It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

crlady HB User
Unhappy Coffee ground appearance in stool

I had my first attack of diverticulitis a year ago. In the past 3 months I have had 2 more. The last one doesn't seem to want to quit although the pain is not as severe now. I am under a doctor's care and a resection is probably in my near future. The Dr. warned me to watch for anything in my stool (or maybe it is the stool) that looks like coffee grounds.

This past week I have noticed very small seed-like darker spots on the paper when I wipe. Suddenly I wondered if this is the coffee-ground stuff? I thought it would come in a large amount and I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about. My stools have also been very sticky and come often in small amounts. When I urinate I usually have a small amount of stool come out. As I said, it's very sticky and my bottom is sore from all the wiping I need to do to be clean.

Anyone else have any experience or advice on this? I sure want to avoid a colostomy bag !!

Old 10-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Coffee ground appearance in stool

I think what you describe is what your doctor meant, I think you should report it to your MD and let him decide. I believe he wants to know because it could indicate bleeding so just to be on the safe side call your doctor. I would recommend that you try Tucks pads for wiping, it might soothe your bottom. Also , after wiping apply a small amount of Vaseline to the area that can act as a barrier and prevent the chafing that is making you sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
(male)

randyrabe HB User
Re: Coffee ground appearance in stool

thr dr likes a report on your stool because it tells him what maybe happening inside. for example bright red blood is from either a hemmoroid that is irritating in wiping or a leak in the lower part of the colon. not really a big deal. black tarry stools is usually from blood that has been leaking in the upper part of the colon and is not to good. coffe ground stools look exactly like that (i've had them). they are usually copius and are due to bleeds in the small intestine where the blood has had a chance to partially digest and also maybe due to unabsorbed digestive juices rinning thru the colon. the colon hates this stuff and will do its best to get rid of it so massive diarhea will happen. a few little things on the tissue i don't think is bad nut get it checked out. what can it hurt. but if you get true coffee ground stools you will most likely not notice it (again like me) because you will be in a hospital with a gi tube down your nose.

have a nice day,

randy

Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
(male)

randyrabe HB User

i hope your dr told you what diverticulitus is. my mother had before she past away and when i went in for my first crohn's operation i also found i had a "mencles diverticulum". what the latter is that all babies are fed by the mother invitro going into the belly button. when born the cord is cut and in almost all cases the short little passage from the belly button to the intestine is absorbed, but some times it isn't as was in my case. so i had a short blind passage from my small intestine to just before the belly button. they got that w the cd operation and it never caused me problems.

what you have is a dead pocket. usually it is where the small intestine has outpouched and can accumulate anything and being a somewhat dead area rich in nutrients can lead to all source of problems including like holding on to bile salts which might work there way out eventually and end up looking in stool like coffe grounds.

randy

Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi cr lady, What kind of pain are you having this time? You said it isn't as severe as the other times. Is it a cramping pain? Do you have a fever or do you wake up in a cold sweat during the night?
I have multiple diverticula and have had one hospitalization for diverticulitis, but no operation. It was cured with IV antibiotics. I knew I was having the next attack and could cure it by taking antibiotics by mouth at home. And, many times it can be cured by eating extra fiber, and at least in my case never eating popcorn or nuts or cucumber seeds.
Of course, everyone is different; but usually the diverticulitis starts as constipation. That's why it's very important to be sure you eat lots of fiber-rich foods and/or take a fiber supplement, such as psyllium.
I agree with the poster who said that he doesn't think the specks on the toilet tissue were "coffee grounds". From what I understand, the stool looking like coffee grounds would show in the toilet and look blackish.
Certainly it would be wise to discuss this with your doctor. When I had my first attack, I called my doctor very often. You have to know exactly how your body reacts to minor or major attacks of diverticulitis so that you will know how to manage them. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

crlady HB User

Mabent said....Hi cr lady, What kind of pain are you having this time? You said it isn't as severe as the other times. Is it a cramping pain?

Yes, it is a cramping pain, only a sharp pain when I twist or turn my bodyDo you have a fever or do you wake up in a cold sweat during the night?

Yes, to both

I have multiple diverticula and have had one hospitalization for diverticulitis, but no operation. It was cured with IV antibiotics. I knew I was having the next attack and could cure it by taking antibiotics by mouth at home. And, many times it can be cured by eating extra fiber, and at least in my case never eating popcorn or nuts or cucumber seeds.

I've been staying away from popcorn, nuts, and seeds. I also try to eat fiber-rich foods and take supplements.

Thanks for responding.

Closed Thread