It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

Michael1217 HB User
Help - diarrhea for 2-3 weeks!

Hi all,

I am new to this site but I seem to have similar symptoms. The diarrhea started roughly 2-3 weeks ago. I can't exactly recall the type/color, but I do remember that it was mostly liquid. I've had diarrhea in the past, with some occurences right before this "big" one but they usually didnt last more than 2 days. About a week after the diarrhea hit, I had one night of vomitting - the vomit contained some little black dots in mostly clear/yellow liquid (not sure if this constitutes the "coffee grains" description implying some blood involved. Before going to the doctor I managed to take some pepto for 2 days and that seemed to help the diarrhea. The internalist doctor, (not a GI) after listening to my symptoms said that it's probably some food poisoning of some sort. I did mention to her that the pepto helped, because in fact it did for a period of two days. Ever since that visit (roughly 2 weeks after initial diarrhea breakout) I've had a lot of noise coming from the stomach, some sort of gurgling noise - usually occuring right after i eat/drink something. I've had some degree of constipation often not being able to "go" even though it seems to me as if I want to. Additionally, I'm experiencing nonstop burping. My BMs now resemble narrow/small sized stools, not sure if we can designate it as diarrhea So this is the sequence of events for my diarrhea episode. From diarrhea to constipation/gurgling noises/burping/narrow stools. I am somewhat happy to note that I'm not experiencing any pain in my stomach aside from a somewhat knotted feeling on my right side. (close to the scar from my hernia operation, which was roughly 10 years ago) I'm very confused about this entire episode and want to see what others have to say because I'm really nervous. I also want to note that I quit smoking cigarrettes about 4-5 weeks ago (not sure if this has something to do with it). Additionally, my diet has never been that great; especially ever since I started working at my new job (2 yrs ago). I pretty much eat fast food, or outside food whenever I'm hungry. Thank you for understanding. I'm anxiously waiting for your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Help - diarrhea for 2-3 weeks!

Hi....well, there could be some obvious reasons such as food poisoning. Another could be Crohn's disease (right side pain seems to be common) or Ulcerative colitis. Narrow stools can be a symptom of rectal inflammation (which could be common with either UC or CD) Did the doctor take stool samples?

STress can definitely exacerbate any symptoms.

Hope you don't start smoking again.....but there are many UC patients who have had their first flare after they quit smoking.
One thing some of them do is use a nicotine patch which seems to ease "some" of their symptoms -- but after they've been diagnosed..

Defintely get referred to a GI. A Colonoscopy and an upper gastro series should be done to exclude the obvious (whatever that may be to them).

In the meantime, you could change your diet somewhat by excluding high fat and hard to digest foods. As well, add a good probiotic which will help to balance the flora in your digestive tract.

Totally cut out any artificial sweeteners and alcohol.

Keep us updated as to the outcome and how your'e doing.

Hope this helps,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-12-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Closed Thread