It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
(male)

jack3295 HB User
severe urgency

short history- diverticulits corrected w/hema-colectomy (removal of descending colon). this was done electivly after 2 hospitalizations in a year. i was told that i faced the possibility of a permenant colostomy if it wasn't done on a non-emergency basis.

the surgery was uneventful and while the recovery from such a surgery is difficult, i seemed to be back in my routine within 2 months. i followed directions and introduced a fiber supplement into my diet. doing that and cleaning up my diet has got me "moving" like a 2 year old. i seem to be breaking the laws of physics. i consume regular portions but eliminate what seems to be 3 times the volume. this in and of itself is not the problem. i am thankful for the ease of relieving myself. the problem is a very severe urgency that is so sudden that i'm for all practical purposes, incontinent of bowel. this happens 3 to 4 times a day and as you can imagine it's ruining my life. i take the metaucil 3 times a day and don't suffer any other side effect. when i stopped i developed a painful constipation. the gastro guy informs me that a very small percentage of post-op patients present with urge incontinence and that it slowly goes away. this is now going on a year. i got so exhausted trying to reach the toilet in time and never quite making it. the clean-up was difficult and depressing. i finally resorted to diapers as it was easier to change the diaper than clean the bathroom and struggle with the increased laundry.

this has changed my life. i'm afraid to even go to work as the urgency dosn't seem to be following a consistant patern. i'm thankful for the fact that the stools are formed and not liquid but the volume is enormous and it's often difficult to disguise an event. this can happen several times in a couple of hours. i'm now afraid of becomming diaper depedent. the urgency comes on so fast that i don't get halfway to the bathroom from my bed before release begins. after numerous attemps at getting to the toilet over the last months i now don't even try. the mad dash was ruining my morning completely. the urgency is so strong that it wakes me up to tell me but dosn't give me the time to get there. i'm more relaxed when i know the morning routine dosn't involve the extra cleaning and laundry but it's depressing to lay in bed and just let go with out a fight. having to change several times a day is beginning to wear me down. it happens at the most inconvenient times and is preventng me from doing the things i need and like to do. i have tried liquid suppositories to clean out before a planned event but i'll still have an accidentseveral hours later. enemas proved to be messier than changing a diaper.

what complicates matters is when i urinate i will inadvertenly mess. i'm afraid that i'm becomming more dependent on my managment system. i don't even try to hold it anymore and i'm increasingly wetting the diaper for convenience. the whole situation is confusing and depressing. has anyone experienced post-op sudden onset of severe bowel urgency? how long can i expect this to continue? what can i do to excellerate recovery? my doc is vague and speaks in non-specifics.

my fear is that i'll become so dependent on diapers that there will be no going back. what started out as a convenience has now become a genuine dependency.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: severe urgency

jack,
I had the same procedure but not the same problems you are having.

Do you still have a gallbladder-- this sounds like bile salts diarrhea. About 5% of people that have their GB removed have this type of uncontollable loose stools

If you still have a gallbladder then -- you have got to be having 1 or more trigger foods or drinks. For example -- my wife cannot finish a cup of coffee w/o having an urgent BM. I have problems with too much fruit and veggies-- I think it is too much insoluble fiber. I also take psyllium powdered fiber mixed w/ water twice daily.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
(male)

jack3295 HB User

i think you misunderstood me. thank god it's not loose stool. it's bad enough that i'm not making it to the bathroom. i can't imagine the difficulty changing a soiled diaper when it's diarea. i still have my galbladder so it's not that either. the most disturbing part of all this is that i'm really becomming dependent on the diapers. not that i've accepted the situation but there has been zero progress and it's been months since i actually made it to the toilet. i've rushed so many times only to loose control before i can get the diaper off. it's just easier to stay where ever i'm at and just let go. i can calmly go about the task at hand and change at a more leisurly pace. the obvious problem is that it's becomming as much as a covenience thing as an incontinence issue. very depressing to say the least.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
(male)

john the bomb HB User

You have a drop syndrome,that is,a piece of your colon was removed and the waste material is going out of your system very fast,hence you cannot make it.
As for you being diaper dependent,take it from a man who wears diapers(I am 41 and had a spinal cord injury 5 years ago,leaving me with a neurogenic bladder-my bowels,for the most part are fine).It is no disgrace to wear them.You probably will "outgrow" them in due time.If not,would you rather soil yourself?Diapers mask the smell and are discreet.No one has to know!I change them at work.I bring a bag ,diapers and a change of underwear,even.Again,no one is the wiser as I hide them in a discreet place.If the situation gets out of hand,it is up to you if you wish to tell your coworkers.
Good luck to you.

Closed Thread