It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #1

darkeyes HB User
what could be causing this constipation??

okay, i've been having these symptoms off and on for the last 3 years or so. it started with chronic constipation.... well, it came and went and then finally was constant for a couple of months (even had to give myself an enema once it was that bad) until i went to the ER last november with acute abdominal pain. i could hardly stand the agony. the pain settled in my lower right abdominal quadrant. got a CT scan while still in such pain and all the doc. could tell me was that i should probably see a gyno. for follow-up. i started to vomit quite a bit too. they gave me morphine. i wondered what the CT scan showed and all he said was some 'fluid-filled' area... ovarian cyst that ruptured? so, after that ER incident, i had a little blood in my stool and urine (and right before the pain occured i noticed that my urine was reddish). it stopped soon afterwards. then, all of a sudden my constipation 'vanished'. i had regular bowels for up to a year. then, about a month ago, my constipation started all over again and now i'm having a lot of lower back tenderness too. but my periods are all 'normal'. i have no abnormal bleeding, heavy bleeding, or spotting.. my periods start and stop like clockwork almost... every 26-27 days give or take a few days. it's wierd. but i do have gas often...and some pelvic discomfort. my nerves in my lower back feels so inflammed! i can hardly bend forward anymore (i do yoga regularly). i also cannot do a lot of back flexibility moves i used to do on account of severe pain in my lower back. i almost could hardly stand up straight after trying some positions i probably shouldn't have.

so, could it be cysts, IBS, or something else..???? oh, i just recently had a pelvic u/s done and it showed no large or abnormal looking mass in my ovaries or anything.

is the underlying problem an intestinal one? or ovarian cyst related? a bowel or gyno issue? well, it's manifesting itself with constipation, so now i've got to find out what's causing it...

posted this in the women's health section but no one seemed to be able to relate so far... maybe i'll get more responses here...? worth a try i guess..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: what could be causing this constipation??

It is difficult to tell what is going on by your symptoms.
But, I think you need to see a gastro Doctor and get a coolonoscopy. This will make sure there is nothing serious going on in your colon area.

I suggest you start taking a soluble fiber suppement twice daily like Metamucil. And make sure you drink 6 to 8 glasses daily.

I think you are just going to have to eliminate the worse things it could be.

Harry

Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #3

darkeyes HB User

no, it's not lack of fiber-related... or lack of fluids-related.... my bowels, like i said, were normal after that acute abdominal pain episode until about a year. metamucil won't touch it. i think maybe a colonoscopy is the next order as you said. the u/s turned out normal....just got the results in today. that chinese diet green tea seems to induce my bowels...however, with quite a bit of abdominal discomfort... at least it's working so far. i like to use more natural stuff...

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Constipation is mostly caused by lack of fiber in your diet, not enough fluids or exercise. Or you have and intestinal mobility problems with possible nerve damage.

To have normal BMs a person needs to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily and it needs to be a combination of both insoluble and soluble fibers.
Soluble fiber absorbs fluids and is a bulking agent and insoluble fiber causes the intestines to contract -- resulting in peristalsis moving digested food through your intestines.

Metamucil is a natural fiber -- psyllium seed husk that is mostly a soluble fiber supplement. Did you take it in the powdered form and followed the directions.
Most peoples diet lack soluble fiber.

Green tea is a good antioxidant for reducing free radicals to help reduce some cancer causes, lowers cholesterol levels, and reduces clotting tendancy of blood and holds some promise in controlling blood sugar and insulin levels --- but I have never read where it was used to induce BMs.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
(female)

lisat1412 HB User

[well ive been having pain and constipation one put me on stool softners well that was ok till recently i started haveing lower abodomenal pains , then it went to my side i had exrays nothing but had 2 disks close together and consipation 3 weeks now pain has eased toa dull burning sinsation in my abdomen and is tender to the touch another doctor put me on zelnorm, and i had a cat scan done waiting on results but if you get a diagnoses before i do let me know

Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
(female)

PiaSava HB User

Hi...
I agree with you that a colonscopy would be a smart next move. You describe a period of "remission" that could be connected to IBD. Few people know that you can have the "C" and still have IBD. Most people connect it with the big "D" as in diarreah. A colonscopy would rule out both colitis and crohn's.

"my nerves in my lower back feels so inflammed" with the bowel problems tell me its intestinal. But you never know, our bodies are complex and alot of things are connected.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #7

darkeyes HB User

thanks for the replies! i think it's also intestinal as my u/s showed up neg. for ovarian cysts... what's wierd is that i can hardly bend over like before.. it hurts my poor back. maybe the intestines are pressing on some nerve endings in my back?? also i do have some abdominal cramping...comes and goes. i think it could be IBS which i have long suspected. and the mystery continues for now....

Closed Thread