It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

JodiAnn HB User
diverticulum in small bowel

Hi. I'm new here. I just had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer on May 30. During my surgery (which was performed laproscopically) my doctor found a lesion on my small bowel. He called another surgeon in to take a look and the second surgeon feels that it's a diverticulum (although rare on small bowel). Since my gyno didn't know if I had any issues with my bowels the two doctors felt that I didn't need to undergo a bowel resection. My hysterectomy surgery went well and I'm recovering fine. I do have some bowel issues however. For starters my colon cancer runs in my family. I started having bowel issues in Feb. 06 (the same time my husband and I opened a restaurant). I blamed it on stress and nerves. It continued for about a good month. Things got a little better but never completely 100% normal prior to that. Since then I've had pain on my lower left side. I was concerned it was due to the cervical cancer issue all the while. I have lower back pain and that has only gotten worse since my hysterectomy. As for BMs, they are either completely loose or I go for a couple of days without one. Then when my body does have one I'm in such pain prior with ab cramping and such. It's so uncomfortable. My concern is that maybe what they are thinking is a diverticulum might really be something else. Anybody have any experience with something like this?

Old 06-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

gomer4 HB User
Re: diverticulum in small bowel

Have you ever had a colonoscopy? That may be a good place to start. I have had a colon resection for diverticulitis, and my pain was alway on the lower left side during every flare-up. With a family history of colon cancer, I would see a doctor about a scope.
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
(female)

JodiAnn HB User

Thanks Gomer4. Was your diverticulitis on your small or large bowel?
How was it officially diagnosed? I'm going to the surgen that saw it during my hysterectomy to speak with him further. I feel that I need a colonoscopy to firmly diagnose it. I worry with it on the small bowel (that being rare) that maybe it's something else. How severe were your flare ups to require a resection? Thanks again. Concerned.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I had a hysterectomy in January and my bowels took weeks to get back to normal. I know a lap is less invasive, but you are only 3 weeks post op. Maybe you just need a little more time, but I would definitely schedule a colonoscopy for when you are completely recovered.

Closed Thread