It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #1

buzz_saw HB User
Fiber during a Fissure Tear

In the last year I had a Colonsocopy (sp) done due to alot of anal pain and bleeding - why ? I have no idea.

The doctor found a fissure and suggested a high fiber diet.

Which I did for 4 months, supplements, fruits, veggies, whole grain, etc.

And then I got the "runs". And I think I got the fissure "going" again.

Anyways, I was trying to find an old post on the difference of the insoluable and soluable fiber, but it is not a sticky.

I am having tons of BM a day and it is making my fissure kill. Do I stop or switch types of fibers?!

Doctor got me back on the otiments, but it hurts to sit and a BM is down right out of this world - back to ribbon stools (which I am looking for the sticky fiber post on what type I need to correct) and blood and pain.

Also, I "Google" - foods to avoid with fissure and I am MORE confused. Doctor says to eat anything, and more fiber - which I am not sure. But others eat nuts, avoid nuts, eat apples, avoid apple peels. I got sunflower seeds, I got broccoli, I got anything and I am afraid I am making it worse !

Bless us all.

Last edited by buzz_saw; 01-25-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User
Re: Fiber during a Fissure Tear

buzz,

Whatever you do, do not stop the fiber. Your body requires both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber dissolves in water to create softer, bulkier bm's and insoluble fiber is what a lot of people refer to as roughage. It passes through the body virtually unchanged. Apples, for example, are both soluble and insoluble. The inside of the apple is soluble and the skin is insoluble which means your digestive system will not breakdown the peel, it will pass pretty much unchanged, like corn. The insoluble fiber works like a brush to sweep through the colon and grab all the goop so you can pass it from your body. I was also told my my colon doctor to eat anything I wanted but to avoid foods that would irritate the fissure such as nuts, apple peels, corn, tortilla chips, etc. Because they are insoluble and not broke down by the digestive tract they can further irritate your fissure by scraping over it while you are trying to pass stool. It is hard to tell you exactly how much of each fiber to get as everyone's needs are different. I, too, experienced the runs when I first started the high fiber diet. I take Citrucel as my supplement, twice a day, two around breakfast time and another two around dinner time. Make sure to drink plenty of water while taking a supplement so as to not constipate yourself. I drink approximately 100 to 112 ounces of water a day as I have found that this is the balance for me. Beverages with caffeine do not count as caffeine dehydrates the body. Citrucel is a soluble fiber supplement that does not cause gas and bloating which I suffered from tremendously when I was taking Metamucil. My colon doctor only recommends Citrucel so you might want to give it a try. I get the remainder of my fiber through diet. I start the day out with a breakfast cereal or breakfast bar that contains no less than 5 grams of fiber. The rest of the day I make sure to eat plenty of whole grains such as breads, bagels and snack bars. I also eat fruits and vegetables as well as beans and I only eat whole grain pastas. It sounds like you are not eating enough fiber to absorb all the fluid you are taking in therefore creating the loose stools. You need to eat enough fiber to absorb the fluid without absorbing too much of the fluids which can dry your stools out and that you don't want. As I said earlier, there is no set amount of fiber anyone can advise you to eat as everyone is different. You need to try experimenting by adding more , slowly and see what works for you. Keep in mind, that it takes time for the body to adjust to fiber increases so don't get discouraged after a day or two and quit. Keep going until you find what amounts work for you. It is recommended that you get 25-30 grams of fiber per day and some even suggest up to 35 grams per day. So use that as a guideline and, yes, you will have to become a label reader to determine the amount of fiber you are taking in when you eat. Do you mind my asking how long you have had your fissure? I caved in and had surgery for mine back in August and am so glad that I did. Take care and if you have any more questions I will do my best to try and answer for you. All I have is my experience to share but if only one piece of info I post helps just one person then I am happy to do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread