It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

natchimabeauty HB User
Proctitis - 2nd autoimmune incident in 2 yrs

I have just been diagnosed with Chronic Proctitis after having blood and mucous in the stool for a period of 3 weeks. After my colonoscopy, the doc told me that I have had this condition for well over 6 months (but I did not know it). I have had ZERO pain with the above symptoms, so I was just hoping it was polyps (In which 2 were found and are benign).

Doc tells me that my condition is not an infection, but an auto-immune disease whereby my body is attacking a protein. It will be one of those “wax and wane” diseases that may come and go in the years ahead. Again, they do not know the cause or the cure of this disease. Theories claim that stress or dairy products may increase the likelihood of a reoccurrence. It is definitely genetic and most likely runs in families

My concern is that a year and a half ago, I had a serious illness that lasted 5 weeks, whereby 2 lesions were found in the white matter of my occipital lobe. Initially, it was thought that I had MS (another auto-immune) disease. After visiting 3 neurologist, the last one likes to believe that I had a migraine related stroke. I am having difficulty accepting this answer because I never had a migraine in my life and I don't see how you can have a stroke that affects the white matter of your brain. Most strokes are related to your arteries or blood clots and such.

My symptoms (fatigue, right calf burn, imbalance, eye pulling sensation, etc) persisted for over 6 months until a doctor prescribed Gabapentin (generic neurontin) and now I feel as good as new!

In the past 6 months since I have been on gabapentin, I have drastically changed my lifestyle by using my treadmill (walking 10-15 miles a week) and quit a 32 year smoking habit. In the interm, I have gained 15 lbs and have an increased appetite. My New Yeas resolution is to achieve the 10,000 steps a day program (which I have been doing very successfully). Other than these two serioud conditions, you would never know that I was not well. I am otherwise very healthy regarding blood tests, blood pressure, and general well-being.

Therefore, I am very perplexed as to how I could possibly get another possible auto-immune disease. I was under tremendous stress during the past 6 months, but I always handle stress well (mentally), but apparently my body reacts poorly. I was also under tremendous stress during my so-called stroke.

I am just curious is there is anybody else out there who has proctitis as well as another auto-immune disease?

Thanks for listening to my extremely long post!

Last edited by natchimabeauty; 01-05-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
(male)

jbar47 HB User
Re: Proctitis - 2nd autoimmune incident in 2 yrs

I have also been diagnosed with proctitis. At least, that's the most probable cause of the problems I've been having, which include blood on stool, several small BMs as opposed to ne or two large ones, pain in rectum when I go and for a while afterward, and chronic problems with fissures.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

natchimabeauty HB User
Re: Proctitis - 2nd autoimmune incident in 2 yrs

I just had my first flare up 8 months after my colonscopy. My doctor warned me that this is an autoimmune disease that will wax and wane. I still had meds leftover from the last time.

I initially used the canasa and I am apparently one of the rare people who's reaction will worsen using this suppository.

I started using the other drug Mesalamine, which is a nasty procedure of squeezing the liquid into your rectum. I don't like using it at all, but it cleared up my condition after 4 dosages.

It has been two weeks since my flare up and all is OK. I can certainly attribute the flare up to stress.

Closed Thread