It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

AlienB HB User
fissure LIS surgery

Hello folks,
Well I'm thinking about having the fissure thing done. The Dr. said it only took him 10 min. and consisted of a cut were the fissure is located and the muscle around the anus. Has anyone had this done? If so how long did it take the insisions to heal? Please advise, I know people go a long time with these things but man it's painful. Let me know..thanks..

Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

ericollin HB User
Re: fissure LIS surgery

How long have you been suffering with your fissure? I have one which I am trying to heal. My doctor wants to discuss surgery in January if it is not healed by then. I would be interested to know what the surgery healing is like too and how long it takes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
(male)

AlienB HB User

For about 3 months and man it is tuff. You can try soaking and use p jelly before a BM. Let me know what you've tried??

Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

ericollin HB User

I am presently seeing a colorectal doctor who is trying to treat me conservatively. He has me putting a prescription ointment on it 3 times a day. It is a prescription from a special pharmacy in the building he works in. I seem to be healing but it is very slow going. I know that another person on this board who has had a lot of trouble with fissures swears by her own homemade cocobutter suppositories. I think that she said that petroleum jelly hindered her healing there.

Last edited by ericollin; 01-13-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Old 12-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
(male)

AlienB HB User

I'd like to try some fluocinolone, how much is it helping? Has your Dr. mentioned the LIS surgery yet? Is this just regular coca butter the lady used?? Can I get some?? I really would like a non-surgical solution. Let me know how you are doing..

Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

ericollin HB User

I was not bleeding at all toward the end of last week. But over the weekend I started bleeding again. Because I had a hemorrhoidectomy before this fissure thing happened, I have completely altered my diet. Well, I have been having some diarrhea recently as I'm still trying to figure out the diet thing so that may be why I'm bleeding. If you go on the "Hemorrhoidectomy Blues 2" thread and read pages 1 and 2, you will see one post by a woman named Tammynoska. She describes in her post how to make the cocoa butter suppositories. You will need to buy a mold to make them and I'm not sure where she bought that. But the cocoa butter yellow sticks are available almost anywhere. Yes, my doctor has mentioned that we will discuss the surgery at my next visit if I am not yet healed. My next visit is in early January. I pray that I will be healed before then so that I don't even need to think about the surgery. The only other thing that I have considered trying to help my healing is using a very natural cream that breastfeeding women use called lansinoh. It is used to heal cracked and bleeding nipples so it seems that it would possibly work on the tender skin down there. Let me know how you are doing too and if you try anything that works for you.

Last edited by ericollin; 01-13-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

2good2bthru HB User

I had anal fissure surgery and if you can avoid it, do! I don't know if it was because they had messed up so much on me but the fissure surgery was horrible! My doctor told me there wouldn't be any pain and the 1st night I couldn't even lay down! My husband said it looked like the dr. had filleted me like a fish! It was wide open and I was running from the bathroom to the shower to the bathtub all night long. Surgery in August, still showering in December!

Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
(female)

ericollin HB User

2good2bthru,
How horrible for you! What type of fissure surgery did you have? Did the surgery cause you incontinence? Are you still in pain? Do you still have the fissure(s)? Are you still afraid of having bowel movements? How long did you have your fissure before you had the surgery? What does your doctor say now that it has been months since your surgery? Please let me know.
Thanks,
ericollin

Old 12-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
(female)

Jenny1207 HB User

i am 3 days post-op and i am doing fairly well. still a bit bruised but absolutely no pain or bleeding during a bowel movement for the first time in months i can think of something other then my butt. oh and definitely no incontinence here.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
(female)

2good2bthru HB User
Unhappy Re: fissure LIS surgery

ericollin, I had anal fissure surgery. The fissure was 3 cm long, 2 cm wide, and 1 1/2 deep. It started out w/ a Hemmi surgery, and infection setting in. Then, an abcess that the doc let grow to over 7 cm before he would operate and then the third surgery was the fissure. He missed the fissure when he did the abcess surgery and I was in agony! I still have a hole in me and so I am still showering after every bowel movement and don't know how long it will be until I am "normal" again. It is so frustrating!

Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
(male)

AlienB HB User

All,
I'm still putting the surgery off, not really trying any creams. I'm on stool softeners and have cut back on the sitz baths. Riding in a car is the most painful thing for me. Were can I inquire about this hyperbaric oxygen therapy? I'll also try the coca butter, can you get it a grocery store? Does anyone know how long the recovery is on the surgery. I think there is a big difference between cutting the muscle only and cutting around the fissure. Let me know what type folks have had.

Keep me posted on the steroid ointment..thanks

Old 12-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
(male)

lodgen HB User

do the surgery i had hemroid,fisuure and lateral done all at once, hemmriod
surgery id the worst part,fissure will be less painfull and you will heal up
quicker. i was supposed to have my fissure done only but he did my three
hemmroids at the same time ,this is painfull, if you only doinf the fissure
you will be painfree after surgery and have a loose syncter which will let
your fissure heal. make sure you have a colorectal surgen do it

Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
(female)

ericollin HB User

AlienB,
I am still using my steroid ointment and I think that it is working but slowly. I see my colorectal doctor next week. I am hoping that he has good news for me. I am still having pain some. Sitting does not feel good. I agree with you that riding in a car is the worst. I had to ride for 3 hours in a car today and it was not good.

As a backup, I have looked into finding a hyperbaric oxygen therapy place near me by searching online. I did find one and called and talked to the nurse on the phone. She said that they have had a lot of people cure their fissures by using this therapy as this therapy is good for healing hard-to-heal wounds (like fissures). She said that it is covered by some health insurances. If it is not covered, it is expensive because of how time-consuming it is. It would be treatments for 90 minutes a day Monday thru Friday for 30 days.

I know that people say the sphincterotomy is a much easier surgery to heal from but there is still that small percentage chance of being left incontinent which FREAKS me out. Once the sphincter has been cut there is NO going and putting it back like before. So what is that sphincter going to be like when I am 80 years old? Did anyone ask their doctor that question or know the answer to that question?

Can we post the names of stores? I cannot remember. I have not looked for the cocoa butter yellow sticks at the grocery stores but I have purchased them at a big-name pharmacy nearby my house. They are only about $1.00 per stick or less.

I am just curious. Why have you cut back on the sitz baths? Do you feel that they are not helping?
ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-27-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Closed Thread