It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Exclamation Oily Stools?? Please Advise!

Lately I have been having very smelly, oily stools. You can see the oil on top of the water in the toilet. I have had stomach trouble for many years, but was told it was IBS. I have never had this symptom until now. I have been having abdominal pain, on left and right sides, under my ribs. My doc did a blood test once, testing for a pancreaus issue, but said the bloodwork was normal. Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Thank You!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Oily Stools?? Please Advise!

When an oil is seen on the toilet water, it usually means that your gallbladder is not putting out enough bile salts to digest the fat or grease that you have intaken.

The left and right side pain is also an indication that you may have gallbladder problems--

The best test to have is a GB scan called a HIDA scan that tests the GB and how it is functioning.

You can do a search to find out how the test is run and what it tells you about your gallbladder.

My wife just had her GB removed 2 1/2 weeks ago but did not have symptoms like you are having except for the pain under her ribs on both sides but severe pain just below her breast bone-- a stone was being passed. She had 5 stones that were pretty large-- but all it takes is one to cause pain!

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate you taking the time. Is your wife better now? How bad was the surgery?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My wife went to the ER the night of 11/15 was admitted at 9 am the next morning and operated on at 9pm that night (11/16) and came home the next day at 5 pm on 11/17.

I think she is doing well -- she was sore for a few days but has been doing fine.
No problems with the surgery and we have not found any problems that sometimes happens with gallbladder surgery.

I think it was a wise thing to do.
In the ER I look at her blood work, x-ray and ulrasound test.
Her liver enzymes were up about 10 times more than normal. I talked with the surgeon and he said they should return to normal in 3 to 4 weeks. We will get the liver function blood test when it is time!

Her surgeon released her after 10 days.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 12-05-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Closed Thread