It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
One year after colon surgery

I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for problems going on 3 months now. I've had loose stools that I can't really call diarrhea as far as frequency, but they are pretty much look like undigested food. I have a steady pain where I had the colon surgery, and it gets much worse when I add more fiber to my diet. When my bladder is full, it feels like it is pulling on the left side, which is relieved somewhat when I go. I have occasional burning feelings behind my belly button. I'm kind of worried I have some adhesions or narrowing!! I've already taken one round of Cipro and Flagyl before Christmas, which did seem to settle things down a bit. After, it was like constant diarrhea, and I took some probiotics which seemed to slow things down some. I am trying a new doctor tomorrow because I haven't been too crazy about my family doctor. If I've had diverticulitis, she will just want to give me pills for that again! I don't know if it is that again or something new. It gets so depressing!! Anyone have these kinds of problems after a fairly long period of time in peace? The first 10 months were pretty calm!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

Marmex HB User
Re: One year after colon surgery

Hi Renata-
Yes, I can relate to your dilemma- I have had pains, sometimes loose stools,constipation etc. since the surgery which will be one year in February for me. I was in the hospital on antibiotics in June for awful pains, diarrhea etc- never knew what it was no conclusive diagnosis- allergic to ct scan dye- so their ct scan w/out dye wasn't accurate. I did have a negative colonoscopy at that time- 1 week after cipro iv. I saw a different GI in a larger city in Nov. he feels that the pains. pulling, throbbing occasionally, diarrhea, constipation etc. are from IBS and possibly adhesions. I am not having any narrowing of the stool at present so who knows. You are smart to get another opinion- please let us know how you make out. It is discouraging to say the least. you had two surgeries at the same time so adhesions could very well be playing a part. I had a complete hysterectomy 7 years before the resection so probably have my share of adhesions. The surgeon saw "relatively few" when he did the resection and "pulled them apart, but they will usually come back !!!" You go figure out any of this. I am so discouraged- was told prior to surgery that I will feel better than I have in a long time- NOT !!! I know you have been troubled lately and had hoped to hear that you were better. Would love to know if we are the only ones with continuuing problems. Not too many resecties write on here lately.
Take care- and please write back- you are in my prayers. Stackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Renata & Stackie,

I am still around and write -- not too much about resection problems -- sorry ya'll are having problems.

As you may remember I had 2 1/2 ft. of my colon removed almost 5 years ago using open surgery. Not any significant problems since then with gastro tract.

I still eat yogurt-- Stonyfield Farm(plain) and take probiotics as well as digestive enzymes -- all 3X daily.

I also take Equate psyllium twice daily. I eat fresh fruit, and a toss salad daily. And drink Kefir twice daily. All to aid digestion and help have normal BMs.

I almost never have a loose stool-- except when I eat too many grapes or a hard apple that I don't chew well.

I bought a Omega juicer but haven't used it much--- I want to get into eating/ drinking fresher veggies & fruit juices. Particularly the types that are hard to get any nutritional value out of by chewing.

Please let us know -- what your new Doctor thinks??

God Bless---Harry

Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

hi Reneta

I am having problems 4 months after my surgery I have problems from day one virtually and i keep being told it is the healing process.

I have the burning/tearing feeling near my naval area and i have been told that is the nylon mesh the surgeon used which sometimes can get caught on the insides. Also, i have loose stolls everyday, going sometimes none stop throughout the day, when i don't have loose stools, which is very rare, i start to get very bloated.

I am just waiting it out and hope everything improves.

Sharon

Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hey, Renata & Everybody Still here too going on almost 3 years since my resection and I must say that besides a pull here and there I really wouldn't have known I ever had the surgery. I still believe that this surgery improved my quality of life significantly.....it's just so nice not having any of those infections that had me on those yucky meds or in the hospital for days watching the diet and awaiting yet another colonoscopy. And it sure is nice being able to eat popcorn and an everything bagel without worrying about another diverticulitis attack!!

I am so sorry to hear that things are not working out well for you Renata...I know how much you have been through and I hate to think that you have gone through this surgery all in vain. I forgot what the surgeon told you....did he say that you had the diverticuli in one area or are you one of the ones that had them scattered throughout the colon and he took out as much as he could leaving other areas that were less bothersome??? I have heard of people having to have another resection to take care of another problem area, not common but it does happen. As a matter a fact, the nurse admitting me for my surgery trying to ease my fears told me that she had to have the surgery again!!

Anyway, I hope that is not the case with you and that this is just some readjusting of your colon after the surgery. Have you had a followup colonoscopy done??? If not, it may be time to have one just to ease your mind.

Keep us posted with how things are going. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))) ~ Goody

Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Thanks for the replies, everyone! The new doctor seems pretty good. My hope is to replace my family doctor with her, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. She is an internist, and so far, she seems professional and thorough. Being a new patient, it was mostly a lot of questions about my history, which is turning into a full length novel! Then there are blood tests, and I have an order for a CT scan, with a follow up visit in 5 weeks. We'll see! Goody, your question about where the diverticulae were, I'm not positive I remember her saying they were concentrated and removed successfully, but she did tell me not to worry about the particularly troublesome foods. And I haven't worried about them for a long time. Then I started noticing that if I ate popcorn, I would be up for hours in the middle of the night with cramping diarrhea. I finally was vomiting after eating popcorn, so I thought, no more of that!!! And I have gradually eliminated all seeds, nuts, etc., and it seems I'm having trouble tolerating fruits and vegetables even. I'm fighting for that, and not giving up so easily. I might not know anything for awhile, if things don't progress quickly. That is one good thing, I suppose. It really isn't like when I had diverticulitis before. It is a more predictable level of pain, and not as intense at its worse. (so far!)

Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsQueeZ View Post
I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for problems going on 3 months now. I've had loose stools that I can't really call diarrhea as far as frequency, but they are pretty much look like undigested food. I have a steady pain where I had the colon surgery, and it gets much worse when I add more fiber to my diet. When my bladder is full, it feels like it is pulling on the left side, which is relieved somewhat when I go. I have occasional burning feelings behind my belly button. I'm kind of worried I have some adhesions or narrowing!! I've already taken one round of Cipro and Flagyl before Christmas, which did seem to settle things down a bit. After, it was like constant diarrhea, and I took some probiotics which seemed to slow things down some. I am trying a new doctor tomorrow because I haven't been too crazy about my family doctor. If I've had diverticulitis, she will just want to give me pills for that again! I don't know if it is that again or something new. It gets so depressing!! Anyone have these kinds of problems after a fairly long period of time in peace? The first 10 months were pretty calm!!
I had a resection 3 years ago they removed all of my large bowel on my left side I had what you explain with the loose bowels mine involved bleeding of the the rectum I went back for another surgery to remove a small lesion in my rectum after a colonoscopy detected it I also had the constant pain in my left side where they removed the bowel The only thing that helped make my stools normal was a probiotic called theralac it is only ordered over the internet and has been my saving grace for all the pain i went through give it a try i tried other probiotics which helped a little but not like this one
good luck ryebeach

Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Renata,

Glad you found a doctor that you feel comfortable with. Hopefully she can help figure out what is going on. I had the same problems with popcorn causing diarrhea after my surgery. It is better but I rarely eat it.

Is your CT scan now or in a few weeks?

Hang in there.

Maggie

Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Renata,

I am glad you found a Doctor that seems to fill your needs-- I certainly hope she works out for you!! I think she is wrong about troublesome foods-- some are just difficult to digest!!
Your symptoms with popcorn sound alot like gastritis rather that lower intestinal problems.

Popcorn is not a very good food for many people that have sensitive stomachs or intestines. When the kernal pops open, the husk form sharp edges that can cut up your intestines if you don't have good muscle contactions -- it also pops open giving it alot more surface area for a carbohydrate and it raises your glucose level sorta quickly.
So, it is not something to eat that would build health anyway.

Rice is the only starch that you can eat that does not produce any gas because it is entirely digested in your small intestines -- it is easy to digest. Being from where I live -- I am a daily rice eater.

With veggies that are cooked or frozen you may need to take a digestive enzyme for proper digestion-- that goes for anything that is processes.

If I can help -- Please write ---Harry

Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
(male)

jbar47 HB User

Harry, are there any times when rice could be a bad thing for people with bowel/digestive troubles?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jbar,
I have read that there are people that have problems with rice but generally rice is a easy food to digest.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

gomer4 HB User

Renata.........
I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
It has almost been a year since my last diverticulitis flare up. At the beginning of April I had my surgery. Since then, it has been pretty uneventful--which is a blessing. An occasional twinge, but all seems to be functioning properly.

Keep searching for answers. Let us know what you find out.
Lori

Closed Thread