It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

1longcoolwoman HB User
Constant Bowel Issues and Many Bouts of Diverticulitis!

Hi all...My name is Cyn and I am 47 years old....I am new to this site and have spent a little time reading some of the posts, especially about diverticulitis. I have had bowel issues for over 10 years now, but went from one diverticulum to over 100 diverticula just in the sigmoid area in a matter of 3 years. Can anyone tell me how this could even be remotely possible? The only thing I have done different from the time my GI doc found one until now, is I have had several sigmoidoscopies and have had 2 colonoscopies since 2000. I used to only suffer with a diverticulitis attack roughly twice a year, but now I can't seem to stay well more than a month at a time. I have been hospitalized 3 times over the past year due to either becoming allergic to so many antibiotics that can be used, or the ones I can use, just stopped working. I became allergic to Cipro and could never tolerate Flagil. Has anyone else had a reaction to Flagil? Within 30 minutes of taking it, I am running a high fever and have terrible muscle aches. It makes me feel like I am deathly ill with the flu! I would like to know if anyone else has ever had this type of reaction. My doctor looks at me as if I am nuts when I explain how it makes me feel. Anyway, I have been told over and over that I need a resection done but I am terrified that something will go wrong. I know that after having such a bad year, my back is pretty much against the wall. If any of you have had resections and have any words of wisdom to offer, please respond. Also, I wanted to add that when I start feeling, colicky, which is one of the first symptoms I seem to get when I am getting sick with diverticulitis, I do a water enema. Sometimes this seems to calm or get the attack under control and it goes away. I don't know if this makes any sense of if something else is going on when I feel this way,(maybe IBS with the diverticulitis?) but I do notice some improvement when I do the clear water enemas. Has anyone else had any experience in using enemas to help? I used to use oral "Fleet" to clean the bowel and it seemed to cut down on some of the pain caused by having to move my bowels while in an attack. It has been a year and a half since my last colonoscopy and I know I will have to have another one before my resection is performed but I am so afraid that having these scopes is what is causing so many out pouchings to begin with. Also, I am worried that something else may be going on that is being missed. CancerDad, you seem to know so much about issues with the bowels, any comments on all that I have written? Sorry everyone that this is so lengthy. I feel I could write a book about this!!! I am so sick of being sick......I have suffered with diverticulitis for over 6 years, and this year has just about taken it's toll on me. If anyone has any suggestions, or comments, please write. I have just about gotten enough nerve to phone a surgeon. One last thing. I noticed that someone named Harry posted about using water soluble fiber to ward off attacks....Anyone? Thanks all....Cyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread