It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
(male)

mtafs HB User
what is a narrow stool?

hey everyone! i just had a quick (or maybe not so quick) question...

since the word "narrow" is fairly subjective, i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what is medically considered a "narrow" bowel movement.

every since i can remember, i've had a pretty touchy stomach and it's not uncommon for me to get diarrhea a few times a week (generally after eating at a restaurant). it's also struck me recently that i haven't had a quote unquote "solid" bowel movement in some time (1 piece, the size and shape of a banana) it's generally multiple medium sized pieces; for the most part formed and extremely soft (i.e. barely holding together). they come with little strain (bm's are very easy) and i feel empty after i'm done.

the few times my stool has been more solid, it been narrow - NOT in width but in depth. about the depth of my pointer finger. when this has happened, it's generally later in the day when the urge to pass my bowels isn't that great and i'm probably forcing it a bit more.

a little background: i'm 29, about 320 pounds, 6'2. i was a vegetarian for many years and within a month of eating meat again, went on atkins. i lost a lot of weight (90 lbs) and gained it all back plus 25. this has lead to a general depression. i get less than 8 hours sleep a night and until recently, ate 75% of my meals at restaurants (fast food or sit down). i would say my eating habits are poor and i'm 100% certain this is cause for SOME of my problems. i'm an extremely busy person and would quite frequently say i'm under stress.

i've gotta say, i'm a little afraid of the problems being something bigger... like the big "C".

i haven't had blood in my stool, nor has it ever been black. no abdominal pains unless it's prior to diarrhea, no weight loss ect... basically the consitincy of my stool has changed and it's occasionally thin.

any ideas? thoughts? especially on what's considered "narrow"?

thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

Gigi D HB User
Re: what is a narrow stool?

I'm no expert on this, but I think what's considered "normal" stool for one person may not be for another. I'd say anything that doesn't look quite right to you should be checked out.
Lately all I've had are narrow stools. Mine are extremely flat (not paper thin, but not too much thicker than that), which is what I think you were saying you sometimes have.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
(male)

mtafs HB User
Re: what is a narrow stool?

yeah. i'd say about 3/4 inch in depth. definately not paper thin. not even close. it just not round.

i guess i was just wondering what most, especially in the medical field, would consider 'narrow' or 'ribbon-like'.

to me, 3/4 inches in depth isn't ribbon-like, but it's flatter than what's considered "normal". i guess i'd consider 'narrow' as a problem with width, not depth, but who knows...

Last edited by mtafs; 05-10-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Closed Thread