It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
(male)

MotorolaRzr2006 HB User
Anal Seepage

For the past 6 months or so, it seems like there is leaking out of my anus after I take a bowel (its very uncomfortable and itches like crazy!) At work, it seems like I can never wipe enough and have to keep going back to re-wipe. By the time I get home, there are always stains!

I had a fissure and corrective surgery 1 year ago. Occasionally I get hemorrhoids, but recently I was searching the internet and I read that external hemorrhoid can block the anus from fully closing? I do have one hemorrhoid that never seems to go away and it is near the center of my anus, but somewhat off to the side.

In any case, is this possible? Could it be something else? Or do I just need to wipe better?

Thank you very much!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Anal Seepage

I think you need to eat more fiber in your diet-- like 25 to 35 grams daily and drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. The fiber needs to be a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber.

This will make you have a complete regular BM daily. The colon is suppose to absorb all liquid by the time your food gets to your rectum and if your diet is right then there will be no seepage.
I think you are eating too much insoluble fiber that does not absorb fluids and your stools are probably too loose, soft and pasty.

Soluble fiber absorbs fluid-- I think if you stared taking a water soluble fiber supplement twice daily --- it would help bulk up your stool.
Soluble fiber supplements are psyllium that are Metamucil /Konsyl or Equate Brand from Wal Mart, and other like Citrucel, Benefiber and Fiber Choice.

Foods that contain soluble fiber are the inner part of all grains like rice, oatmeal, barley, & wheat (the outer part is insoluble), all beans & peas, legumes and root veggies-- like potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. These are probably not a big part of your diet.

All fruits &veggies contain mostly insoluble fiber including greens.

Eating a more balanced diet will certainly help the hemorrhoid problem. A anus exercise is also helpful..

God Bless~~~Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Carly3 HB User

Harry, that's good advice. I had a problem with hemorrhoids and constipation and my doctor had me taking Metamucil everyday plus using an Anusol suppository and both problems were corrected.OP I think you're wiping well enough so why not try the suggestions given?

Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
(male)

MotorolaRzr2006 HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I forgot to mention that my anxiety causes (I believe) IBS... should I change any of your recommendations? I'll still continue with the veggies, but add more soluble fibers in my diet (maybe Metamucil).

Thanks again,

Jordan

Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jordan,

Anxiety is alway difficult to deal with because it is so different for everyone-- I really don't know how to live without some in your life??

But--Most people don't get enough soluble fiber in their diet. I think taking psyllium is a good choice. I use Equate brand from Wal Mart-- it seems a little courser powder to me, you get more psyllium per dose and it cost less than Metamucil.

Also,there is a new yogurt on the market put out by Dannon named Activia that also has a cultured bacteria in it that makes you regular. I have been eating it for a week now.--- It also seems to help IBS.- so says the members on the IBS board. It may be worth trying for IBS. Not only is it healthy for BMs -- it really is very good. I like the vanilla and strawberry flavors best.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 04-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Carly3 HB User

I don't think it would hurt to try the suggestions offered. I know when my doctor told me to try metamucil everyday and use the suppository daily I thought it wouldn't work. I was so surprised when my problems did go away! That was about 10 years ago and I've never had a reoccurence. By the way I haven't needed the metamucil or suppository for several years so don't worry that it might be long term.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I don't know if this could be you, but after I had surgery in January, I had an impaction from constipation that had to be removed. I read that some people with impactions can have seepage of diarrhea that finds its way around the impaction and you can't stop it from coming out. I guess you could see the doctor to see if you have an impaction or other type of blockage.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
(female)

jogordon HB User

Keep in mind that Metamucil and other fiber supplements may cause gas, bloating and discomfort. Start out with 1/2 or 1/4 of the dosage if you need to.

Closed Thread