It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Pain under both ribs???

Anybody else get pain under both ribs, I have been having this for 8 months now , I feel weak, look pale, the pain is so bad at times, I have the pain everyday, I have had gallbladder scan, Endoscopy that showed inflammation, a colonocopy that went wrong, so they had to stop, did say that the bit they did see would be were 85% of cancer would be!!
I am going for a C.T scan on the 14th of november!!
thankyou to anyone one that can help...Mandy

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 09-18-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: Pain under both ribs???

Hi mandy

I have been reading your posts for awhile now and replied to a few of them and i still think you may have crohn's.

So far you have said one of the tests has shown up inflammation of the small bowel, along with the pain you are describing in my opinion i think it's crohn's but im no doctor. You did say that most fo the pain is on the right side, this is common with crohn's.

Have you had blood tests done??? if so have you had your ESR checked?? If not get it checked, if it comes back elevated this is also a sign of crohn's.

Your doctor can do this test, all he needs to do is tick the box which says ESR. Also ask for a barium enema of the small bowel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi sharon , Thanks for replying when I had the Endoscopy, it showed inflammation of the Duodenum and small bowel the doctor put me on Lamprozole, which I am not taking because it gives me nightmares, and it did not help before when I was on it. I still got the pains. When I had the Colonoscopy I asked the surgeon if he saw anything and he said he didn't.

I was down for a CT scan on the 14 Nov - that has now been cancelled due to me complaining that it is too long away. They are going to do a Brium Eema now - of the large bowl. I am frightened of this, as the last procedure went wrong, is this one as bad? Will they be able to see up to my ribs? Did you have pain under your ribs?

I get the pain in the bottom right near the appendix sometimes very bad. The doctors have said that it isn't the appendix.

I have had a scan of the overies - which has come back with me having a collapsed corpus lutem.

Anyway my Brium Enema appointment is next Thursday. What is the right test to have for Crohn's disease.

How are you - I hope you are well and recovering from your op.

Mandy
I am having blood test tomorrow so I will tick the box, Do you think I should!!

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 09-18-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

The large bowel enema will only look at your large bowel not your small bowel, to get this checked you need specifically the small bowel enema. I had the large bowel enema done and isnt too bad, bit uncomfortable but manageable.

The small bowel barium is when you have to drink the liquid and they take several x rays over a period of a few hours.

I had pain under my ribs on the right side going all the way down to where my appendix were, also i had pain around my naval. My gastro doc told me that crohns often gets mistaken for appendicitis because of the location of the pain.

To test for crohn's in your case i would recommend the ESR blood test, small bowel barium enema and the gastrograph follow through. But this is just my opinion remember.

Before i was diagnosed with crohns i put myself on a low residue diet (which is recommended when crohns is flaring up) and i actually got some relief from the pain and other symptoms. Try a low residue diet and see how you get on with that.

It's up to you if you tick the box in the same colour pen!!! who knows the doctor may have forgot that he ticked the ESR box!

You really need to get your doc to refer you to a gastro if he hasnt already done it. If he has change your gastro doc. What area in the uk are you?

by the way dont be surprised if your liver enzymes comes back raised, mine did every time i had my bloods taken, the reason behind this was because my crohns was left untreated so it caused inflammation of alot of my other organs.

Last edited by Sharon76; 09-18-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear your colonoscopy didn't go well. On my first colonoscopy, a polyp was removed but the doc wasn't able to complete due to anatomic variation. However, I was able to find a skilled gastro to do complete repeat colonoscopies.

It is a blessing that they were able to visualize the "cancer hotspot area" on your colonoscopy. I take it that the area was clean?

From what I've pieced together, your procedure was a nightmare due to anesthetic issues? Sounds like incompetence to me. It's entirely possible that a more skilled doc would be able to complete a colonoscopy on you. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but you can file away the possibility, should you need to revisit the idea in future.

Various types of endoscopy (colonscopy being one) are standard tools for diagnosing Crohn's.

ESR (sed rate) is a common blood test that may give a clue as to Crohn's, however, it is a very general test & will not give a specific diagnosis. ESR is typically elevated with any form of infection or inflammation.

In addition to ESR, other blood tests that can help complete the picture include: CBC, CRP, liver function tests, and tests for specific antibodies.

Have you had a complete stool analysis done?

Best wishes.

Closed Thread