It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
When do hemorrhoids require removal?

I developed two hemorrhoids during my 5th month of pregnancy. I had them checked by my OB/GYN right away. I never bothered checking them after I had my son so I'm not sure what they looked like at that point. I kind of figured I still had them though, because I could feel them swell a little after I'd have a BM. (I never had any pain and only rare itching from them though.)

Just recently, 21 months after having my son, I've started noticing itching down there that wasn't going away. So after I showered today, I put on the Preparation H that I'd bought when I first got the hemorrhoids but never had to use before. After applying it, I got out a mirror and checked myself. It was... not a pretty sight. The hemorrhoid(s?) run along the entire left side of my anus now. I've never had any bleeding or pain from them but they did look pretty swollen. I've been haviing BMs more frequently lately over the last week, as last week I had a slight case of the flu (along with diahrrea), and then this week I started taking a multivitamin that's caused me to go more frequently, too. I should note that I never have problems with constipation. So I'm pretty sure that the itching is due to having BMs more frequently.

I'm going to have my gyn look at them at my next pap next month, but I'm just wondering when hemorrhoids require removal?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

ericollin HB User
Re: When do hemorrhoids require removal?

If your hemorrhoids don't bother you much DON'T do anything about removing them. Try and treat your symptoms by adding fiber (metamucil or by eating high fiber foods) to your diet, not straining during bowel movements, adding stool softeners to your routine, and maybe applying topical treatments. Hemorrhoidectomies are 10 times more painful than childbirth and there are many BAD side-effects (like fissures) that can leave you in more pain. If you want to know what a hemorrhoidectomy is like, read either one of the hemorrhoidectomy threads and it will make your decision about NOT having one very easy.

Last edited by ericollin; 01-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread