It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

OMGWTFBBQ HB User
How narrow is "narrow stool"? Would I have IBS?

Just a few simple questions:

Firstly, how narrow is "narrow stool"? I've been passing stools around the width of my thumb for the last few months, and sometimes thinner, is that normal? I'm never really constipated - it just take some time to get the stool out, but it goes out everytime. (I normally go 3 times a day: When I wake up, after dinner and just before bed.)

Secondly, I sometimes have the feeling of that I'm unable to empty my bowel completely, even after 30+ minutes in the toilet. It is like I'm having something blocking my colon at the upper left corner, and sometimes lower. When that happens I normally have to force a bowel movement by sqeezing the lower abdomen with my hands from right to left, and that takes some time...

It can't be colon cancer because I'm only 17, also I don't normally have a lot of gas in my intestines, even when I do, it's reasonably easy to get rid of, and I rarely/almost never feel any remarkable pain in my abdomen or see blood in my stools. So is this just because of psychological stress or something else? It's really annoying...

Also, what should I do to fix my problems? (Get more sleep and just relax about it as my friends told me to?)

PS: A strange question - How much stool should a normal person pass out each day? As in what proportion of the food they eat. Just give me an idea so I can compare it with mine. (My mom says about 40%, the rest goes to energy and replacement cells, which makes sense.)

Last edited by OMGWTFBBQ; 07-28-2006 at 08:57 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to OMGWTFBBQ For This Useful Post:
sheiladk (03-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: How narrow is "narrow stool"? Would I have IBS?

Ribbon thin stool is usually indicative of problems. Here is my theory on thin stool in IBS, particularly diarrhea prominent IBS. I have the same problem. Generally if the stool is too soft it breaks off easily into smaller pieces as it comes out your rectum and kind of takes the shape of the opening. Usually the first stool out is relatively normal followed by lost of smaller pieces that break off. If this problem is really stressing you out, you could ask for a sigmoidscopy. But yes it could be IBS. I was diagnosed with IBS and have a very similar problem. It seems like I go a couple times a day but always in the morning upon awakening.

Closed Thread