It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #31
(female)

declansmom HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Surgery!!

Hi all,
I need all the support I can get right now. I am anxiously awaiting my surgery and I feel really scared; but excited after reading all your posts. I am excited to finally be able to excersise, have stress free sex, pick my son up without having to check myself and not have to constantly be worried about leakage. I am scared to death about having to be bed ridden and doing sitz baths again. I think the worst worry for me is so much time off work and not being in total charge of my son's routine. My husband is wonderful and such a caring person, but still....I worry.

Kelly,
Did you find that the recovery from the surgery was easier than the recovery from having your deliveries and tears? My recovery from having my son was soo horrific that I have decided to not have any more children. My son was colic and he never slept and I was trying to recover as quickly as possible. I am hoping recovery from surgery is a little better. AT least my son is two now and not screaming all the time right? I am so down and getting depressed again. I suffered with post partum depression on top of recovery, colic and no sleep. I also had the worst pregnancy you can imagine with vomitting everyday and gaining 60lbs. I am just ready to get my life on track again. I feel so awful. But like i said, i am excited after reading your posts that you feel like you have no leakage. That was really hard for me to handle.

Thanks for listening. I will definitly be on this post more. I will let you know the exact date of my surgery when they schedule it. They are supposed to call me today with the exact date.
Lisa:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #32
(female)

declansmom HB User

Kelly,
I have a quick question. When the nurse called today to schedule my surgery for the last week in March, she said a sphincteroplasty was an outpatient procedure. She said it would be around a 30 min surgery and I would be sent home the same day. How long were you in the hospital? When i was diagnosed with a sphincter defect, the Dr said it was at least 3 days in the hospital. I argued with her and she said she would need to research it and get back to me. I can't imagine it being an outpatient procedure.......am i wrong?

Lisa

Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #33
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Lisa,

Oh my gosh, no you are not wrong!! I was in the hospital for 6 days! She may be referring to a sphincterotomy, which is for an anal fissure repair---NOT the same surgery as a sphincteroplasty. I was on a morphine drip for 5 days, so I am sure yours will not be outpatient. I would re-consider your surgeon if he is planning to do this outpatient. It is probably just an honest mistake. I will write back to you tonight when I have more time and the kiddos are in bed Let me know what happens.
Kelley

Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #34
(male)

DRKJR HB User

Hello ladies, I've read your posts and am surely empathetic w/your situations. I had a severe anal fissure develop about 9 yrs ago that should have been rectified w/o any problems. However, my primary doctor misdiagnosed it as hemmorhoids, so the fissure escalated quickly - to the point where a colo-rectal surgeon could not get it to heal. Anyway, this same surgeon subsequently conducted a sphincterotomy, snipping away a part of my internal sphincter muscle. Before performing this surgery, he never mentioned that I could develop fecal incontinence. Kind of a big thing to leave out, huh? Well, sure enough it happened. The day after the surgery I had leakage. My Doctor kept telling me it would "go away," and to just give it time. Two years later it was not going away! I went to about 3 or 4 other colo-rectal surgeons and was told there was nothing that could be done. They said the internal sphinchter muscle is too thin to successfully repair. One Doctor had me to biofeedback for about two months. Talk about a waste of time. I kept asking me how it would help since biofeedback meant squeezing my "external" muscle, and not my "internal" muscle. It just didn't make sense to me. Well, I left that Doctor and found one who actually listened, and agreed that no amount of biofeedback would help my problem. That Doctor agreed to attempt a sphincteroplasty (by this time 7 yrs of incontinence had passed.) Well, the surgery lasted about twice the time the Doctor expected it to last. She told me the problem was much worse than she could tell by viewing the rectal ultrasound imaging. This surgery made a big improvement, but didn't make the problem completely go away. I still have some small amounts of leakage, and my current Doctor tells me this is due to the scarring left from the two surgeries. He says the scar tissue is stiff and not pliable and serves as some kind of passage way for leakage. Thanks to all of you for reading my little story and I hope everyone of you gets back to "normal" as soon as possible. I'll check this site reqularly in case any of you has anything to ask or say to me.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #35
(female)

DeCav12 HB User

Hello everyone,
I have the same problem you all are having. I had a 4th degree tear and had an ultrasound done which indicated a torn internal and external sphincter tear. I was hoping to hear from someone who already had this surgery and has completely recovered from it. How was your outcome and how long has it been seen surgery? I know that long term outlook is not too good but I would still like to hear from someone regardless. I am looking to have the surgery in mid July during my school break.

Thanks,
AD

Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #36
(female)

declansmom HB User

Hello ladies,
I am scheduled finally for my sphincteroplasty for March 28, 2007. I had posted earlier that the Dr's nurse called me and tried to schedule an outpatient surgery and said that my insurance would not pay for an inhospital stay. She said she would have to clear an inhospital stay with the Dr. Well, just as an FYI to all you ladies, the nurse was a @#$%! I called my insurance company myself to check on the procedure limitations and the Insurance lady assured me that my insurance is noted as unlimited hospital stay for a sphincteroplasty. The coordinator told me that it is noted an average stay for this procedure was 4 days. I will go to another colo rectal surgeon if they call me back and still say it is an outpatient procedure. I have a call into the actual Dr and not the nurses.

I am soooo nervous. I feel so anxious now that it is scheduled and i know i am driving my family nuts with all the planning and trying to make sure everythign is in order. Did any of you go through that? I just want to have a stress free recovery and i read online that the first four weeks are the most critical for the longterm healing of the sphincter muscles.

DRKJR,
what was your recovery like after your sphincteroplasty? How long were you in bed and what was the time frame like for you in regards to getting back to normal? Any advice for us?

Lisa

Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #37
(male)

DRKJR HB User

Hi Lisa, my surgery lasted about an hour- which was twice as long as planned due the unexpected severity of the problem. Anyway, I was released approximately 24 hours following the surgery. I personally had very little pain to deal with. I was provided w/morphine during my short stay in the hospital room, but didn't need to use it. I was instructed to stay off my rear for about 10 days. This meant laying on my side most of time while I was not standing. The impact of the surgery was immediate. I noticed a vast improvement the day after I got home. You'll have to take stool softeners for a few days or so. You don't want to have any really hard stools so the muscle can heal and the stitches don't come apart. It does take about a year or so for the incision to fully become scar tissue. You might be placed on a certain diet for a while to allow the scar to heal quicker. Certain foods will agitate it and delay healing. It will also cause burning and itching. You should avoid things such as caffiene, any colored beverages such as cola (this means caffiene-free coffee and cola as well), spicy foods, anything w/tomatoes in it, and beer. I avoided these things for a month, which was difficult since I love all of these things. It was worth it though. I hope this helps to better prepare you!
-DRKJR

Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #38
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

DRKJR,

I am sorry to hear all that you have gone through--Sounds like a nightmare. Your sphincteroplasty surgery was very different than mine. I was hospitalized for 6 days, with quite a bit of pain and on a morphine drip for 5 days (I also have a very high tolerance to pain and had 3 natural births with no pain medicine) I was in the OR for 3 hours for my procedure. Part of the difference may be that I also had a levatorplasty and perinealplasty at the same time. Anyway, I am glad you are improved, but it is definitly scary for me to think about the long term prognosis. My surgeon is wonderful, I really like him, and he keeps telling me that he feels like I will have many, many, many good years ahead of me. My surgery so far was a complete success. I have no problems what so ever and it feels so good. I do have a fair amount of scar tissue that has formed down the episiotomy line (basically an episiotomy was performed as part of my surgery to do the perinealplasty and levator muscle plasty. My surgery was 6 weeks ago today, and it is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I wish you continued improvement. Can you please tell me exactly how bad your leakage was prior to surgery, and how much leakage you are having now? How bad was your defect or tear? I had a 180 degree tear-basically half of the circumfrence of both the internal and ecternal muscle. My dr. said the same things about biofeedback, that it would never help my torn muscle until it was repaired. How long ago since your last surgery?? Thanks for sharing your story. We all need it.
Kel

Last edited by Kel123; 03-01-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #39
(female)

declansmom HB User

Thanks so much for sharing your stories. It sounds like everyone has a different story as to the pain and how long they were in the hospital. So it sounds like I may be released that day if all goes well. That scares the blank out of me though. I thought i had high pain tolerance, but not after i had my son. I was in labor for three days....yes i should sue my OB....so i had to have an epidural and i still expereinced tremendous pain when i delivered. So i guess i would fall in the low tolerance category. I am still so tender that I can't hardly stand an exam, it brings me to tears.

I am soo excited to hear how well you both are doing now. i can't wait to get past this surgery and feel better. I am really happy for you all.

i am sure i will be back on soon with more questions as my Dr calls me back.
Lisa

Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
(female)

ericollin HB User

DRKJR,
I live somewhat near you. I had a bad experience with a doctor that did not tell me all the possible risks of having a hemorrhoidectomy. I now have a terribly painful fissure that I know was caused by my hemorrhoid surgery. I am seeking the help of a good colorectal surgeon. I think that I have found one but want to make sure that it is not the one that you went to initially. Can you tell me the name of the doctor that did your sphincterotomy? Could you also tell me the name of your present doctor and whether you like him? Any other doctor names and whether they are good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Please I need to know. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #41
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Lisa,

Congrats on your surgery date! Sorry I did not post sooner, my family has been down with the stomach flu. (I am still praying that I don't get it, and am decontaminating my house now!) I will be here for you as you go through this. Everything is still so fresh in my mind, and I will help you every step of the way in any way that I can. I know exactly how you feel. I have 3 kids a 1 year old, 3 year old, and 5 year old so I know what it is like to "nest " and try to cover all the bases to get ready for the surgery. I was terrified to say the least about the surgery and recovery, but I made it through and was just fine, and you will too. I really tried to prepare myself mentally for the worst kind of pain, and was pleasantly suprised that while it did hurt, it was tolerable with medication. I saw my surgeon yesterday for my 6 week followup. He said everything looks great. I still have an area about the size of a dime that is healing from the inside out. He cauterized the tissue to make it fresh and heal better. He superised me by telling me he still wants me out of work for 3 more weeks until he sees me again. That will be 9 weeks post op. He said he wants everything healed up completely. He did say If it was a necessity to work, I could go, but he would rather me not. I work part time as a nurse in the NICU, and so I am not in dire need to go back, and am enjoying the time with my kids now that I am feeling better. I too had the same sex issues as you, and the fear actually came true one time. My husband has been very understanding, but I am really nervouse about resuming intimacy after this surgery. I feel great, but I have a lot of scar tissue that is really tender now, and I can't imagine having sex yet. My surgeon said not until the end of March anyway, but as it gets closer, I seem to get more nervous! To answer some of your questions, I feel great now. I felt very good at 2 weeks post op. You will probably find that you feel great, and want tp move around, and do stuff, but DON'T. I came accross someone who had the surgery and she went shopping 1 week after surgery and tore all of her stiches out. She had to have a repeat surgery because of it, and she basically had to heal up by having her wound packed 3 times a day by a home nurse for 6 weeks. There wasn't any viable skin to close. Hearing her story, made me stay quite because I did not want to have the same results. No matter how good I felt, I let everyone help me for 3 weeks. I did not go up and down stairs or anything the first 2 1/2 weeks. The tissue down there is so fragile, and like I said, you will open up anyway, so just be careful, and let everyone help you. You will do fine. I know it is scary, and I am sure everyone heals differently. I am just telling you how things went for me. I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks. Re-read some of my old posts, and If you have any additional questions, let me know. I can't say enough positive things about my surgery. I feel great and have NO leakage issues anymore. I am very careful about eating a very high fiber diet now. The prior post said no caffeine, or coffee. My surgeon said that was fine. I actually take my morning fiber in my coffee, and that is what makes my first stool of the day very soft and perfect There is no way I could give up coffee! My surgeon was adamatly against stool softeners, and I have never needed them. Make sure you have a hand held shower head For your recovery. It was a lifesaver for me. You probably won't be able to wipe, so it is great to wash off with. I also would have milk of magnesium on hand in case you get a little bound up. It happened to me 3 times during weeks 2-3 when I started eating more and my body was getting rolling. The narcotic meds bind you up a little also. I found the milk of mag to be very effective in producing a BM without any cramping, or massive diarreha. My dr. actually made me take it to induce a BM on day 9 after surgery. Good luck, Please keep us all updated as you can. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. This is the beginning of a much improved life for you.

Kelley

Last edited by Kel123; 03-01-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #42
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

AD,

Sorry, you too are going through this. If you read back a little, you will see that I had surgery 6 weeks ago and I am doing great! I am still also looking for more people to share their long term success stories. I also read all the negative long term results on the net, but my surgeon was much more optimistic than that. I had a very severe tear with unilateral nerve damage, and an almost non-existant perinal wall and pelvic floor. I have no leakage issues at all now at 6 weeks. This is great news for me since I wasn't sure that 100% improvement was possible with the nerve damage. I am more than pleased with my results. When I was considering the surgery, I told myself that If I could have even a little bit of improvement, and if it would last even 5 years, that it would be worthwile for me. I had leakage problems almost everyday. They consisted of a little smearing causing wiping and irritation all day, to full blown BM's leaking out. I also could not hold gas in. The only issue I have now, is the gas leaking and it seems to be getting better. It is almost comical in my house now. I am seeing slight improvment. The main issue is that it is very loud. I am working very hard at controlling it, and I think it is better. It is probably more due to all the fiber I eat to keep my stools soft. I think the more my body gets used to the fiber, the better the gas issue seems. Even If I have the continued gas problem in the future, I am still thrilled with the no leaking issue, and can deal with it. I will definitly keep everyone posted on how things are going for me, and will check up often to check on everyone. Good luck.

Kelley

Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #43
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Ericollin,

How are you doing?? I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope things are going well for you. How is your fissure now? Are you considering the surgery? I wanted to tell you that I did take your advice initially and paid the $30 to research my colo-rectal surgeon. It was worth it to me. I really have been pleased with him. Another thing that I did, was open up completely to his nurse. I asked a lot of point blake questions like..Would you have this dr. perform surgery on you? What are his success rates? What is the worst thing or complication you have seen from this dr. If you are honest with them, they are usually honest with you. Trust me, I am one. (a nurse) I won't volunteer negative information unless it is impacting my patients, but if asked, I will not lie or be untruthful to anyone. Good luck, Hope to hear back from you.
Kelley

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #44
(female)

DeCav12 HB User

Good to hear your success stories. My problems aren't so bad it seems. I probably have leakage about three or four times a week. I am able to control gas the majority of the time. I am surprised that i don't have worse problems since both spchincters are torn. My doctor is pretty optimistic and has given me a high percentage for improvement. I had gone to see an OB/GYN about this initially and his odds were 50/50 for me. I am now seeing a specialist and I have no choice but to have the surgery because of the extent of the damage. I hope you all do well and hope to hear more success stories. If I had known that I would have torn,I would have opted for a C-section. I don't know why the doctors don't warn you about the possible complications and their possible outcome. At least mine didn't warn me about this. If I had known, I would have definitely had a c-section. The OB/GYN who saw me initially when I started to have BM problems told me, that my perineum is really short (too close to the vagina) and my doctor should have anticipated this could have happened.

Good luck to all of you.
AD

Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #45
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

AD,

I too, wish I knew that having vaginal deliveries could cause all these problems. I am glad you are looking to get this fixed. Any leakage at all is a problem and can be devastating. I know for me, when I was pregnant with my 2nd, and 3rd children, I kept saying I was having problems because I was pregnant. Then after I had them, I was convinced it was because I just gave birth. It took a long time for me to get over my denial that there was a problem and bring it up to my obgyn. My ob actually wanted to do the surgery, and I opted for a second opinion from a colo-rectal surgeon and decided to have the surgery done by him. I am glad I did. Good luck to you also, Check back and let us know how you are doing. Thanks for telling your story so more woman know that they are not alone in this.

Kelley

Closed Thread