It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

kittybella HB User
Please help, having endo and colonoscopy, ? about symptoms

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone has similar symptoms to mine, because at this point I am very worried. I am a 34 year old female, and for the past 3 years have been having stomach and bowel issues. When it first started, I had a sharp pain in my lower left side which brought me to my knees, and I immediately went to the dr. I was told I had possible diverticilutis (?) , but it seemed unlikely due to my age, and the dr. said I should have a colonoscopy to be sure. I also had bloating at this time, and my bowel movements had changed from normal, to all broken up with mucus, but no apparent blood. Anyway, my pain had gone away after taking whatever pills it was she gave me, and all I was left with was some mild cramping and bloating, and still the funny bowels, but I ended up moving overseas with my husband and had to put off the colonoscopy. I also assumed it was a side effect from taking accutane 6 mos. earlier (which I had to stop due to other side effects) Anyway, I lived with my symptoms, and even ended up having a full checkup and the dr. felt that all I had was ibs, but if I wanted to be sure, I could get the colonoscopy. Ok,, so well, fast forward, other things got in the way, and here I am 3 years later, and 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere, I started having upper and lower abdominal cramping, enough to make my cry and worried, it has not completely gone away, although now it seems to be my under my bellybutton. The bloating is out of control, and next wed, I will be having both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy (what fun)

Sorry to be so long....

Here's the thing, I do not have diarhea or constipation, but what does happen , and has been pretty bad lately, is that AFTER I have a bowel movement, that's when it STARTS all the cramping, and sometimes it lasts for minutes, and now its been all day and night.

These are my symptoms

broken up bowel movements
sometimes mucus and stringy white stuff
cramping and bloating AFTER bowel movement
and recent...pain like everyother day , and don't know what is triggering it

and to top it off, when I urinate sometimes, it just feels weird, but I cant say its pain, but its just wrong! So, I have a gyno apt too...IY YI YI....

So, here I am a nervous wreck, praying I don't have cancer. I didnt even mention this other med I was on for my acne, and the side effects that causesd! I just cant seem to take meds w/o consequences.

I feel so broken at this point. Now I have pressure in my head, I mean the list goes on. I know that could be anxiety.

I swear I'm not crazy, just sick and tired of being sick and tired, I dont know what my past meds have caused, and I don't know if I am just plain sick with cancer

Any thoughts are appreciated, and my heart goes out to all of us struggling with all these issues that life like to throw at us.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this, although my thoughts are jumbled at the moment, I hope you can get the jist (?) of my post!

P.s
The endoscopy is for the funny feeling in my esophugus and some chest tightness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
Re: Please help, having endo and colonoscopy, ? about symptoms

It very much sounds like you are doing the right things to get your conditions checked out. Relax as much as you can, and realize that the waiting is hard, but in the end you will hopefully have some answers. I don't know about the medicine you took in the past, and what effect that might have on you now. I can say that diverticulitis at 34 would not be totally unheard of, if a bit on the young side. I have had it at 40, but your symptoms only partially sound like that, and not most of what you describe. Sounds SOOOO much like what people describe IBS to be like, but I hope you get some more detailed answers. I know how hard it is, but try not to get yourself too worked up into a cancer scare because just the anxiety alone can aggravate things terribly, let alone what it does to your mental state! If that is a bridge you need to cross, you will find the courage you need at that time. In the meantime, take it one step at a time, follow instructions, pray, and rest assured that some things are out of our hands and in the hands of God and those trained to be in the position to help us medically. I failed to notice if you had a date for upcoming tests, but will look after posting. Please keep us up to date in what you find out!! The waiting is the worst part, really! Take care and pamper yourself.

Renata

Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

OK, I see you are set for next Wed. And I wanted to mention too that if it is IBS, from what I see people post on here, many would not describe it as "that's ALL I have?" So don't let the doctors minimize it if that is "all" they find, because it can be a serious, quite debilitating condition, and worthy of the medical attention you have obviously discovered you are in need of!!! Doctors can sometimes tend to blow us off when they see it every day, but it's all new to us, and we have to LIVE with it!

Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

kittybella...sorry you are feeling so bad. I've had some similar problems that I think may have been started after I took antibiotics also, but the problems persist even after a year and a half. I even had a hysterectomy because they found endometriosis, but that didn't cure the pain. Lately I was diagnosed with IBS after a colonscopy which found no problems. I also have had trouble swallowing and tightness in my chest, but I attribute that to anxiety.

I wanted to say I agree with MrsQueeZ, that IBS may be viewed by doctors as not serious, but it is very painful and serious to me because it affects everything I do. I hope you are able to find some answers and help, but please try not to worry, that will only make things worse (I have noticed a definite link to stress and gut pain). My doctor has me trying Zelnorm...not sure I like it, but I'm in the process of trying to find something that helps. Good luck to you.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

kittybella HB User

Thankyou for responding, I really appreciate it. Well, I had a pretty bad night and day with the cramps and bloating..... which leads me to my next question....can the bloating and crampiness last all day and night if it is IBS? Also, I wish I had asked my doctor, but I was wondering if a routine blood workup could show anything that might indicate cancer? I don't know, I am trying to relax, but it's so difficult. At night, I wake up in a panic, and feel so depressed. I'm trying to be optimistic, I guess I should try harder!

Thanks again for your help

Old 08-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #6

naomih HB User

Hi Kitty...your tummy problems sound a bit like mine. 5 weeks I've been having pain & cramping in lower tummy, and burning burpy feeling in upper tummy, and one bout of diarrhea, and lots of gas & bloating. I'm putting off tests for at least a few more days if I can in the hope that it resolves. You should be fine, so please try not to worry too much cause the worrying will make it worse. Did you eat anything different before it all started? I coincidentally started on psyllium husk a few days before mine started and I'm hoping that's the cause.
At your age, it is very unlikely it is cancer, and remember that there are lots & lots of things, much less serious, that could be causing it.
Hope you are feeling better soon,
Naomi

Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

For a long time, I thought I must have cancer too...several sleepless nights and panic attacks over this. I've been checked from top to bottom and inside and out. I'm totally healthy, according to my doctors, but my abdominal pain persists. I have bloating too, ever since my hysterectomy in January. I can totally relate to what you are going through.

There are some cancers that can be tested for with blood tests and urine tests. Others, need diagnostic surgery to locate and biopsy. I think if you have your endoscopy and colonoscopy, you will start to worry less after you get a clean bill of health. Then you may want to have your reproductive organs checked out and possibly your bladder (an ultrasound might be a place to start) if you are still worried. Once you are sure there is no threat of cancer, you can begin to try to figure out what is causing your problem, for example allergies to food, your environment, stress, vitamin deficiency, etc. Or you can start to try to find ways to cope with a chronic problem...this is where I think I am now.

I suggest you try taking some Gas-X (simethicone) for awhile and see if you get any relief from your pain and bloating. It is an over-the-counter medicine that I know helps many people with gas pain and bloating. Also, I've been taking probiotic supplements, digestive enzymes, calcium/magnesium supplements and fiber, along with trying the Zelnorm (I don't really like Zelnorm because it causes me diarrhea, but I'm giving it a two-week trial and then calling the doctor back)>

Old 08-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

kittybella HB User

Well, my blood test results all came back normal....so I hope this is atleast a small good sign.

Naomih...I only know that Metamucil seems to cause cramping and bloating in alot of ppl. Are you drinking enough water? I seem to do better with the Metamucil cinnamon wafers (or something like that). It's easier for me to eat them and just drink the water with it, then it is to stomach a mixed drink! Sorry, I don't really know much about taking pure husk

SRMom, I am so sorry you are still having pain after all those tests! That is my other big fear, to find out I am healthy, but still have to live with pain. I had a gyno apt. set for monday, but now I have to cancel due to "that time of the month" However, I am still keeping my wed. colonoscopy apt. I am doing the prep with the pills, and have heard they do not clean you out as well as the nasty liquid stuff? Boy, I hope that's not true! How terrible is that.... being sent home to redo the prep...ahhh! I am having trouble imagining how to drink so much liquid without puking...ick... What a test!

I was given hyoscyamine in the meantime to try and help with cramps, but I'm not really sure if its helping much. I am about to eat some lasagna for dinner with garlic bread, and I'm curious to see if this is going to be a problem!

Thanks again everyone

Last edited by kittybella; 08-17-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #9

naomih HB User

Kitty,
Thanks for your info re psyllium. I have taken it before a few years ago without problems. I was taking it for cholesterol this time but I stopped it about a month ago now, but the problems have only gotten worse...I didn't have any bowel problems prior to that. Unfortunately I can't take metamucil as I am allergic to artificial colorings and flavorings.
Re your concern that you are healthy but will have to live with pain...I read something quite interesting lately, and that was that about 80% of people who get an all clear on a colonoscopy have their pain go away....just goes to show you how much of a role stress & worry can play in all this, and how much it can exacerbate our tender tummies! I hope you are one of those 80% soon!
I'm also seeing Gyno's at the same time as I've had some irregular bleeding. What fun we are having!
Naomi

Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Kittybella I hope all goes well for you on wednesday.I had a Endoscopy yesterday I was scared before hand and when I was there I ended up having it without sedation and he did 2 biopsy's, I have also got to have a colonoscopy, I have been having pain in so many places that the doctors are not sure to why I am getting his some say IBS. It stared in jan with pain under my right rib, had a scan on my gallbladder they said no stones, I have been nausea for all this time , pain in the middle above belly button, realy bad pain under my rleft rib at the front, pain in my kidneys, back pain, as you can see the pain is all over. I feel like I am going crazy, All i seem to do is be sad or cry!! Iam still today having pain under right rib and all the other places.
take care ...Mandy
Just got my date for my colonoscopy its on my son 5th birthday and the day my dear mums headstone goes on bless her
The date is the 12th september!!! I am scared already.

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 08-18-2006 at 02:24 AM.

Closed Thread