It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

Dreamfreely HB User
Unhappy Can't Go! Any suggestions??

I have a problem making a bowel movement. I can't go on my own. I have taken laxatives, Milk of Mag, and colon cleanse pills. I tried to mix the benefiber in my drinks, but that doen't make me go. I now take colon cleanse pills on a regular now so I can go. My questions : Is it safe to keep taking the colon cleanse on a regular basis? What can I take on a regular basis that will not harm me in the long run? I heard that taking to many laxatives can eat the lining to you stomache. Is that true?

Last edited by Dreamfreely; 08-23-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Can't Go! Any suggestions??

My understanding is that taking long-term laxatives makes your bowels dependent on them to move. There are new medications for people with IBS with constipation. If I were you, I would go see the doctor, make sure there isn't something serious going on, and ask if taking something like Zelnorm might be right for you. I think you can take the laxatives for a few months (just my opinion), but I wouldn't plan on taking them forever. Have you tried taking probiotics or digestive enzymes and vitamins including all B vitamins, C, calcium, magnesium? Are you also drinking plenty of water and juice or other liquid? Fruits and veggies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

Dreamfreely HB User

Thanks For Your Information. I Will Make An Appointment To See A Doctor About It. My Mom Has A The Same Problem. Yeah I Do Drink A Lot Of Water. I Also Take A Mulit-vitamin. I Am Changing My Diet To Include More Fruits And Veggies.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

To have normal BMs a person needs to take 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily and it needs to be a combination of both insoluble fiber and soluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber causes muscles to contract to move digested food through your intestines and soluble fiber absorbs fluid and bulks up your stools.

There is NO fiber in all meats, seafood and all dairy products!!

The following is very general and not complete but will head you in the right direction!

Insoluble fiber is all fruit, all veggies, nuts & seeds and the outside of part of grains(bran) and beans & peas.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of all grains - like rice, corn(grits), oats (oatmeal), barley, wheat. Also, the inner part of beans & peas except green beans that are insoluble. Root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets and turnips. And of course the fiber supplements like Psyllium in Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber and Fiber Choice are all soluble ---they all absorb fluids.

Taking too many laxatives like SRMom said will make your intestines dependant on them -- and you then will not be able to go. It make your intestines lazy.
Taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucel -- are both fibers that are safe -- Metamucil is a natrual fiber and it will breakdown during digestion and ferment causing GAS but with continued use the gas will go away.
Citrucel is a semi-synthetic fiber that does not break down and causes less gas.

I like and use the psyllium fiber from the Wal Mart in the Equate brand. Cost about half as much as Metamucil or Citrucel.
Just take enough ---2 or 3 times daily along with the water/fluid recommended.
These are bulking agents and will not cause diarrhea or loose type stools.

I wish you and your Mom well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-24-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

does your multivitamin contain iron? sometimes that can make you constipated. how about drinking about 1/2 glass of prune juice every night before bed. it's natural and it's good for you.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

There is also a yogurt on the Market that will help constipation--- Dannon -- Activa-- You need to take it for a week or so --- Both good and SAFE--

Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
(female)

Jesus Lover HB User

I, too , have the same complications. I have gone all my life about once a week. When I take Juice Plus, I do go at least once a day. But just last week I had my eyes read-(Iridology) and the person reading them detected a problem w/ my bowels.- Very interesting-. She suggested I do a colon cleanse for 10 to 15 days.

The cleanse is all natural but what is going to happen after the cleanse? In addition, when I eat my cereal, I add 2 tablespoons of flax seed and still nothing. I can drink prune juice, eat prunes-still nothing.

There are certain foods that I know that constipate me such as grapes, oatmeal, cheese. Eating spinach, brocolli, cabbage, don't help either.

I was diagnosed in 1971 w/ illeitis- inflammation of the small intestines. I'm suppose to be on a bland diet for the rest of my life BUT there is NOTHING on a bland diet.

I would welcome any help, advice, or better yet, prayers.

Thank you and God bless!

I have been taking suppositories when I feel like I need to go and am concerned about the useage. Is it as bad as a laxative? Will my system become dependent on them? I just can't hack the tatse pf laxatives and you never know about the timming. At least w/ suppositories you are fairly safe-as far as the time goes. By the way, I have just started back taking Juice Plus and will go at leat once a day BUT a wk ago I had to take 5 suppositories one after the other because I needed to go. My right shoulder, for some reason, hurts when I really need to go.

I recently joined a gym-started out walking on the treadmill and riding an excersie bike-still nothing.

What's a person suppose to do?

Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Suppositories are safer in the sense that they don't have to travel through the stomach and small intestine, but any laxative, even suppositories and enemas are not meant for long-term or daily use. I believe you could become dependant on them as well.

If you try all the good home treatment that has been talked about, and still are needing to take some type of laxative, I think you might need the help of your doctor or gastroenterologist. That way, if you are needing a long-term medicine, you'd be doing it safely with the supervision of your doctor. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
(female)

Dreamfreely HB User

Thanks Harry and everyone for your information. I'm going to head to Wal-Mart and give it a try.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Sometimes when people's bowels get dependent on laxatives & cleanses, it takes quite a while, quite a lot of effort to get back on "nature's track."

You may want to research "bowel retraining." A lot of those elements come into play. Laxatives provide harsh signals to the nerves in the bowel, and the nerves can down-regulate -- become less sensitive to the finer signals given out by the body. Bowel retraining programs help you re-establish regular bowel habits.

Fiber, yes, but also liquids, exercise, and blocking out "toilet time" following meals with fat & protein, which are our body's natural peristaltic cues. Caffeine also triggers peristalsis, and sometimes it can be used to help train the bowels. As in a cup of java with a balanced breakfast, done every day at the same time, in the context of fiber, liquids, & exercise everyday.

Best wishes.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
(female)

Jesus Lover HB User
Ileitis

I have a big dilema: I have ileitis and the doc told me that I would have to be on a bland diet for the rest of my life. Well, that was 30 something years ago. Needless to say, I threw out the list of foods that I was suppose to gave been eating because there was nothing on it to speak of.

The dilema is I have been constipated most of my life. I've been trying to educate myself and come to find out, all this fiber that one is suppose to consume for regularity, are foods I am to avoid.

So, I am now totally confused! Without fiber how can I ever become regular? And I was just reading last night, that one of the symptoms of ileitis is constipation. Yes, I know, I should have know this well before now. Butr when you are young you don't(or at least I didn't) do what you are suppose to.

I did avoid things that triggered an episode such as chocolate milkshakes and cheese.

So, does anyone out there have ileitis or can anyone suggest what I'm suppose to be eating to help w/ my constipation?

Please HELP!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lightbulb Re: Ileitis

Much has been learn about " ileitis" in the past 30 years.
Since it is inflammation of the ilium, I think ileitis is now seen as being very much related to Crohn's disease which is an inherited disease.

As you know you need to stay on a bland type diet and eliminate the foods that irritate you. I think yogurt should be OK and the new yogurt by Dannon -- Activia maybe worth tring to help constipation.

Are you taking any drugs that are used for inflammation with Crohn's -- ?
You could do a Google search for " ileitis diet".

Last edited by Harry; 09-02-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mysticohl HB User
Re: Ileitis

FYI, Activa is expensive and you are supposed to eat at least one a day, maybe 2, I can't remember. I bought a 4 pack of them as that's how they come. Expensive! And it's not immediate. I need that.

So I have to use Prune Juice if I want immediate results...well, within a few hours. 16 ounces will do the trick.

Closed Thread