HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Constipated: Please help! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/466589-constipated-please-help.html)

CoyoteBound 01-28-2007 09:17 AM

Constipated: Please help!

Several weeks back I was very sick and didn't have a clue as to what was wrong with me. I knew that I had not been having a good bowel movement. I felt so sick that I went to my Doctor and described to her how I felt and I was at the point that I was so sick at my stomach that I was throwing up so I knew something was wrong. The Doctor listened to my stomach with her stethascope and then ordered a x-ray! Well the x-ray came back and the Doctor said that I was so constipated and she shoewed me on the x-ray how it was flowing out. I was just so sick I couldn't hardly hold my head up and had been in the bed for 2 days before I broke down and went to the Doctor with this. She told me to go to the Pharmacy and she had wrote it down on her pad what to get. i had to get a bottle, (i can't remember the name of it but the bottle was green and it had the name magnesium in it." I had to drink that and also do a fleet enema and she wrote a prescription for phergen. You talking about sick after drinking this bottle of stuff and taking the enema I thought I was gonna die. But it cleaned me out pretty good and I have been constipated a couple of times since and I am sceared to death that I am gonna get back in the same shape I was in. I have been taking some Milk-of0Magnesia once a week lately but I am constipated again. Can anyone suggest anything I can buy that might help me get straightened out? She mentioned stool softners to me which I forgot about and didn't get. Could some one tell me something good to buy that might help me with this. I am so afraid of getting back like I was and don't want that to happen to me. Thanks for any help in advance!

Jan:)

KNAYAK 02-02-2007 07:18 AM

Re: Constipated: Please help!

Constipation is caused by a mind which cannot relax - apart from too little water consumption and diet lacking in fiber. In my case I found that "EARL GREY TEA" without milk had thrice a day helps in lessening constipation to a large extent. One should not eat/drink anything one hour before having this tea AND also for one hour after having this Tea.

Catherine83 02-02-2007 08:10 AM

You poor thing! I know how you feel though. I've been dealing with constipation over the past year and it's terrible to have to go through. Honestly, I stress out about it too much and that has been a big problem. There were days that I would wake up and worry that I wouldn't be able to go that day. Stress can keep your constipated. So, with that said, try to relax and think positive. Here's what I have done and it really has helped me. The key is a good diet. You need to drink plently of water for starters. They recommend drinking at least 8 - 8oz. glasses per day. This has been the hardest part for me because I'm not that big on water. However, it really flushes out your body and will help stool pass. I tried stool softeners and finally had to stop taking them. They are "safe to take every day" BUT I got to where I couldn't go at all unless I took 2 of them a day. You don't want to do that to your body. Try to go the natural way if at all possible. You don't want to get your body where you have to depend on taking medication in order to go. Also, be sure and eat lots of foods that are rich in fiber. They have a lot of tasty things out there now that you can snack on. Kashi is a great brand to look into. They have these snack bars that are chocolate and cherry, honey, etc. that are very high in fiber and really taste yummy. Eat lots of fruit, apples, bananans, oranges, papayas, melons, prunes, etc. Also, try to get in some whole wheat and grains through oatmeal, cereal, breads. Also, I tried going to a health food store and purchasing some Flax Seed. If you grind that up and sprinkle it on your food it is great for you and helps the bowel moving. Vegetables are also wonderful. Brocolli, sweet potatoes, cabbage, dried beans, spinach all help promote bowel movements.

Please try some of these things. I was to the point where I could go 14 days without going and I didn't even feel the urge to go at all. It makes you feel terrible all over..you know that. I tried simply eating better and light walking and I was going 2 times a day. So, please keep these things in mind before trying medications. If this doesn't work then by all means do something that will work for you. I personally would stay away from laxative and stool softeners. My doctor told me that the softeners were safe to take every day but I soon found that I got dependent on them. You could also try taking Metamucil capsules. They are 100% natural psyllium fiber and are safe to take daily. You can get the 100 count bottle for about $7-$10 and they will last forever.

Good luck with everything...and remember...RELAX ~ Catherine

Trixibel 02-11-2007 05:29 PM

I agree with everything the previous poster said. I think constipation is stress related.

Lots of water, fruit (especially pears), baked beans...

Are you sure you don't have a milk allergy? Things really improved for me after I changed to soy milk.

Harry 02-11-2007 10:39 PM

CoyoteBound,

This problem keeps coming up.
I wrote a POST on the Sticky Thread in "Information Archive" at the top of this page-- about Normal BMs-- it is the last post.

I think you should read it.
You basically have to change your diet and drink more water.

I wish you well---Harry

CoyoteBound 02-12-2007 09:48 AM

Thanks to all of you! I don't hardly drink water, so that maybe the problem. I will start drinking plenty of water and eating right because I am so tired of this.

Thanks,
Jan