It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
(female)

mommazwieback HB User
Having Colonoscopy Monday morning, I have a question

OK, for those of you who have had colonoscopys, did you all do the Miralax prep. The directions I recieved said to take a whole 30 day supply of miralax in one evening along with 4 docolax. Is that normal?

Old 01-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Having Colonoscopy Monday morning, I have a question

That is what I did. I had to mix the Miralax into 64 oz. of clear gatorade or propel fitness water. I liked the Miralax prep better than the gallon of Golytly.

Plan on making friends with your bathroom for awhile. I stocked it with some new magazines and even gave myself a pedicure Once you get through the prep, the colonoscopy itself is a breeze.

Good Luck,
Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Having Colonoscopy Monday morning, I have a question

Once you get through the prep, the colonoscopy itself is a breeze.

As a "Colonoscopy Veteran"......the above is a great statement and totally true!!

Dave

Old 01-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

30 days? Can you eat normally? How do you go to work? What is left over for the body to absorb? Would you get malnutrition later?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
(female)

mommazwieback HB User

Pika, Im doing the prep for it on sunday and then the Colonoscopy on Monday, so I dont have to worry about working. I dont think I could anyways, I think I would be running to the Rest Room too much.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Pika,

The prep isn't for 30 days. You just use the whole 30 day supply at once. Mirlax is powder and is mixed with 64 oz. of clear gatorade or propel fitness water and drank every 15 minutes.

Maggie

Old 01-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Oh, thanks. Lucky my prep wasn't written like that otherwise I would take 30 days. By that time of procedure, I think I would dry out and shape like an ET! Do you think the prep can clear out the tummy bloating?

Pika

Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
(female)

Sittoo1 HB User

I'm really confused. All I had to get was this little bottle of a clear, nasty salty drink. It's just a tiny, clear bottle, but I can't remember what it's called. The instructions are to take half around 5 PM the night before, and the other half 3 hrs. before the test. No where near 64 ounces. Boy .. it really cleans you out. If you're like me, you won't get much sleep. I suggest you sleep on a towel. .

Old 01-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Different doctors use different preps--some use the gallon of Golytly, some use the Miralax, some use Fleets, some just use pills. It all depends on your doctor so follow his/her instructions.

Luckily with my preps, I was pretty well done before I went to bed but the towel is a good idea. When you've got to go, you've got to go.

Maggie

Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Tower wasn't a good idea. When I woke up after the procedure, there was a hugh bright yellowish stain on my bed! Lucky I don't have to wash that sheet!

I wore a disposable underwear. It actually is used for bladder control. I had an accident "Opps". I decided to wear it whole day and next day (procedure day)! I also used for heavy period. In case it was a too big piece of Jelly drop and the pad unable to absorb. It happened once and messed up the car seat. Don't know what to do with that? Just cover up with a car seat cover!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
(male)

paborn HB User

On the day before the procedure, my instructions say that I can have clear liquids including juice (pulp free), soda (not red) coffee (NO cream), Tea, Sports Drinks(Not Red). I can also have Jello (not red), broth and popsicles (not red). No where does it mention that Alcohol is prohibited. Does anyone know if it is OK to consume white wine or a clear alcohol such as vodka?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
(male)

paborn HB User

On the day before the procedure, my instructions say that I can have clear liquids including juice (pulp free), soda (not red) coffee (NO cream), Tea, Sports Drinks(Not Red). I can also have Jello (not red), broth and popsicles (not red). No where does it mention that Alcohol is prohibited. Does anyone know if it is OK to consume white wine or a clear alcohol such as vodka?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

I don't think it would be OK. You are having only clear liquids so nothing to eat, then you are taking medication to cleanse the bowel and the next day you are to be sedated. None of that should be mixed with alcohol.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiemoo; 02-07-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
(male)

Grehound27 HB User

I agree with maggiemoo, save the wine for celebrating your decision to have the colonoscopy and taking a step to either prolong or save your life!!

Dave

Closed Thread