It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

**jessy** HB User
Anal Fissure and Irritable Bowel

I have a chronic anal fissure which started 2-3 years ago after giving birth, I I also suffer with irritable bowel 'IBS' (diarrhoea) for 8 years. I was booked in to have surgery 2 years back but with cream the fissure healed, now the fissure has come back I am in complete agony, I can't function properly, I nearly fainted shopping last week due to the pain, I generally feel really sick. My doctor sent me to the hospital but they refused to do it because I am only 26 because of the complications, they said to keep using the cream, well that was over 6 months ago and the fissure is worse. My doctor has sent me to another doctor, so now I am going to have surgery because I cannot put up with this any longer, I am in so much pain.
My concern is my IBS and the incontinence and passing wind, I am really scared, do you have control, I have IBS and sometimes when I get diarrheoa I can only just make it to the toilet, I am fully aware that I am getting diarrheoa due to severe pains, but on some occasions I am not aware that I have diarrheoa and when I go to the toilet to pass wind I have diarrheoa.
I also go to the toilet quite often every day, between a 2 hour period I can go to the toilet up to 10 times, so I am also worried that after having the surgery it won't heal due to having to many bowel motions. I have been told from the surgeon that it can be fixed if something goes wrong but other surgeons have told me that it can't be. I am really scared, this is my life, I am really confused on what to do, some advice would be greatly appreciated also does anyone with IBS ever suffered an anal fissure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

ericollin HB User
Re: Anal Fissure and Irritable Bowel

I also am suffering from an anal fissure. I have had mine for about 2 1/2 months. I am also in complete agony. I believe that I either have lactose intolerance or IBS. I think it is the lactose intolerance because I don't have diarrhea unless I eat dairy. It is terrible to have both a fissure and diarrhea at the same time. I totally understand what you are going through. I don't wish this ailment on anybody except the stupid surgeon that performed my hemorrhoid surgery that gave me the fissure.

I figure the surgery you are talking about having is the sphincterotomy??? That surgery is one that I will only try after I have exhausted all other options.

There are other options other than the creams and that particular surgery. Have you ever thought about trying a Botox injection for your sphincter? It may give you incontinence but it is only temporary unlike the other surgery. I am thinking about having a Botox injection and then trying hyperbaric oxygen therapy to help heal the fissure. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is very time-consuming and the cost may not be covered by insurance but if the pain and spasms I have continue like they have been lately, I am willing to go broke to try it. I know another person who got 2 really bad fissures from delivering her son 3 years ago. She had the sphincterotomy and it cured 1 of her fissures straight away. Her other fissure she suffered with for 2 years until she tried the HBOT (which was her idea after she had seen 7 different rectal doctors). I don't think any doctor you see will know or think about trying the HBOT but this girl really benefitted from it. If you live in the US, there are clinics around that specialize in this therapy. Also, most hospitals have the HBOT chambers too.

These are just a couple of ideas to think about and look into. What type of cream did you use a few years ago that cured you then? Why do you think that your fissure developed again? From the diarrhea?

Healing thoughts going out to you,
ericollin

Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
(male)

lodgen HB User
Wink Re: Anal Fissure and Irritable Bowel

do the surgery,make sure its with a board certified colorectal surgen,there is a very small chance for gas or control problems. i had this surgery 34 days ago , had three hemroids removed,a fissuromentry and syncomentry.they put
a flap over my fissure it was so bad, your fissure will not heal period its chronic,it took me two years of pain to figure it out,the surgery they do
is simple make your sphincter loose and you will have a painless bowel
movement no more pain,and will say i should of done this a long time ago
my pain was from hemorrhoid surgery that is nasty to recover from i had instant
success from having bm come out easily the next day,i would do this again
because of the instant relief from it,i have no problems now from gas and
stool coming out,it last for a week or two and then goes away,i had a lot
done there so it takes a longer time. your wasting your time healing something that will come back after a bad bm,surgery is the only solution
if you have tried to heal your fissure and it aways returns.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Jessy,

This is just my 2 cents of info. I know you said you have diarhea episodes and IBS. Are you ever incontinent of normal formed stool? You may want to have your sphincter checked out before fissure surgery. After giving birth, I had a tear which caused me incontinence, and just had my sphincter repaired on January 18th. Also, Are you on a fiber supplement to help with the diarhea? When I had my incontinence, the fiber did help me a little bit. I would just hate for you to have fissure surgery without getting to the bottom of your incontinence issues. I can only offer support in that I know what it is like to have the incontinence and by bum also hurts now from having surgery. I would try to really be aware of what is causing your diarhea, maybe start a journal, and try to control the ibs first before surgery. If you control the IBS symptoms, and still are having incontinence, and your fissure is not any better, then look further into the function of your sphincter, and possible fissure and/or sphincter surgery. I wish you well--

Kelley

Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User

jjessy,

I agree with kel, since you already have incontinence from the IBS with diarrea, you should get that under control before having the sphincterotomy as incontinence is the biggest complication of that surgery. I had the LIS surgery back in August because I suffered from a chronic fissure that would heal then reopen constantly. I do not suffer from incontinence although things do flow more smoothly from my bum because of having the muscle cut, which is the purpose of the surgery, to make stool come out easier and heal the fissure. I suffer from IBS but mine is IBS with constipation. Have you tried Zelnorm? There are also a couple of other medications being used now instead of Zelnorm, which I think helps people who suffer from constipation IBS more than those who have diarrea. Fiber could be of great benefit for you, however, I am sure you know having IBS that fiber can also be the enemy. Having IBS with diarrea means you would want to up the soluble fiber and closely watch the insoluble fiber which does not absorb the liquids in your digestive tract because insoluble passes through indigested. Have you tried a fiber supplement like Citrucel? That is what I take. It is all soluble fiber and could be of a great benefit for you and your diarrea by absorbing some of that excess fluid that causes your diarrea. Hope this helps and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Closed Thread