It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User
Food allergy test for alot of stool movements?

My stools have never been right as far back as i can remember, and im only in my mid 20's. Ill usually go 2-3 times a day and they are never usually solid (sorry to sound so disgusting but i guess this is what the forum is for.) Sometimes there is blood on the toilet paper. Do you think getn some sort of food allergy test done might help see if its anything in particular that is causing this? If so how do u go about getting one down? Im in the UK.

Thanks very much in advance

Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Food allergy test for alot of stool movements?

I think anytime there is blood in or on your stool or toilet paper -- you need to get it checked out.

I have never heard that any food allergies causes rectal bleeding.

Last edited by Harry; 02-06-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tired-of-it-all HB User

best bet if it continues go to the doctor but could be hemmeroids.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

You probably should be tested for celiac disease. This is not a food allergy but an autoimmune disorder related to wheat/gluten. You can get blood tests for this and they can also test for it by giving you an upper endoscopy.

While blood in the stool should always be reported, I can tell you from personal experience that lots of very soft bowel movements irritate the skin around the rectal area and you can bleed with every movement.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
(male)

baldy_1812 HB User

surely if i was allergic to wheat it would effect more than my stools no?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Baldy,

Celiac disease is not the same as wheat allergy. There are 2 different, distinct immunological reactions that differentiate between the two diseases.

Celiac has 3 basic patterns of presentation: classic, atypical, and silent.Many people have an atypical pattern -- some type of digestive weirdity (even constipation), but not the classic signs of weight loss, pain, and fatigue accompanying unremitting diarrhea. Other celiacs have no obvious symptoms at all, but carry the same risk of acquiring nutrient deficiencies, additional autoimmune diseases, and nasty cancers as those with the classic presentation. It is a good thing to be tested for CD & have that ruled out.

The rectal bleeding may or may not be related to the diarrhea.

In the USA, gastroenterologists are the docs who test for celiac disease.

True IgE based food allergy can usually be detected by standard testing done by an allergist/immunologist.

There are other food allergy tests that are not well-received by the medical community at large, but which nonetheless have been helpful to many people. Off the top of my head, you might see if York Nutrtion Labs has a UK presence.

Perhaps a registered Dietician or nutritionist could direct you to local resources.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread