It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

CarolynL1983 HB User
Unhappy Recurring anal abscesses/fistulas

Not sure if I posted to the best place, this looked the closest...

Basically in Feb of this year I had an anal abscess, I went to the ER and they referred me to a gen. surgeon. I took the pain meds and antibiotics and it seemed like it went away so when I went to the surgeon there was nothing to be done. Well it came back with a vengeance, I ended up having an anal fistulotomy in April. I went through the healing and it seemed fine...But it came back and I ended up having to have another fistulotomy in Sept. I healed after a few weeks and things seemed better but now I have another one again! I refuse to go back to these general surgeons and I will be seeing a colon and rectal surgeon on Monday...I am back on pain meds and antibiotics.

I can't take this any more...I keep having to use vacation time for this, and I just don't understand. It keeps coming back in the exact same spot, so could it be that these stupid surgeons don't know what they are doing and didn't get it all? The only family history I have is my grandmother had colon cancer but recovered well and nothing else happened with that (this was like 15 yrs ago and she is doing fine) and my father had IBS 10 or so yrs ago but it went away on it's own so he thinks he never really had it. My mom had GERD years ago but that went away on it's own. I thought it might be Crohn's, but I have no other symptoms. I used to be border-line anemic but not anymore. My company does a yearly blood test where they do like 100 tests as a benefit to employees and that came out perfectly fine.

I am 23 years old and prior to this I have never had any symptoms for ANYTHING. I am a smoker and when I brush my teeth in the morning I gag, but I know that is from the smoking. I need to quit, I know this, I will once all this medical stress goes away. But that is the only other problem I have ever had. I go yearly to the gyno and I am always perfectly healthy.

Has anyone ever gone through anything similar or think they may know why this is happening to me? Sorry so long, and thanks in advance.

~*~Carolyn~*~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
(male)

lodgen HB User
Unhappy Re: Recurring anal abscesses/fistulas

i had one,i went to a colorectal surgeon, if its not done right and all is
not taken out went its done it will come back again, i hope they did not
damage your rectum too much, the more you do this the scarring will grow
find a good colorectal surgeon, eat soft foods and take colace and taking all
those antibiotics must be tough. take care and i feel for you the pain of
this must be difficult

Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

CarolynL1983 HB User
Re: Recurring anal abscesses/fistulas

Thanks...Yes, this time I did find a colon/rectal surgeon, and he says he doesn't want to do another fistulotomy, esp. since I am female (something about if I go through childbirth it could make me lose control of my bowels)...He is going to TRY to put a seton in it if he can, whatever that is...
~*~Carolyn~*~

Old 10-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
(female)

RebbieO HB User

It's not the fault of the surgeons, unfortunately they are persistent little buggers and keep coming back (the abscesses, not the surgeons!). I have had several over the last 16 years, related to Crohn's Disease. In fact, I am registered on my file as having PACD (Perianal Crohn's Disease). Sometimes they settle with antibiotics or after surgery, sometimes I need surgery again a few days later and other times I can go 2-3 years between reoccurrences.

The last few times I had a Seton put in. It sounds gross, but it's a bit like a drinking straw that you get with those little cartons of juice, but a bit softer. The abscess is drained during general anaesthetic and the Seton looped through the hole and tied on the outside. It keeps the abscess open so that it drains everything away. It's a bit uncomfortable at first, but far less than having to have daily dressing/packing done.

I have a one year old daughter and had an elective C-section due to my history of peri-anal abscesses. The concern was that the pressure of giving birth might open up a track that had healed up and the abscesses would return. I would thoroughly recommend this if you decide to have a baby and have persistent problems with abscesses anywhere in the perineum.

Last edited by RebbieO; 10-20-2006 at 05:08 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Are they not doing any tests to find out if it's crohns or not? Crohns commonly reoccurs in the same site even after surgery has supposedly removed it. Good luck and I hope things improve soon for you.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

carolynl19832 HB User

Hey it's me, couldn't remember my password...

RebbiO, that was funny about the surgeons being persistent little buggers!
I think if I ever have children I will elect to have a C-section.

I ended up having to have the fistulotomy again, so that is 3 times since April. But the surgeon said that it was b/c the other idiot surgeons did not get it all because it was longer than usual...

Twisten, While I was put under he did a sigmoidoscopy on me and nothing was seen. Also, I have no other symptoms for Crohn's. Absolutely no stomach problems, etc. So hopefully this was the last time...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Sorry to hear you had to have that procedure done again. On the bright side though, maybe this time they finally did get it all!!

Closed Thread