It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
(female)

canme HB User
Foul Smelling and Fatty BMs

For the last 9 (or so) months, I've been having bowel movements with fat on it. I then went into a bout of constipation that could only be cured with laxatives. It would go on for weeks if i wouldn't take laxatives, and the BM would be huge, and painful to get rid of. I have also put on around 10 pounds in the last 3-4 months. Currently, I'm experiencing foul-smelling bowel movements with foul-smelling urine, as well. The last time I used laxatives, the fat showed up again, after a couple months. I've also been experiencing gas and bloatedness on a regular basis that is very painful on some occasions. I plan on going to the Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow to grab some probiotics and the grocery store to get some probiotic yogurt, but does anyone have any idea what could be nagging me for so long.

I should mention that my diet has been TERRIBLE for the last year or so (maybe longer). I'm in the process of completely transforming my diet, hoping for positive results and to lose the extra weight.

Any tips would be great. I will probably be making my way to the doctor's office for an eval. But, I would love your input.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User
Re: Foul Smelling and Fatty BMs

Foul smelly fatty stools is a symptom of celiac disease. So is stomach pains and gas. The mayo clinic website has a good description of it. Or it might just be your diet. Good luck!

Last edited by pugluver31902; 12-21-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
(male)

nameless07 HB User

Is the bad smell coming whilst at the toilet or after it, when you are watching tv or walking around for example ?

Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

canme HB User

the smell is most noticeable after i use the toilet. my boyfriend says its quite horrid, but i can also smell some of the same odor while just sitting around. any ideas what it could be?

Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

canme,

Eating a poor diet will cause constipation, a smelly stool, as well as bloating and gas.

Several things you need to do is take a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium that is in Metamucil and other brands to make you more regular. Including drink enough water daily and getting adequate exercise.

Take probiotic supplements (helps re-establish good friendly bacteria) , digestive enzymes (we eat too many foods that need help digesting -- like all cooked or processed Foods) and either eat more green veggies or take a green food supplement like the one at the Vitamin Shoppe --- that I use-- Green Phyters-- the phytonutrients from green foods contain chlorophyll that will help de-orderize your stool.

All of these suggestions will help your digestion and get rid of a smelly stool,

Also, eating too much sugary and salty food messes up your digestion because they are basically preservative including alcohol.

Harry

Old 12-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
(male)

nameless07 HB User

Do you find yourself using alot of toilet paper and how long have you had this problem for ?

Last edited by nameless07; 12-30-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
(female)

canme HB User

i didn't necessarily use a lot of toilet paper. but yes, my diet has been terribly bad. i just bought the green phyters and a vitamin shoppe brand probiotic. i will go back and get some digestive enzymes as well. i have vowed to improve my diet considerably.

i have, in fact, tried to improve my diet over the christmas holiday, and did pretty well, i must say. however, when i returned home after being at home for a week, i began to excrete small (1cm diameter) balls of fat or mucus with no stool. i did this during a couple trips to the bathroom. over the previous week, i did not eat fried foods, at more vegetables, at less food in general and began drinking green tea. i don't know if i am just clearing my system, or if this is another complication, but any input would be helpful. i have told myself not to use laxatives unless absolutely necessary as to not harm my digestive tract anymore than it is now, but i haven't had a BM in at least a week.

Closed Thread