It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
Question for the Resectie Old Timers

Hey all! I had a resection of the sigmoid last December due to diverticulitis, as well as a hysterectomy at the same time. I think I have had more issues with the hyst. than the colon resection, adjusting to hormones and such, but have recently had a concern. I have been feeling some mild twinges of pain just in the past week or so, in the good old spot of the resection. I had almost forgotten the feeling, but it came back in my memory, and I am quite sure! Just mild pains here and there, and passing, but persistent for most of the day, and for a whole week now. BMs have changed as well from one pretty regularly solid to a few sudden, quite loose movements at the usual time I go. I thought to give it at least another week or so before I get too concerned, as there is no fever or increasing pain. A friend that had her resection had some narrowing that needed to be stretched, but she said her symptoms were "rabbit pellets." I suppose different people could have different symptoms, and I was hoping someone out there may have had some concerns this far, or more, out from surgery. I don't think I can quite deal with the unthinkable...that I could be getting more diverticulitis??? I mean, I have had NO problems with it, other than healing a few weeks afterwards!!

Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

Marmex HB User
Re: Question for the Resectie Old Timers

MrsQueeZ-sorry you are feeling some old symptoms- I can tell you that I get what you have described on a regular basis. You may recall I had my resection last February- am a little over 8 months post-op. I do have IBS and have had it for years. My Dr. is annoyed with me coming to him in pain- he says he thinks it is IBS. I am seeing a different Dr. in December- he doesn't know that. I had a colonoscopy in June 4 mos post-op and there was nothing to explain the symptoms. I am sore in the abdomen, get transient pains many times in the lower left and groin area- loose stools out of nowhere and other times have to push to go. I am so afraid of the unthinkable as well- I know I will never be able to put all of this out of my mind. I know the feelings I get and what I feel but nobody seems to understand my concern. Probably to ease your mind a follow-up with your Dr. may help to ease your mind. If I remember correctly you had a good relationship with your surgeon.

Sorry I'm not that much help- let us know how you make out- it is helpful to know that some of us are still around the board. Good Luck and keep in touch. Stackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Thanks, Stackie

I at least want to give it 2 weeks, which doesn't seem like it will be a problem, if these past few days hold steady! Somewhat worse with the liquid bm's, and just when I think I haven't felt any pains for awhile, I get some more! Nothing but liquid bm's for at least the last 10 days or so! I don't really want to call it diarrhea because it doesn't come with the cramping and frequency I associate with that. But still, VERY unusual for me!!!

Renata

Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

Marmex HB User

Hey Renata- What's been happening the past few days? Hopefully you are doing better. I have had a bout of diarrhea and awful pains all over abdomen and mostly left-sided since last Friday. Saw another GI yesterday- says he thinks it is the IBS acting up again. Also may have adhesions from the surgeries I have had. He won't even talk about it right now. Said to take pepperment drops 3x a day and a good Probiotic- I already do take PB8- have to check Harry's sites and see what other ones he takes.

Find it hard to believe that no other resecties responded to your question. Where is everybody? Maybe everybody is cured and having fun- hope that is the reason. Let us know how you are doing. Stackie

Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Thanks for checking on me, Stackie! I went from what I described to nausea in the middle of the night until I vomited. Kind of freaked me out, like, is something blocked?? But it seems that it was an isolated incident. Things have become a little more solid, and I still have passing pain. Not getting worse or anything, so I guess I will hang in there until or if something worsens!

Renata

Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Renata,

Sorry to see that you're having some concerns. I have had some passing pains but not related to loose BM's. I, like you, get a little nervous about what is going on. As regards to narrowing that could occur, my doctor told me to watch for extremely narrow BM's.

Are you taking a fiber supplement? I think that I read that it could help bulk up the stools.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Get it checked out if things continue or get worse.

How is your school year going? I'm glad it is almost Thanksgiving. I'm ready for a break.

Maggie

Old 11-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Things have gotten worse today, and I'm back on Cipro and Flagyl, and WAY DEPRESSED about it! I finally had a somewhat normal BM this morning, and that was followed quickly by good old PAIN, just like the diverticulitis pain I remember so well! My surgeon's office wanted me to go back to the family doctor, and that is her best guess anyway, after listening to the gut sounds and feeling around. It's such a bummer! I had surgery less than a year ago! What do they do, just keep taking more out? She didn't seem to have any suggestions as to what I could do to stop it, other than avoid the trigger foods. I've been trying to maintain a high fiber diet pretty much since the surgery, and have more than my share of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. Just swallowed the first of the nasty, double whammy pills. I was crying when I left the doctor's at the thought of all of this again.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Oh Renata,

I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how you are feeling---I would have been crying too--probably screaming "it's not fair". Were they going to do a CT scan to confirm it? Of course, then you have to drink the awful contrast.

I don't know what they do--I know my school nurse said that mine was low enough that they could take out more at another time if they needed to.

Your posting is a wake up call for me. I have slacked off a bit from my metamucil and high fiber diet. My surgeon believes that everyone should be on metamucil. She says that you need to keep things moving on through and not let it sit around for long!!!

You'll be in my prayers. Just thinking of the Cipro/Flagyl is making my head hurt and my stomach roll.

Keep in touch,
Maggie

Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble Maggie. I haven't had a resection but I did have to have a temporary colostomy while a fistula healed a few years ago. I have crohns and it has been active for, well forever it seems . They are testing me for other auto-immune disorders now too. Like I need anything else wrong with me lol. The crohns seems to always become active in the same locations so that I can relate to with you. You had a resection because of diverticulitis (sp?) right? I'm on that crappy cipro/flagyl combo right now too. I always seem to end up with yeast infections with that stuff. I now more than get rid of it and it comes right back. I hope things straighten out for you and you don't end up having more surgery. Good luck with everything.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
(female)

gomer4 HB User

Renata,

I am so sorry to hear this. I had my resection in April..........not sure if you remember me. But, I remember posting quite often before that, talking with you and others -- trying to get a grip on the whole thing.
One on my worst fears is having a flare up. What I don't understand is how you can have a flare up when the bad section is gone. I've recently started eating a few of the "bad" foods..........but reading this has made me reconsider that.
Well, I do hope it is something different...........not that I wish something else on you............and I do hope you feel better soon.

Lori

Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I surely did need them this morning!! I guess I wanted to pretend that everything would be fine, since I had the ultimate done to take care of it. My surgeon TOLD me to return to eating everything, including the trigger foods. I had been off of vegetables and fiber for soooo long before the surgery that I was STILL appreciating them! I am going to try taking this round of cipro/flagyl while eating easy foods, then I am going to go back on high fiber, avoiding seeds and nuts. Thanks all, and I'm glad I could at least serve as a wake up call!

Renata

Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
(female)

Marmex HB User

Hi Renata-
So sorry to hear of your latest troubles- cannot understand how you could have diverticulitis so soon after the surgery. My surgeon told me that my chances for a repeat problem were not zero but were really minimal. I have been afraid of foods ever since- haven't approached seeds or nuts in years !!! I got many attacks in spite of that. I can just pray that you are experiencing something else and will be fine. Did you ever have IBS? Now the Drs. blame my symptoms on that and the newest wrinkle is possible adhesions... that's another ball of wax !!!

I hope that you check this out thoroughly when you get over the antibiotics . Please know that I will be praying for you and a positive outcome. Have a nice Thanksgiving and few days off from work. Keep in touch- we resecties are pulling for you !!! Stackie

Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

I've been trying to research about recurring diverticulitis after surgery, but I keep pulling up results for recurrent attacks that lead to the surgery. I shall continue to look. I don't trust my doctor a whole lot to make a good call on things, but I trust my own instinct when it comes to this exact pain, and I hardly believe it myself!! Of course, I didn't let it go until I was doubled over in the emergency room, but it was "take your breath away" pain stabs. I woke up this morning and thought it was gone, but it has returned, a little better than yesterday. I forgot how awful it is to sleep on this medicine, for some reason. I am hoping the medicine DOESN'T change things, and then maybe I can hope for adhesions possibly, instead of diverticulitis??

Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
(female)

gomer4 HB User

Renata...........

I am wondering how you are feeling now? I have been hoping that you are feeling better.

Lori

Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

AS you may remember I had my entire sigmoid colon + surgically removed (2 1/2 feet) on 3/4/2002.

From what I have read you can develop diverticular pockets as long as you have a colon.
That is why I believe in taking a water soluble fiber daily to bulk up your stool-- keep your colon cleaner and keep you regular without straining--- Constipation is the biggest cause of both diverticulars as well as hemorrhoids.

And, if you get diverticlars -- they can certainly get infected and develop into diverticulitis.

I wish ya'll well---Harry

Closed Thread