It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

KarlaMarie HB User
Moom shaped BM?

I have been having bm's that are moon shaped. It is basically a half circle. One side is flat and the other side is round. As if I cut the stool in half. What does that mean? The size of the stools (if both sides were there) are normal size. It is not pencil thin. thanks!

Old 07-16-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Moom shaped BM?

Hi...it's a sign that something is happening in the lower colon. Have you had this for a while? Is it consistent? Do you have any blood on the side that's flat? Do you have any pain or discomfort in the rectum while going?

You should really get it checked out by a doctor...it could be something as benign as hemorrhoids, possibly inflammatory bowel disease or it could as serious as cancer.

IBS can cause misshapen stools, usually flat and ribbon-like or pencil stools because of constriction....but I don't think rounded on one side and flat on the other.

You're very observant, which is a good thing. Call the doctor and get it checked out seriously.

Let us know the outcome.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Karla-
I don't know if it does have anything to do with it, but I have chronic IBS and I know this sounds really gross, but some of my bowel movements are extremely odd shaped. I am amazed at some of the shapes that come out. But there are many people who have strange shaped stools regularly too.

Like Quincy asked, do you ever notice blood on your stools? Bright blood is "usually" ok, but if it's darkish brown it would be a more urgent situation.

Do you ever have soft runny stools mixed with the moon shaped ones, and also do you have regular bouts of intestinal spasms and cramping or burning?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it might help us to get a clear picture of what's going on.

Lezlee

Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

KarlaMarie HB User
Re: Moon shaped BM?

Thank you for responding so quickly This is my first time on a board. Okay...I have an appt. on Tuesday with Gaso. doc. I am going to tell him about the bm situation. I also talked with my mom. She had colon cancer when she was 55. She has 1/2 her colon removed. She also has a twisted colon and recently doctor told her IBS. My mom has a lot of colon problems, which I knew of, but I thought she didn't have cancer. I thought it was benign. I will telll him everything. I am 46 3/4 years old.

I only have slight pain on my left side under my belly button-recently (last 3 or 4 weeks) I don't have visable blood ( I did the home kit for occult blood and it was neg) No runny stools...nothing. Just this stool that looks like it has been cut down the middle with a butter knife. No stomach aches. More burping lately-not excessive, but a little more. When I go to the bathroom, I don't have any pain at all. I don't understand it, but I will tell doc as much as possible. Oh!! I have found red specks on and in the stool. I thought it might be from the red peppers we have been enjoying lately. Maybe. The stool is light brown and dark brown at times. Sorry there is not much to go on. I will write when I come back on Tuesday. Thanks for responding. I am open to more questions and thoughts. Karla

Old 07-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
(female)

jennifer10 HB User

Glad you're seeing a doctor. Had a friend that noticed a "groove" in her stools. Had a cancerous growth. Had surgery and chemo and is doing well at present because she cought it quickly.

Closed Thread