It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User
Colonoscopy on Feb. 23rd...SCARED!!

after 6 months of lower abdominal discomfort and rectail discomfort that both come and go my dr. and i decided the last step is a colonoscopy...i had an upper endoscopy in sept and the test was a breeze...will the colonoscopy be the same way except for the preparation?? does anyone know what could be causing these symptoms for so long? i have no weight loss and i have had a streak of blood on the tp just two times...i just started working out on the treadmill last week and it seems like my rectal discomfort has gotten a little worse...can anyone help????? im scared!!

Last edited by jrb112476; 02-08-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: misspell

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy on Feb. 23rd...SCARED!!

Most people ive read on here have found the worst part of a colonoscopy to be the prep so you will probably be fine, however i suggest you ask about sedation and if they are sure you will respond to the injection... I had an awful experiance with that test in that i didnt respond to the medication they used to sedate so thru the procedure i was alert and felt every move they made, it was extreamly painful, keept telling me to keep still which is very hard (but important) when somone is pokin something up your butt! I later asked why i wasnt sedated and they said some people dont respond but they couldnt up the dosage because they would need an anethitist for that.. Im not trying to scare you, as i said most pple are fine and you will probably be too but there is no harm in clariftying with the doc that You will be sedated and not feel anyhting aye? good luck and i hope they find something that helps you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Colonoscopy on Feb. 23rd...SCARED!!

i had an upper endoscopy in sept and the test was a breeze...will the colonoscopy be the same way except for the preparation??

Your first question is an easy one.....YES! The prep is by far the worst part of a colonoscopy but you'll make it. Many hints on this board for making it easier. The second question on what might be wrong....that's where the C comes in...sounds like 'roids to me but a C will determine that and rule out other problems. In the event something is found in your colon, this can be handled right then & there, in most cases.

Hope this helps some and keep us posted. You'll do fine!

Dave

Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Thank you all for responding!! It really makes me feel better hearing other people that have been through it tell me about it....yes, i will be under the same sedation he gave me when i had my upper and i was completely out (at least i think i was..lol) during that test....its the same dr. and he is great, so he told me i wouldnt feel a thing....nikki, why did you feel so much pain? i was under the impression that the colon has no nerve endings, so the worse part, if you werent under sedation, would be getting the tube through the rectum...i might be wrong, but thats what i heard...i will let all of you know how it goes and thanks again!!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

im glad u got the same doc and that he has assured you, you'll feel no pain, that is great .. Im not sure why it was so painful for me, im not sure about the colon having no nerve endings all i know is it was very painful, perhaps it was when they took the biopsys that it hurt? or perhpas it hurt because of the chrohns they found i had, im not sure but i have refused that test ever since, if i ever really need another ill be making sure they get an anethitist down ..

I think you will be fine jrb, please keep us posted on your results and take care

Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Thank You nikki!!

Last edited by moderator4; 02-14-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
(female)

NCkelliegirl HB User

I had my first colonoscopy done a week ago, and I was worried about it too. It was a BREEZE!! The prep the night before was a chore, and I'm not fond on chugging anything, so it worked me a bit, but it did its job too. I know you will do GREAT!! Its so worth the answers you may get on the other side.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; He is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
- Psalm 18:2

Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

jrb,

I went to my Doctor today and it was the first visit for him to set up the Colonoscopy for me. But he is also checking the stomach while he is in there. He told me that the Prep was the worst part and that I wouldn't feel a thing while he is doing his job. Hope this gives you some comfort!

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

thanks to all of yall....i know the test wont be bad, but as usual, im worried about the outcome...i hope nothing serious is going on...i just have been having problems that come and go for about 8 months now and my dr. wants to check it out...there has been no blood or anything, so hopefully its not serious

Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

also, one more question, i had an abdominal/pelvic ct scan done a few months ago and the dr. seems to think that any major problems would have shown up on it, but it didnt show anything...does anyone know how good ct scans are?

Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
(female)

ktbird HB User

I've had 3 colonoscopies and as others have said the prep was the worse part. Now I have done it a few times, i have a routine. I'll drink the stuff and once I am sitting on the toilet for long periods of time, i have my laptop and lots of reading material beforehand. I also recommend not eating heavy things a few days in advanced. I ate lots of soft foods and I think that helped make the process of the prep easier and little faster. The test itself was a breeze!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

jrb,

Well did you have the Colonoscopy done? And if so, was it bad or was it just getting the Prep done? I am already dreading this and the Doctor told me that the Prep is the worst thing that I would not feel a thing. Could you give me some input as to what you wen threw?Thanks,
Jan

Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbird View Post
I've had 3 colonoscopies and as others have said the prep was the worse part. Now I have done it a few times, i have a routine. I'll drink the stuff and once I am sitting on the toilet for long periods of time, i have my laptop and lots of reading material beforehand. I also recommend not eating heavy things a few days in advanced. I ate lots of soft foods and I think that helped make the process of the prep easier and little faster. The test itself was a breeze!
Thanks for the info ktbird!! I started myself on a "just soup" diet yesterday with a few crackers. I figure I would eat soup Mon.-Wed. and it would help with the prep this thursday. I have to start the prep at 3:00 on Thursday. When do you think I will be done with the prep? Does it take like 4 hrs? Thanks for all of your help!!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

jrb112476 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteBound View Post
jrb,

Well did you have the Colonoscopy done? And if so, was it bad or was it just getting the Prep done? I am already dreading this and the Doctor told me that the Prep is the worst thing that I would not feel a thing. Could you give me some input as to what you wen threw?Thanks,
Jan

I havent had it yet Jan....Everyone I have talked to said the prep was the worst part, so I will be going through that this Thursday. I went and picked up my delicious solution yesterday from the pharmacy..lol...I just hope im completely out for the procedure and I dont feel them sticking that tube up my butt. I had an upper gi a few months ago and was completely out. I have the same dr. doing the colonoscopy and I told him PLEASE give me the same drugs!! He laughed and said he would. My biggest fear, like probably everyone, is the results after the test. Im trying to be positive and trying not to think of bad things. I was afraid of the results of my upper and ended up just having GERD and gastritis. My main symptoms are abdominal discomfort off and on and a lot of gas. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Its been going on for 8 monts now. I will let you know about the test and the prep after its all done Jan. I will do my best to comfort you!!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
(female)

Just Jan HB User

I've had several and they aren't bad at all. They put you to sleep and there's no discomfort when you wake up. You can go home afterwards and an hour later you can even eat . Don't worry, it will be fine.

Closed Thread