It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
(male)

cwax HB User
Severe Constipation; No Source?

Hi I posted this in the wrong section... sorry for my head being in the clouds..

I have a question, that hopefully someone with a similar experience can lend some help to.

I have never been constipated before in my life.. until recently when it (severely) came out of nowhere. Symptoms include (other than not passing stool), huge discomfort at all times, pain when passing, very thin, small amounts of stool when passing if at all and left with a feeling like "it's not all done".

Visited the doctor.. Did platelets, thyroid, x-ray, ultrasound, etc. All that was confirmed was an unusually large amount of stool in large intestine, as well as low platelet count 125000 (but this is hereditary and therefore apparently normal). He concluded that it's "nothing serious"... Doctor recommended visiting him again in 3 weeks if things didn't get better... although the problem has persisted already for 3 weeks and I am beginning to worry--nevermind getting really sick of this. I feel that it is serious, since it is not going away and worsening.

The stimulant Senokot seems to work well but I am worried about become dependant on it (going on week 3 now). If I don't take it.. BM's are uncommon, and the discomfort is painful.

My diet has always been good--I don't eat junk food and I do get enough fibre--although now after my doctor's advice I am also taking metamucil. I do exercise and drink adequate amounts of water.

Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate it.

Last edited by cwax; 02-11-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
(male)

KNAYAK HB User
Re: Severe Constipation; No Source?

Constipation is caused by a mind which cannot relax - apart from too little water consumption and diet lacking in fiber. You have mentioned that you drink adequate water and your fiber intake is normal. Therefore you should try something to relax your mind like meditation, yoga or anything else that relaxes your mind. I also had the same problem when my water intake and fiber was not only adequate but far above average. In my case conscious efforts not to worry and relax my mind did help. I am sure it will help you too - I wish you all the best.

I found that "EARL GREY TEA" without milk had thrice a day helps in lessening constipation to a large extent. One should not eat/drink anything one hour before having this tea AND also for one hour after having this Tea.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

AppleCore HB User

i had a similar problem about a year ago and it drove me crazy because it made it difficult for me to go to school constipated and the doc couldn't find out what was wrong until months later when he did an endoscopy on me and found out i had H.pylori. I'm not saying that you necessarily have this but you could ask your doc about it i suppose. also, there is a cereal that really helped me after i stopped taking some meds the doc gave for the constipation its called "fiber one". Also apples are good and coffee stimulates the bowels a bit. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
(male)

cwax HB User

It's advice I will take for sure... I want to think that relaxing is all I have to do.. but it FEELS like its something serious... does that make any sense? Maybe it's all in my head. But the one day I tried going without Senokot, the results were disastrous. I am afraid of getting "depedant" on the drug--as mentioned it should not be taken for more than a week stretch, but my doctor has said to keep taking it and I should get better.. so far.. it's worsening. The worst part is, it's beginning to affect my life in negative ways... I can't even function normally.

@KNAYAK: I do feel stressed out lately (hard semester at the U), and I have been trying my best to relax, but this problem just seems to persist.. it won't stop.

edit: @AppleCore I checked out H.pylori @ [url]http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/#2[/url], doesn't seem like I have the other symptoms.. but who knows. I can't help but feeling like my doctor just wants to "get me out of there". It is the one downside to the public healthcare system.

Thanks for the replies and advice so far!

Last edited by cwax; 02-12-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
(male)

edan HB User

Did your constipation cause a pain in your lower left side? Thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
(male)

cwax HB User

Actually; yes. I have constant discomfort in my lower left side, with "gurgling" and pain coming from the area at times.

edit--
Do you know what this means?

Last edited by cwax; 02-14-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
(male)

Uncle En HB User

Hi Cwax. I started out with a bleeding ulcer at 19. Great diet, exercise etc. After it healed i became constipated out of nowhere. I too started taking senna everyday and have been taking it daily for the past 10 years. Yup, Im dependant on them. Nothing else works though. My doc says its o.k as it is natural. Anyway, I have to take them regardless cause my bowels dont work.
Dont mean to scare you or anything, but once you pass that 3-6 month period, you will be dependant. keep getting tests done colonoscopy,sigmoidoscopy etc. Good Luck

Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I would like to share with you all about something that my Aunt told me to do because of Constipation! I got constipated and could not use the bathroom at all and I called my Aunt. She told me to take a cup of Prune Juice and to warm it in the microwave and drink it while it was still warm. i did that. Believe me, it works. Just stay close to the restroom because you will need one.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
(female)

sammyjane7 HB User

Cwax,
I wonder if your bowel flora are balanced. Sometimes pro-biotics can help...I'd suggest getting a good one from the health food store. Also do you have any auto immune diseases in your family? Diabetes, goiter / thyroid, lupus, Celiac, etc?
thanks!

Last edited by sammyjane7; 02-24-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mysticohl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteBound View Post
I would like to share with you all about something that my Aunt told me to do because of Constipation! I got constipated and could not use the bathroom at all and I called my Aunt. She told me to take a cup of Prune Juice and to warm it in the microwave and drink it while it was still warm. i did that. Believe me, it works. Just stay close to the restroom because you will need one.
I agree, the prune juice will unplug you! Drink about a cup and a half or so, to about 16 ounces (I have to hold my nose to drink it) and it will take about an hour or so and will hit. Just be near a bathroom and don't plan anything for a few hours, as you will be "busy" for awhile. I have been using prunes and prunce juice for several years. I am wondering about losing water and minerals though, for myself, and so I would recommend keeping up with your vitamins and water intake, healthy foods. =)

Closed Thread