It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
(male)

striperman HB User
are black stools common with antibiotics?

Since I had my bout with Diverticulitis my stools are black, I am thinking this is because of the Flagyl and Cipro I am taking...My course of Antibiotis will be done on Tuesday. I am feeling just about 100% now and hope I can control this with diet in the future...Thanks for your input...Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: are black stools common with antibiotics?

Bill,

Black stools are an indication of blood that has oxidized in your stool.
It is not caused by either antibiotics.

It can be caused by taking iron supplements and Pepto Bismol. But, you are probably not taking either?

Last edited by Harry; 11-04-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
(male)

striperman HB User
Re: are black stools common with antibiotics?

Correct I do not take those suplements, I just take the flagyl and cipro, along with a stool softner..In the hospital; they tested my stool for blood but siad there was not any.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
(male)

nick89 HB User

i took avelox which is in the same family as cipro the quinolones. i took it 4.5 months ago i still have black stools and the side effects of this extremely dangerous drug has left me ina wheelchair. cipro causes black stools among many other side effects.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Question Re: are black stools common with antibiotics?

Nick,
What does your Doctor that prescribed Cipro say about your condition and black stools?

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-05-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
(male)

nick89 HB User

i had an fecal occult blood test to check for blood in the stool; all tests came back normal.the black stools got better after i ceased the antibiotic avelox but i still have black stools from time to time. i had plenty of other blood tests too because all of my muscles were hurting so severely i couldnt walk. all of those tests came back normal too, and after 2 months finally 2 seperate doctors confirmed all of my problems were from the avelox i took. hopefully your problems will stop after your off the antibiotic. are you experiencing any odd muscle pains or anything else?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

nick,

Sorry you had so much problems with that drug. I know it is like Cipro but I have taken Cipro so much with protate infections, urinary tract infectiions(2), and many diverticular infections and intestinal problems.

I have never had black stools or any other side effects that I know of.

I have never taken it longer than 7 days and I alway take probiotic supplements several times daily and eat yogurt while taking Cipro. I also take a psyllum fiber supplement daily --- every day.
I also took the minerals that mess with Cipro's absorption--- like zinc, magnesium and calcium about 3 hours after Cipro.

The antibiotics that I have had the most trouble with it Amoxicillin causes candida infections that are difficult for me to deal with and Flagyl -- I can take-- too much cramping.

I certainly wish you well---Harry

Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
(male)

nick89 HB User

many people can take cipro several times before they get any side effects. its a build up of toxicity. side effects can occur weeks or months after stopping the drug so be on the look out for any unknown symptoms such as muscle pain. i hope your condition improves take care.

Closed Thread