It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
(male)

bennett1 HB User
blood on toilet paper-not on stool

I am probably freaking out too much on this, but here goes. A few months ago I noticed some bright red blood on the toilet paper after I wiped. Stool looked normal, a light to medium brown (tan). This came and went over a few days. I went and got an at home test kit for blood. Most times it showed no problem, a couple of times it showed postivie. This went away for a couple of months. About a month ago I noticed the blood on the paper again. Just the first couple of wipes then it was gone. Not a large amount. Again, the stool looks normal. Did the test kit again and of course it was positive. Guess that would make sense if this was hemmoriods and it was on the outside of the stool.

Anyway, now I am not noticing the blood on the paper but the kit is still showing positive. I tried to wipe between BM when I was clean and put the paper on the test strip. Guess what, it showed positive. This sounds to me like just an irritated anal area. So under direction from my better half, I am trashing the test kit as it sounds like these are false positives when nothing is on the paper and the stool is a nice light brown. My doc is setting me up with a GI doc just in case for a consultion but wouldn't the stool be something other than the light brown if there was any blood in it? I have had no bowel habit changes and do occasionally have some anal itching.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: blood on toilet paper-not on stool

It sounds like you have hemorrhoids that are bleeding a little but it's always good to get checked out if there is any rectal bleeding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Sounds like a hemmorhoid or small tear to me too. Sometimes if you clean too vigorously with low-quality toilet paper there'll be a small abrasion. The best advice I can give you is to see a doctor and you'll have peace of mind again.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
(male)

bennett1 HB User

Thanks. I have an appt on Tuesday. Today I noticed the stool was reddish-brown, which I thought was the spagetti sauce from last night, but when I wiped, there was a nice blood smear. This has lasted all day. I am hoping it is just a hemorrid or tear that was aggravated.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I have noticed a few spots of blood sometimes on the paper but not in the stool. I was wondering if it could be because I am cleaning my self so hard to be clean that I am causing the blood spots myself. Anyome else do this same thing?

Jan

Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
(male)

bennett1 HB User

Went to the GI doc yesterday. Didn't even examine me, said "when do you want to schedule your colonoscopy". Seems like just the mention of blood and it is a requirement. So now I am freaked out of course. He did say the likehood was a hemrroid or a non cancerous polyp (i am 41, don't smoke, not overweight, and no family history). I have convienced myself I have cancer. However, I don't have any of the other sign/symptoms. Oh well, Monday afternoon I will know.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
(male)

bennett1 HB User

Got my 'scope done today. Results were a LARGE polyp in my transverse colon. This wasn't the reason for bleeding, the hemmorids were. Anyway the doc said 50/50 on maligancy, but he got it all. Didn't think he could at first until he worked around and found the base was relatvely small. The staff all thought this was unusual for someone my age. I was numb and in shock after the 50/50, so I didn't hear much else of what he said. I did call back later in the afternoon and asked some questions of the nurse. The doc had written that he saw NO visual signs of maligancy in the polyp or where he cut it out. Also saw nothing that would make him think it would come back. That made me feel somewhat better. I still have to wait on the pathology, but both the nurse and my primary care (a personal friend) have told me not to worry. Even if it is cancer, they caught it early. Has anybody else had a situation like this?

THE LESSON LEARNED is if you see blood of any kind or amount, get checked. The GI doc bascially told me I wouldn't have made it until my 50th birthday with the size of the polyp. It would have been major surgery to remove it.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

bennett,
Thanks for the report!

An experienced doctor can usually tell by looking at a polyp if it is cancerous or not!

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread