It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

Texan1982 HB User
Problems with Stomach Not Dissolving Pills

Ive been taking Allegra D now for 3 days and have been having bowel problems the last couple of weeks due to bronchitis and flu like symtoms. One thing ive noticed is that the allegra d is not dissolving and showing up in my stools. Why would this be occuring, is this a sign of something wrong in my stomach that could be causing my food to not be dissolving which is causing me other problems?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Re: Problems with Stomach Not Dissolving Pills

Hi!
I hope this solves one of your questions, I was totally shocked to find it solved one of mine. But I have Chronic diarrhea and have also noticed my medicine completely whole being passed right though. It concerned me enough to ask my Doctor about it. He told me that most medicines now are extended release and the capsules and tablets have tiny microscopic holes in them (which is how they work) to dissolve slowly. and what I was seeing was just an empty shell, it may not look empty due to it having collected water on it's way though.
StarDust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Texan

Do you have diarrhea?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

bumblebeeskies HB User

I have this problem too...only it took me a yr and a half to figure out what it was! At first, I thought the tiny white things in my poop, were the sprinkles on the cookies I kept buying and eating. After stopping that, the perfectly round white things were still in my poop-I thought I had some strange, horrible problem! LOL Mostly, I thought maybe it was worm eggs! I was too embarassed to ask my Dr. I finally told a friend about it, and it just happened that her aunt had had it for a while. She told me that it was probably medicine. I was only taking one med. in capsule form, so I opened it up, and Yep, It was the tiny balls in my capsules of Effexor (antidepressant). LOL

Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Your gastro tract may be too fast and not allowing time for the pills to dissolve. If it is a pill or tablet crush it and mix it with some yogurt or other food then take it and if it is a capsule pop it open and mix it with some food.

To slow down your digestive tract you could start taking a water soluble fiber supplement. It will also bulk up your stool. I use the Equate brand psyllium from Wal Mart --- it is like Metamucil. You may need a soluble supplement anyway!!

People that eat alot of fruits and veggies usually have a fast transit time!! And, some people's gastro tract is just plain faster than others-- or it could be diet but it may be genetics??

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-27-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Closed Thread