these dry stools later can involve straining which can cause all kinds of problems like anal fissures and hemhorroids, which can be very painful.
I really think that you should make sure that you are under a doctors care before you do this. And as far as where to sit? Well, the toilet would be the best as you can then eliminate like you should be doing in the first place.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

Star Heart HB User

I had a Doctor who insisted one should have a BM three times a day. He was of the mindset that if you sat on the toilet for 15 minutes after each meal, eventually your body would conform and your bowels would evacuate as such.

It never worked for me, but I do know several people who swear by it...

Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
(male)

bomo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamary
When sitting on the toilet should I be doing something e.g. breathing exercises, pushing?
How long should I sit for and is after dinner better than after breakfast?
Should I sit every day?
How many times should I try before I have a result?
If I have all ready had a bowel movement during the day should I still sit after dinner?
Is it possible to retrain?? If so, what do any of you suggest?
Any feedback on the above questions would be appreciated!!

Is it ok to wait a few minutes after peeing...to try to relax and to see if anything happens???...a friend of mine does this each time she pees..... or should you always wait for the urge to go??

Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Heart
I had a Doctor who insisted one should have a BM three times a day. He was of the mindset that if you sat on the toilet for 15 minutes after each meal, eventually your body would conform and your bowels would evacuate as such.

It never worked for me, but I do know several people who swear by it...
Has me wondering about their early upbringing, I must say. Sounds like there are some kinds of control issues going on . . . to say the very least.

But if the average person is eating the recommended 20 to 30 grams of fiber, it doesn't take any training to go at least twice a day.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
(male)

bomo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomo
Is it possible to retrain?? If so, what do any of you suggest?
Any feedback on the above questions would be appreciated!!

Is it ok to wait a few minutes after peeing...to try to relax and to see if anything happens???...a friend of mine does this each time she pees..... or should you always wait for the urge to go??
I think I am in peri-menopause. My biggest change is my BM's. I have always been regular, sometimes bouts of diarrhea which I treat with Imodium. I don't feel like I am constipated, no straining or discomfort when I go. I am eating activa yogurt and drink a fair amount of water and gatorade. I am concerned about the amount of time it takes to go. Can you can retrain your bowels. Any comments, experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Closed Thread