It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

CynAnn HB User
Diverticulosis on the RIGHT side?

Hi ,

I'm 46 years old and was diag. with diverticulosis in April 2005 during a colonoscopy. I have it on the left side, so does my Mom and so did her sister.

I've been having some pain on my lower right side off and on for the past year. Today, I had a CT scan because the pain was much worse the past week. I was told that I also had some diverticulosis that showed up on the right side.

Does anyone know if this is common? I thought that diverticulosis was on the left side.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Diverticulosis on the RIGHT side?

Diverticulosis can occur anywhere within the intestinal tract but is most common in the sigmoid colon which is on the left side. So long as there is no infection (diverticulitis) there should be no problems. Maintaining a nigh fiber diet and keeping things running and avoiding constipation is something you can do to prevent further problems. Also avoiding things such as popcorn, nuts and seeds which can get stuck in the pockets (diverticuli) and lead to infection is another precaution you may take.

I hope this helps explain things better. If a colonoscopy showed diverticulosis on the left side and a CAT scan showed it on the right my guess is that the condition is spreading and should be monitored. If you are having pain then you are having bouts of diverticulitis which if untreated can be quite dangerous. Treatment usually consists of resting the bowels and antibiotic treatment. It can run rather aggressive in younger people like yourself so never allow it to go untreated.....always go to the ER because there is a high incidence of perforation if left untreated. Don't mean to scare you but it definitely is not something to be taken lightly. A friend of mine ended up in ICU after a perforated colon and lost his spleen and almost his own life. I had an elective colon resection when I had numerous infections and doctor told me that it was only a matter of time until I perforated. Not everyone requires surgery but in my case it was the best thing I ever did.

Good luck ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Just in case you want someone else's 2 cents, yes, it can occur on the right side, though the left is much more common.

Also, pain can be toward the right side even if it is mostly on the left side (as happened in my case, probably because I had an abscess that got pretty big).

Old 09-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

crlady HB User
Angry Re: Diverticulosis on the RIGHT side?

I too had my initial pain on the right side. Right now I'm having pain all the way across and also in my lower back and down my legs. I have an appt 9/12 with my gastro doctor. I'm wondering how one knows if there's been a perforation? I've been waiting for over two weeks to see the Dr. and the pain continues to get worse.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi Crlady If your pain continues to grow worse before your appointment you may want to go to the ER. Most likely they can run some tests that will rule out some of the problems and allow your gastroenterologist a better picture of what may be going on. AND if may also give you some peace of mind.

Do you have a low grade temp or any other symptoms besides the pain??? And does this happen more after you eat fatty foods or cheeses??? The reason I ask is that the gallbladder can cause lots of pain also. The only way to know for sure is to have it checked out.

Let us know how things go. Good luck ~ Goody

Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
(female)

crlady HB User
Unhappy Re: Diverticulosis on the RIGHT side?

Let us know how things go. Good luck ~ Goody

Thanks for the advice, Goody. I had lots and lots of tests late last year. At that time I had two hernias, including a hiatal hernia, in my chest & GERD, chronic gastritis, and diverticulitis. I had a Nissen Fundo in January of this year and was feeling better until July when all this diverticular business started again. I think the gastritis was from all the meds I was taking for the constant heartburn. Don't need to do that anymore since the fundo.

Low grade fever? This is difficult to answer. My normal temp is about 95.8. I've been running a temp of 98.9. This would be a low-grade fever for most people but for me, it's pretty high. They told me my gallbladder was OK last year. That's one of the things they checked when I presented in the ER with pain on my right side. That started a battery of tests.

If the pain gets intolerable, I will go to the ER. I don't currently have other symptoms, just the pain in stomach, back, and legs and the fever and bloating. Sometimes I feel better for a little while after eating.

Now to make matters worse, my mother is in the hospital with pneumonia (in PA) and I live in Costa Rica. In other circumstances I would fly up to be with her but can't with this pain.

Closed Thread