It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #1

frayedm HB User
Difference between Anal Fissures and Hemmoroids?

Hi a week ago I had constipation and found blood when I wiped and outside my stool (bright red blood). For five days afterwards my anus was really sore and I was so terrified of having a bm.

Sometimes I have a sharp stinging pain, but only when I move a certain way.

How do I know if it's a fissure or a hemmoroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Difference between Anal Fissures and Hemmoroids?

Hello There-
I'm so sorry you are having pain and bleeding. I've suffered from this for most of my life. Chronic constipation and bleeding with bowel movements.(also mixed w/the total oppsite- explosive runny bowels!!urgh)

The difference between hemorrhoids and fissures, is a the hemorrhoid is actually a blood vessel that has become irritated and enlarged and will cause discomfort and bleeding. You can get them externally and internally. If they are external, you can feel them and when they are really inflamed they will look like a large purplish lump around the rectum. Internal ones can be found with an exam.

Fissures are actually small tears in the mucosa in and around the rectum and also cause discomfort and bleeding.

Both can be treated conservatively with warm sitz baths, anucort suppositories (prescription) or over the counter creams/suppositories like Anusol.

You also need to make sure your diet includes lots of water, lots of fiber and green vegies. It helps digestion if the vegies are warm/steamed. This helps them to break down more easily, thus helps with softer/more regular bowel movements. You can also add something like Fiber Con or Metamusil to your diet every day.

I know this isn't a very pleasant thing to deal with. My doctor also prescribes some Lidocaine cream to put on the area to help numb it when I am having a flare up. It helps ease the pain of the bowel movements.

You can also use the cottenelle unscented moist wipes after a bowel movement to make sure things are extra clean in the area. I wouldn't recommend having the hemorrhoids removed unless they are creating major problems. I had mine done and it was the worst pain in the world for over a week straight, and then still major discomfort for another 3 weeks after that. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It was about 1,000 times worse than even natural child birth!

Good Luck!!
Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-16-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #3

frayedm HB User

thankyou for your quick reply.

it's been a week and my bum is a whole lot better! it does not hurt at all and i've been having bms everyday which are soft and easy to evacuate.

all i did was drink more water, take 1 or 2 tablets of metamucil and ate vegies.

could it have been a fissure perhaps?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Fray-
I can't say that it deffinately was or wasn't a fissure, but from what you described, whatever it was probably came from the constipated bowel movement.

It sounds like the added water and fiber tablets helped you. I'm so glad and keep on drinking water!! I think some people don't fully understand the true benefit our bodies get from water.

Have a great day!
Lezlee

Closed Thread