It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User
just a little blood

lately my BMs have been hard and "sharp" i guess for lack of a better word, and then when i wipe theres just a little bit of bright blood. could it just be because the fecal matter is hard and its irritating to get out? this has never really happened before. Should I be concerned?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Re: just a little blood

Hello - You will find that a lot of people have experienced this at least once in their life. It could be from hard dry stool or if you strained a little. The tissue on the inside of the anus is very sensitive (much like the skin inside of your mouth) and sometimes you can tear or cut it easily if you have dry hard stool or you strain from constipation. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting lots of fiber in your diet. When I had this happen to me I started drinking 8 - 8oz. glasses of water a day and made sure I ate plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. That should do the trick. You might find that you will bleed alittle more over the next few days before it heals. It should go away but if it keeps up for a week or more then you might look into getting it checked out at the doctor. Good luck - Catherine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
(female)

purpleladyfish HB User

sog,

It sounds like you could have what is called an anal fissure. It's a tear in the lining of the anus. Fissures happen when you pass large, dry stools that overstretch your opening or strain a lot to have a bm. Do you mind my asking if you are constipated? I recently suffered a fissure and they can he hell. You should be drinking plenty of fluids daily, I drink 110 ounces of water per day. ANything with caffeine in it doesn't count toward your daily fluid intake, caffeine dehydrates. Also, eating lots of fiber such as veggies and fruits,whole wheats and grains. There are also fiber supplements you can take. Citrucel, Metamucil, etc. are fiber supplements you take daily. They help to keep your stool soft and in maintaining regularity if you suffer from constipation. Go easy on the fiber at first and slowly introduce it into your diet. Fiber can cause gas & bloating so if you gradually put it in your diet your body adjusts to it accordingly. I take Citrucel twice a day. It doesn't cause gas or bloating, at least it never has for me. Other brands of fiber work well too. Find what works best for you and make sure to drink plenty of fluids with fiber. Fiber absorbs the fluids in your digestive tract to create soft bulky stools that pass easily without having to strain. What works for one person might not work for you or another. Everyones situation is different yet we all suffer the same thing. How ironic? Sitz baths also help tremendously. You can purchase one at your local pharmacy for about $10 - $12. This is a basin that sits right on your toilet. You fill it with warm water and soak your bottom for about 20 minutes 3-4 times a day. Especially after having a bm. These help to keep the area clean as well as relax the anal muscle. It also helps to circulate blood to the area to help heal the fissure. If your still experiencing pain and bleeding you should see a colon/rectal doctor. Most fissures heal within a couple weeks through diet and fiber and increasing your fluid intake. Some don't. Be patient, these don't heal overnight.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User

Thanks for the replies. I actually noticed that this started happening after I stopped drinking lots of water regularly. I normally drink a ton and I just stopped carrying it with me and drinking it all the time. I'll try that with some fiber and fruits/veggies and see how I do. Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
(female)

smithsgirl07 HB User

I wasn't for sure how to post a bulletin so I hit reply to this one. Anyways, I'm 23 years old female. Yesterday I had a bm and noticed some blood on the toilet paper. I got scared so I called the doctor to make an appointment. My bottom has been itching off and on and I'm usually constipated for a day or two, then I'll have a bm and its hard which causes it to bleed, and the stools are hard. I went to the doctor today, and she done an exam, she told me she wasn't for sure if it was internal hemmoroids or if it was bleeding from constipation and having to strain. She wants me to have a colonoscopy done asap. they checked my iron and she said it was excellent. I do have a poor diet, I weigh 111lbs. My husband travels so I usually throw a microwave dinner on to eat. I'm very upset and scared and afraid of what is wrong. Should I be so scared? I bought some stool softeners to try that, the dr. told me too. Any ideas on whats going on and what I can do, and if I should have the colonoscopy done? Thanks

Closed Thread