It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
why would they offer a colonoscopy?

I had my bowel resection last spetember ( small bowel resection with some large bowel removed) Anyway since i have had nothing but problems. Constant loose stools, everything i eat is coming straight through me within 30 minutes.

The hospital will not say whether i am in remission yet due to symptoms i am getting. They are unsure whether it is the crohn's still or some other problem going on.

I was offered a colonoscopy yesterday, and i refused down to the basis of fear of the unknown. Anyway, i am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why they offered me a colonoscopy? My crohn's was badly active in my small intestine not in my large bowel.

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

Thank you all

Last edited by Sharon76; 01-31-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: why would they offer a colonoscopy?

hey sharon,

after i had a rescetion i was to have a colonoscopy every year after until they were confident that i was in remission.. i think just because it can flare up anywhere.. how much of the small bowel did they take out? i was told that if it comes back it often comes back close to the resected part.. perhaps that is close to the large bowel? im nto real sure why they do it, but i no i had it in the small bowel but they wanted to do the colonoscopys yearly.. seemed odd to be too when it was the other test (cant remembe rwhat it was called) the one with the tube up ya nose and down ya throat that gave it them the divinitive answer.. perhaps ring and ask them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Crohn's is often found at the point where the small intestine and large colon connect. If they resect that area, they remove the iliosecal valve. The valve is what holds your stool until it should be moved to the colon. You may have had the valve removed (I did) and that's why you have continually loose stools.

I had my last resection 20 years ago, and believe me it does get better. Even without the valve, I now have normal stools - one in the morning and one in the evening. I can live with that.

As for the colonoscopy, I'm of the opinion that they're a good thing and if your doctor says you should have one, then I'd jump on it. I have one every five years - as long as insurance covers it I say why not?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

joyous19 HB User

Why not a colonoscopy? You want to make sure you cover all the bases and this couldn't hurt. I don't know much about Crohn's but I have had a lot of experience with intestinal issues and I'm here to tell you, you just never know! It never hurts to be thorough. If there happens to be something going on with your colon, then it would be best to catch it as early as possible. If there's not, well then, at least you know for sure!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Nikki

I had 3.5 feet of my small bowel removed. It was called a ileocaceal resection. I had my valve removed also.

All of my crohn's was evident in my small bowel, and none in my large bowel. This is why i can't understand it.

I understand where you are all coming from, saying that maybe it is best to have it done, but i just feel unsure at the moment of having it done. I don't know why, just feel really edgy about it.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
(female)

NicaM HB User

Hi,

As a chrons patient myself I understand. Chrons can skip around in the gastro tract. It can go anywhere from mouth to anus. If you are continuing to have chrons like symptoms there is a possibility it has moved to your colon, Causing the syptoms you are having. They generally also do a biopsy to check for cancer. As chrons patients are at a higher risk for colon cancer.

A colonoscopy is really not that bad of a procedure. Its uncomfortable the day before being on a liquid diet and cleaning out your system. They do put you into a twilight sleep for the actual procedure.

So for peace of mind, I would just do it to make sure there is nothing going on in your colon.

NicaM

Closed Thread