It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
(male)

tmbm7 HB User
Does Venapro, Avatrol, Hem-Relief work?

I am having another bad time with hemorrhoids and I was wondering if any one knows if the pills Venapro, Avatrol, Hem-Relief, etc. really work to reduce or remove hemorrhoids or are they just a waste of money? I had surgery to remove my last ones and I want to avoid another surgery. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
(male)

Cranky99 HB User
Talking Re: Does Venapro, Avatrol, Hem-Relief work?

Hello,

I feel your pain. My experience with the pills alone is that they don't do that much. They're more holistic in nature. In other words, if you're looking for that "cure" with the pills, you're not going to get it. However, the stuff in them is generally proven to help. Ultimately, you have to change your bathroom habits and eating habits to really battle hems efficiently. I haven't read one thing on hems that doesn't suggest not straining on the toilet and I personally think that's what led to mine.

That all being said, here's some certain relief. I have found this suggestion in very few places, so I hope it helps you. It's a combination of Nitroglycerine and Vaseline, 1 part nitro to 20 parts Vaseline, applied directly to the outside of the anus. This solution was something I found in the New England Journal of Medicine, so it's reliable and it's also worked for me very effectively - by far the most effective thing I've tried.

There are a couple of drawbacks. First of all, you'll have to see your doctor for a prescription. It's very likely your GP won't have heard of this, but they'll understand the use of the stuff and will likely give you the prescription. Nitroglycerine opens up the cappilaries to get the blood flowing, which is the main cause of hems - that pressure produced by bad blood flow. The other drawback is that the combo can cause headaches due to the increased blood flow. It's totally worth it though.

WARNING: I am not a doctor, so consult yours before trying this ointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

WorriedWife1 HB User
Re: Does Venapro, Avatrol, Hem-Relief work?

My husband has suffered from hemorrhoids for 2 years. We tried the Avatrol and the Hem-Relief. He was on the Avatrol for about 2 months with no results. (We actually sent the product back.) The Hem-Relief, on the other hand, seemed to work somewhat. It cut down on the bleeding during a bowel movement and my husband seemed to be in less pain. The only problem with Hem-Relief is that the only way we got it to work on my husband was if we took the full suggested dose. (4 capsules - 3x daily) It started to work after about 2-3 weeks but after about 4 bottles we never placed another order. My husband just had a hemorrhoidectomy 5 days ago to remove them all. He is in unbearable pain right now and from what I have read it will take months to recover. If you want more info on going as far as surgery please read the thread labeled "Hemorrhoidectomy blues.." I do suggest, however, trying all other options before going down the surgery road.

One last word of advise - FIBER - FIBER - FIBER!

Best of luck to you!

Closed Thread