It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #1

Mazel HB User
Unhappy All of a sudden..can't go

I have always been fine with bowel movements until now. All of a sudden, noticed that I had not gone in a week, with no feeling of need to go. Tried ex lax, prune juice to no avail, then tried enema to no avail. Called Dr. he said 2 tbsp milk of mag. did that and went fine. That was a week ago again..now again no urge to go, no pain just feeling a bit bloaty. Tried the milk of mag. tonight..nothing. Why would this start happening all of a sudden and more important..how can I get the urge to go? No change in diet and not taking medication for anything. HELP!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: All of a sudden..can't go

Mazel,

This is a sudden change for you. Could there be a stress component? Any change in your level of exercise? How 'bout the weather: if it's been hot, that can contribute to constipation -- drink more water.

Don't panic, but do consider making an appt to see your doc if this problem continues w/out explanation. In the meanwhile, do all the sensible things: drink plenty of water, get a little exercise each day, make sure you are getting plenty of fruit & fiber, try a little psylllium powder (with plenty of water) each day, do stress reduction if that's a factor. Try eating a serving of yogurt each day.

Sometimes, it's a little thing like cutting back on caffeine (promotes peristalsis) that causes grief.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
(male)

mjk18 HB User

You might also try adding some flaxseed to your diet, worked wonders for me.
I use the seed kind (not the powder) daily per my doctor and have had no problems, I sprinkle it in yogurt, cereal, pretty much anything.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #4

Mazel HB User

thanks for the advice, Today I ate 6 prunes, raw broccoli and veggies with dip for lunch, an apple , drank water and came home and tried and enema...I can't believe I am not getting crampy..even the enema caused no urge to go...i am getting worried. Thanks. Mazel

Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
(male)

mjk18 HB User

I suppose check with your doctor again and let him know it's not working and how long you go between movements.
I would think the vegetables, prunes, etc. would take time to break down with your normal digestive process, so would take some time to work.
My doctor suggested the flaxseed I believe because it seems to go straight through without much breaking down making your stool a bit softer (I see those little seeds in my BM's, kind of like corn) and I now take it daily.
I know it can be frustrating, but do try to relax, stress about the actual issue of not going can keep you from going as well from my experience. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Mazel - I posted a questions that was a lot like yours. It had been a week with nothing or very little. I tried laxatives, mag, fiber drinks, stool softners, prunes, etc..you name it and i did it. Well, I talked to my friend who is a pharmacist the other day and he said stop taking over the counter laxatives, etc. to go and simply eat what I tell you to and do LIGHT exercise and IT WORKED! Here are some of the foods that he told me to eat and what they do for you. I went within 24 hrs and I'm not having ANY trouble at all now. Give it a try.

1. Drink as much water as you can. At least 8 oz. 8 times a day but more if you can. (i drink about 5 of the 20 oz. bottles a day) EVEN IF YOU AREN'T THIRSTY.
2. Eat smaller portions. Don't eat large, heavy meals.
3. Get some exercise. Physical activity speeds the movement of waste through the intestines (I started walking a mile a day)

Foods which lubricate the intestines -
Spinach, bananas, sesame seed oil, honey, pears, prunes, peaches, apples, apricots, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, alfalfa sprouts,, soy products, carrots, cauliflower, beets, okra, seaweed

Foods which promote bowel movements
Cabbage, papaya, peas, black sesame seed, coconut, sweet potato, asparagus, figs, castor oil, bran from oats, wheat or rice

Aloe vera has a healing and cleansing effect on the digestive tract and aids in forming soft stools. Drink 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice in the morning and at night (this i didn't try but you can buy it by the pint or gallon at Walmart for until $10)

Natural Laxatives-
Prunes and figs are the best natural laxatives. I drank about 6 oz. of prune juice before I went to bed. Drinking too much can cause your stomache to cramp and I noticed that just eating prunes didn't help me much. The juice was more effective.

Foods High In Magnesium -
apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, green leafy vegetables, kelp, lemon, lima beans, millet, peaches, soybeans, tofu, watercress, wheat and whole grains

LAY OFF THESE FOODS FOR AWHILE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS---all products with baking soda, baking powder, alcohol, tea, yeasted breads, refined white foods, e.g., white flour, white sugar, white rice

Milk and cheese cause constipation in some people

(Basically all the really good stuff :-(

TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM LAXATIVE IF YOU CAN BECAUSE IF YOU TAKE THIS A LOT THEN IT CAN CAUSE THE COLON TO DEPEND ON THEM & IT WILL STOP CONTRACTING ON ITS OWN.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #7

Mazel HB User

Thanks so much for your words of advice...I still have not gone..now day 10...I don't feel bloated, maybe slightly more gassy. I did call the dr. again. He wants to see me next week. Told me not to worry unless i get really uncomfortable and then take magnesium citrate..but it could be violant. I have stopped taking medicinal last few days..but have eaten prunes, oatmeal, salads, brocoli, etc..so far to no avail.. I never have been a big drinker of anything..a glass of water is alot for me..but am gonna force myself this long weekend to drink water like never before. I have a cup of coffee each morning. Think I will buy flaxseed too..what can it hurt? Does it matter exactly how much i sprinkle on? THanks.

Closed Thread