It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Question???

I have had Diverticulitis at least 10 times in the last 17 years. My first time was real bad! Thought that I was going to die, and think that I may have prayed for death. The bowel spasms were the worst...

I went for years without another flare up, but in the past few years it's been more and more. I have had two in the past 6-8 months.....Having one now.

My question is.....How many times do you have to have flare ups before they do surgery. Or do they just wait till there is a perforation. My Dr. just calls in Flagyl, Levaquin, and will suggest that i have a CT. Which I declined this time. Just sick of them, and this.....

Thank,

Sid

Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Question???

Most doctors have a three strike and you're out guideline. Three episodes and it it time to talk surgery. I'd say you are overdue for a referral to a surgeon.

They do not wait for a perforation because a perforation is quite serious and you can die from it--to be blunt. With a perforation you almost always end up with a temporary colostomy. With a scheduled resection they are usually able to take out the affected part and put the ends back together avoiding the temporary colostomy. This is because you are able to do a bowel prep--like you do for a colonoscopy.

NEVER, NEVER decline a CT scan when you are having a flare-up. That is how a perforation is found. During my first episode of diverticulitis the doctor was sending me for a CT scan and I asked him why I needed it if he thought it was diverticulitis. Just give me the meds", I said. He explained I could have a perforation or abcess. I reluctantly went for it and was quite shocked to get a phone call from the doctor saying I had a perforation and had to go be admitted to the hospital. I was very, very lucky as my perforation was caught early, it was very small and I had a wonderful surgeon who was not knife happy. I got by with IV antibiotics but I did have a resection done about 2 months later. I was at high risk for perforating again and I didn't want that to happen. You never know when or where you'll be when it happens. I also valued my life and really didn't want to take the chance.

Sounds like it is time to call your doctor and have a chat with him.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Dear Maggie,

Thanks for the response. My Dr has recommended every time I have had a flare up to have a CT. This is the first time I have been Non Compliant. As I stated I am just sick of this, sick of Flagyl and Levaquin, and sick of the CTs. I know that you know how I feel..... It's such a lovely condition. NOT!!!!

It may be time for a talk with her about a surgeon... I have to call tomorrow to check in with her on how I am feeling. Feel like I have been eating toast, rice, bananas, and plain YUCK. Feel like I have been house bound for the last 4 days... I know I am WHINNYING!!!!!!

Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.......

Sid

Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

Mommy-Lisa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2013 View Post
I My question is.....How many times do you have to have flare ups before they do surgery. Or do they just wait till there is a perforation. My Dr. just calls in Flagyl, Levaquin, and will suggest that i have a CT. Which I declined this time. Just sick of them, and this.....

Thank,

Sid
Please don't wait for a perforation, ask your doctor for a surgical referral.

My dad had a perforation several years ago, became septic and nearly died. He knew he was having a flare up, and was on an antibiotic and pain meds. After several days, he finally went to the ER (only because it was late at night and he ran out of pain meds) where they admitted him. They didn't diagnose the perforation or operate until the next day. His surgeon told us later he fully expected my father to die that night after surgery. There is a small window of opportunity where surgery will save the patient and he thought he had missed it.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Sid,

Whine away here--we do understand. I think that almost everyone here feels the surgery was worth it. Be sure to tell your doctor how you are feeling emotionally about it; that you really are ready to talk about it.

Let us know what you find out.

Maggie

Old 02-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Thanks so much for everything..... I will talk to my Dr later today and see what we can come up with...

Sid

Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Quote:
Thanks so much for everything..... I will talk to my Dr later today and see what we can come up with...
So what happened at the appointment?

It's usually patients younger than 50 that receive more aggressive treatment because it seems that younger patients may be at a higher risk for recurrent attacks and complications, but you've already had plenty of trouble.

Your health is so important. You're young. Take care of yourself.

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and have had precancerous colon polyps and plenty of other colon fun. My family history is not favorable with regard to this issue. I know colon problems are not only serious, they're often unbearably painful. I was rushed to the ER after not being able to get off the floor without passing out at the local rest area. I'm bloated every day and get random spasms that feel like there's an exploding brick in my abdomen.

I care so much about your health. You should care, too. I know you're sick and tired of the trouble, but it's not fair for you to suffer if there's relief available.

Let me know how it went with the doctor.

I love you!

Nikki

Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Dear Nikki,

Honesty is the best policy.....I didn't call her back!! It's that old,"I am feeling better, so why bother routine." I KNOW DUMB!!!!!!!!!

I promise I will put in a call the first of the month. I have to many things going on right now... I PROMISE!!!! The first of March!

Love you to hon.

Sid

Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Quote:
Honesty is the best policy.....I didn't call her back!! It's that old,"I am feeling better, so why bother routine." I KNOW DUMB!!!....I promise I will put in a call the first of the month. I have to many things going on right now... I PROMISE!!!! The first of March!
I appreciate your honesty. You don't owe me any explanations, so I'm grateful that you can tell I care.

Dang it, Sid, if I fuss at you I know you won't see this until Tuesday.

Here goes anyway.

March is quite far. Lots can happen in hours. Waiting that many days is risky. Whatever procedure that will be most effective will be much less invasive if you get help before perforation or some other complication.

Why shouldn't I cancel my pelvic exam Feb. 19? What's the harm in waiting? I don't feel like I've got any pressing issues that need to be addressed by a gynecologist.

This is your business. I'm not a nosy person and I hate to pry. But I really do care about you and your health. You've given me every reason in the world to fight my fears. Fight yours.

Please know that my words come from love, concern and worry. I love you very much.

Nikki

Last edited by hergy; 02-11-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Nikki,

I am on antibiotics, the pain is gone the crisis is over.....BUT if you cancel your appointment I think I will hunt you down and use that lovely Red, Louisville Slugger BAT on you!!!!!!!! Got it girlfriend?????

I am fine, and you will go to your appointment!!!!! END OF SUBJECT!!!!!

Love you bunches...

Sid

Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Quote:
I am on antibiotics, the pain is gone the crisis is over.....BUT if you cancel your appointment I think I will hunt you down and use that lovely Red, Louisville Slugger BAT on you!!!!!!!! Got it girlfriend?????...I am fine, and you will go to your appointment!!!!! END OF SUBJECT!!!!!
Was that a tone? Maybe I'm not supposed to ask a cyber mom that question, I'll have to recheck the manual.

I'm glad you're doing better and that you're on antibiotics. I want you to be ok.

This close to my appointment, I feel like I'm going to vomit when I think about it.

Hey, where is that bat anyway?

Love ya!

Nikki

Closed Thread